The American trail of carnage

ClimateSanity

From tobacco to oil to monopolies and the killing off of poor white Americans through the opioid epidemic, RT news explores these various topics of American destruction. The point that stood out to me was near the 27 minute mark where he talks about how AIDS was initially mocked as a gay disease, so too has the opioid epidemic been marked as poor white trash disease. He quotes various people as saying that America has oppressed minority groups throughout its existence and now it's payback time for uneducated whites to get oppressed....hence the trump phenomenon. Another fact that stood out was how since 1957, increases and in income have fallen in ever greater proportion to the top 1%. Since 2009, over 95% of all increases in income went to the top 1% whereas in 1957, only 1% of income increases went to the top 1%. One major topic being discussed was the ever increasing enslavement of Americans in various forms. My guess is that people will somehow see this piece as anti American propaganda since RT is a Russian based outlet. For those people, how does this piece further Russian interests?

https://www.rt.com/shows/keiser-report/382267-episode-max-keiser-1049/

https://www.rt.com/shows/keiser-report/382267-episode-max-keiser-1049/

Sent from my XT1254 using TheologyOnline mobile app

rexlunae

My guess is that people will somehow see this piece as anti American propaganda since RT is a Russian based outlet.

Because it's a Russian state-owned propaganda outlet. Not just because it's "Russian based".

For those people, how does this piece further Russian interests?

By reinforcing the sense of victimhood among poor whites, and a sense of social and political decay.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
American conservatives acting as conduits and apologists for Russian propaganda. Who would have thought it?

RT has been frequently described as a propaganda outlet for the Russian government[12][13][14] and its foreign policy.[12][14][15][16][17][18] RT has also been accused of spreading disinformation[18][19][20] by news reporters,[21][22]including former RT reporters.[23][24][25] The United Kingdom media regulator, Ofcom, has repeatedly found RT to have breached rules on impartiality, and of broadcasting "materially misleading" content.[26][27][28][29]

Former KGB officer turned political refugee, Konstantin Preobrazhensky, criticized RT as "a part of the Russian industry of misinformation and manipulation".[22] RT presents itself as a liberal alternative in the United States, but in Europe it appears to have become the flagship of resurgent nationalist parties.[155]
Linas Antanas Linkevičius, Lithuania's Minister of Foreign Affairs, posted on Twitter on 9 March 2014 amid the Crimean crisis, "Russia Today propaganda machine is no less destructive than military marching in Crimea".[156]
United States Secretary of State John Kerry referred to RT as a state-sponsored "propaganda bullhorn" and he continued by saying, "Russia Today [sic] network has deployed to promote president Putin's fantasy about what is playing out on the ground. They almost spend full-time devoted to this effort, to propagandize, and to distort what is happening or not happening in Ukraine."[157] RT responded that they wanted "an official response from the U.S. Department of State substantiating Mr. Kerry's claims."[158] Richard Stengel from the U.S. Department of State responded.[19] Stengel stated in his response, "RT is a distortion machine, not a news organization," concluding that "the network and its editors should not pretend that RT is anything other than another player in Russia's global disinformation campaign against the people of Ukraine and their supporters". However, Stengel supports RT's right to broadcast in the United States.[159]
In Russia, Andrey Illarionov, former advisor to Vladimir Putin, has called the channel "the best Russian propaganda machine targeted at the outside world".[39][94]Media analyst Vasily Gatov wrote in a 2014 Moscow Times article that sharp ethical and reporting skills are not required for Russian media employees, including RT .[160]
Cliff Kincaid, the director of Accuracy in Media's Center for Investigative Journalism, called RT "the well-known disinformation outlet for Russian propaganda".[161]
RT was banned in Ukraine since August 2014.[162]

Don't trust RT for your news.

ClimateSanity

American conservatives acting as conduits and apologists for Russian propaganda. Who would have thought it?

RT has been frequently described as a propaganda outlet for the Russian government[12][13][14] and its foreign policy.[12][14][15][16][17][18] RT has also been accused of spreading disinformation[18][19][20] by news reporters,[21][22]including former RT reporters.[23][24][25] The United Kingdom media regulator, Ofcom, has repeatedly found RT to have breached rules on impartiality, and of broadcasting "materially misleading" content.[26][27][28][29]

Former KGB officer turned political refugee, Konstantin Preobrazhensky, criticized RT as "a part of the Russian industry of misinformation and manipulation".[22] RT presents itself as a liberal alternative in the United States, but in Europe it appears to have become the flagship of resurgent nationalist parties.[155]
Linas Antanas Linkevičius, Lithuania's Minister of Foreign Affairs, posted on Twitter on 9 March 2014 amid the Crimean crisis, "Russia Today propaganda machine is no less destructive than military marching in Crimea".[156]
United States Secretary of State John Kerry referred to RT as a state-sponsored "propaganda bullhorn" and he continued by saying, "Russia Today [sic] network has deployed to promote president Putin's fantasy about what is playing out on the ground. They almost spend full-time devoted to this effort, to propagandize, and to distort what is happening or not happening in Ukraine."[157] RT responded that they wanted "an official response from the U.S. Department of State substantiating Mr. Kerry's claims."[158] Richard Stengel from the U.S. Department of State responded.[19] Stengel stated in his response, "RT is a distortion machine, not a news organization," concluding that "the network and its editors should not pretend that RT is anything other than another player in Russia's global disinformation campaign against the people of Ukraine and their supporters". However, Stengel supports RT's right to broadcast in the United States.[159]
In Russia, Andrey Illarionov, former advisor to Vladimir Putin, has called the channel "the best Russian propaganda machine targeted at the outside world".[39][94]Media analyst Vasily Gatov wrote in a 2014 Moscow Times article that sharp ethical and reporting skills are not required for Russian media employees, including RT .[160]
Cliff Kincaid, the director of Accuracy in Media's Center for Investigative Journalism, called RT "the well-known disinformation outlet for Russian propaganda".[161]
RT was banned in Ukraine since August 2014.[162]

Don't trust RT for your news.
Don't trust CNN for your news. I don't trust anything I read fully. I keep everything at arms length. If you do trust any media source, then you are likely to be a victim of whatever narrative they are pushing. It seems a steady diet of MSM sources and your seeming trust of them has made you a victim of the Russians are out to get us narrative.

rexlunae

Don't trust CNN for your news. I don't trust anything I read fully. I keep everything at arms length. If you do trust any media source, then you are likely to be a victim of whatever narrative they are pushing. It seems a steady diet of MSM sources and your seeming trust of them has made you a victim of the Russians are out to get us narrative.

The Russians *are* out to get us. If you can't figure out that much from their actions, I don't know how to help you.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
The point that stood out to me was near the 27 minute mark where he talks about how AIDS was initially mocked as a gay disease, so too has the opioid epidemic been marked as poor white trash disease. He quotes various people as saying that America has oppressed minority groups throughout its existence and now it's payback time for uneducated whites to get oppressed....
On the opioid topic I think a more interesting comparison is the 'war on drugs' where minorities were the primary user. With this opioid crisis we're seeing people talk about getting medical help and pushing lots of money into it. On the flip side it seems like jail was the primary way of fighting the other 'war on drugs'.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Another fact that stood out was how since 1957, increases and in income have fallen in ever greater proportion to the top 1%. Since 2009, over 95% of all increases in income went to the top 1% whereas in 1957, only 1% of income increases went to the top 1%.
What do you think the cause of that is?

ClimateSanity

What do you think the cause of that is?
Loss of manufacturing. Immigration cheap labor. Those who have usable degrees and connectedness separate from the rest of society in ever greater numbers. The result is that they draw off each other and power each other on while the lower rungs of society are not plugged into this power.

ClimateSanity

On the opioid topic I think a more interesting comparison is the 'war on drugs' where minorities were the primary user. With this opioid crisis we're seeing people talk about getting medical help and pushing lots of money into it. On the flip side it seems like jail was the primary way of fighting the other 'war on drugs'.
The opioid epidemic is conducted through unscrupulous doctors. The common street drugs of the inner city are conducted in public , doing business in predictable ways and predictable types of people. The latter is easier to catch IMO.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
The Russians *are* out to get us.

and we're out to "get" them :idunno:

and the french are out to get us and the chinese are out to get us, and the germans are out to get us

so what?

that doesn't make them our enemies

it makes them our competitors in the global marketplace

rexlunae

and we're out to "get" them :idunno:

and the french are out to get us and the chinese are out to get us, and the germans are out to get us

so what?

that doesn't make them our enemies

it makes them our competitors in the global marketplace

The actions that I'm objecting to have nothing to do with competition in any sort of marketplace.

ok doser

The actions that I'm objecting to have nothing to do with competition in any sort of marketplace.

which actions?

be specific

and realize that i don't have a television or listen to american radio

or read the newspaper

I get my news from the CBC, the BBC and Deutsche Welle

inform me

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Prior to this last election, not I. Thank goodness for John McCain and Lindsey Graham ... two of the only vocal Republicans willing to put America above party.

The GOP has showed its underbelly, and it's ugly. They're the swamp Trump isn't draining. Instead, you have Putin fellow travelers making all kinds of arguments as to why Putin's just a little pussycat, and whining that Libs (!) are being so mean about him and all his little minions (they're just businessmen! whysomean!?) meddling in our political affairs. We have conservative echo chambers bouncing RT from one wall to the other, conflicts of interest interwoven with Russian oligarchs, and Trump is so absolutely feckless that former RNC chairman Steele has said Trump won't last his first term and his clients should put their weight behind Pence, who's worse, even if he has a steady Twitter hand. We're looking less and less like a Republic and more and more (than we were before) like a plutocracy with a crazy orange despot at the wheel.

ok doser

... We're looking less and less like a Republic and more and more (than we were before) like a plutocracy ....

we've always been a plutocracy, anna

even (especially?) during the revolution

and ever since

could it be that the whiny left is so whiny because they're finally discovering there is no santa clause?

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
That's why I said "more than before." And "crazy orange despot," which is definitely a first.

The whiny right is whining because even though they "won," no one's giving them a pretty blue ribbon for their pile of crap. No matter how much spray paint they want to layer on it, underneath it's still just a pile of crap.