ECT That purpose was fulfilled in David's generation

Interplanner

I don't think the Acts 13 line about God's purpose in David's generation is just about David. I think it is the purpose of the monarchy. That purpose was done and over with. The "but" that contrasts with this in v37 is about the saving redemption in Christ, in Ps 16, which David could not do or be.

So when the rest of the exile period prophets speak of a coming kingdom, it has a new sense. It is not going to be a monarchy again. This is clearest in Isaiah, but in Daniel 9 we also see that while Israel dissolves, Messiah has succeeded. This is why Heb 9-10 have no concern about such a monarchy, while they glory in Christ's redemption from sin and death, like Paul in Acts 13.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
You are insane to believe that GOD's promises to Israel were not just as promised; real land with a real kingdom and a real king and a real throne.

That is exactly what they had, and exactly what they will have again ....... AS PROMISED by no less than GOD HIMSELF.
And that right there settles the whole debate, and it is not up for your alterations at all.

Interplanner

You are insane to believe that GOD's promises to Israel were not just as promised; real land with a real kingdom and a real king and a real throne.

That is exactly what they had, and exactly what they will have again ....... AS PROMISED by no less than GOD HIMSELF.
And that right there settles the whole debate, and it is not up for your alterations at all.

There is no need for any of that, if you know your NT. That is why none of it is validated. The kingdom made without human hands is completely different.

You sound like the most developed thing that ever happened in Biblical expression was the monarchy in israel under Judaism. Like you have never read what Hebrews is about.

Those things were shadows/copies of the reality that was coming and has come in Christ. So that the glory of the word of God can fill the whole earth. So that the whole earth is turned upside down, not in anarchy but to glorify God.

SaulToPaul 2

There is no need for any of that, if you know your NT. That is why none of it is validated. The kingdom made without human hands is completely different.

You sound like the most developed thing that ever happened in Biblical expression was the monarchy in israel under Judaism. Like you have never read what Hebrews is about.

Those things were shadows/copies of the reality that was coming and has come in Christ. So that the glory of the word of God can fill the whole earth. So that the whole earth is turned upside down, not in anarchy but to glorify God.

When did God restore the years the locust had eaten?
When did he subdue all things in the earth?
These are the reasons for the 1000 years.

john w

Hall of Fame
I don't think the Acts 13 line about God's purpose in David's generation is just about David. I think it is the purpose of the monarchy. That purpose was done and over with. The "but" that contrasts with this in v37 is about the saving redemption in Christ, in Ps 16, which David could not do or be.

So when the rest of the exile period prophets speak of a coming kingdom, it has a new sense. It is not going to be a monarchy again. This is clearest in Isaiah, but in Daniel 9 we also see that while Israel dissolves, Messiah has succeeded. This is why Heb 9-10 have no concern about such a monarchy, while they glory in Christ's redemption from sin and death, like Paul in Acts 13.

Huh?

View attachment 25730

john w

Hall of Fame

Sure, son....Sure...

Psalm 2:6 KJV

Yet have I set my king upon my holy hill of Zion.

Zecheriah 14 KJV

11 And men shall dwell in it, and there shall be no more utter destruction; but Jerusalem shall be safely inhabited.

12 And this shall be the plague wherewith the Lord will smite all the people that have fought against Jerusalem; Their flesh shall consume away while they stand upon their feet, and their eyes shall consume away in their holes, and their tongue shall consume away in their mouth.

13 And it shall come to pass in that day, that a great tumult from the Lord shall be among them; and they shall lay hold every one on the hand of his neighbour, and his hand shall rise up against the hand of his neighbour.

14 And Judah also shall fight at Jerusalem; and the wealth of all the heathen round about shall be gathered together, gold, and silver, and apparel, in great abundance.

15 And so shall be the plague of the horse, of the mule, of the camel, and of the ***, and of all the beasts that shall be in these tents, as this plague.

16 And it shall come to pass, that every one that is left of all the nations which came against Jerusalem shall even go up from year to year to worship the King, the Lord of hosts, and to keep the feast of tabernacles.

17 And it shall be, that whoso will not come up of all the families of the earth unto Jerusalem to worship the King, the Lord of hosts, even upon them shall be no rain.

18 And if the family of Egypt go not up, and come not, that have no rain; there shall be the plague, wherewith the Lord will smite the heathen that come not up to keep the feast of tabernacles.

19 This shall be the punishment of Egypt, and the punishment of all nations that come not up to keep the feast of tabernacles.

Isaiah 2:3 KJV

And many people shall go and say, Come ye, and let us go up to the mountain of the Lord, to the house of the God of Jacob; and he will teach us of his ways, and we will walk in his paths: for out of Zion shall go forth the law, and the word of the Lord from Jerusalem.

Micah 4:2 KJV

And many nations shall come, and say, Come, and let us go up to the mountain of the Lord, and to the house of the God of Jacob; and he will teach us of his ways, and we will walk in his paths: for the law shall go forth of Zion, and the word of the Lord from Jerusalem.

The LORD God told you not once, but twice. Dig?

Interplanner

Both Christ and Hebrews relegated the concept of a future monarchy with worship system. I think that' s the God saying it twice that I will heed.

Interplanner

Of all places that would sound like Tam about 'God said it; that's final' Acts 13 and 26 would be the place, and they don't.