Texas Court Shoots Down Republican Voter Suppression Attempt.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass

Maybe they will go to a federal court to get it done?

That's good, with reservation. The judge said "I'm not happy with that finding. But the way I look at it, the law requires it." So, is he kind of hinting at what would work on appeal? Because they can appeal standing, and he also said "If I had found standing, I would probably enjoin tomorrow's voting."

So still, a lot of vigilance is required. I wish TH was here to help with the legal stuff.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
This is one of the most extreme right-wing judges, so if even he finds it legal, I doubt if they'll be able to shop a worse judge.

Republicans, BTW, knew about this weeks ago, and timed the lawsuit so there would be no chance of appeal before the election. Now, their deviousness might have bitten them in the hip pocket.

No one denies that these voters were legally able to cast a ballot; it was just that they had medical conditions that made standing in line impossible. But they were from Houston and Harris County, so it the scheme had worked, the republicans would have suppressed maybe 120,000 Biden votes. It's not about justice or ballot security; it's about stealing the election from the American people.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
This is one of the most extreme right-wing judges, so if even he finds it legal, I doubt if they'll be able to shop a worse judge.

Republicans, BTW, knew about this weeks ago, and timed the lawsuit so there would be no chance of appeal before the election. Now, their deviousness might have bitten them in the hip pocket.

No one denies that these voters were legally able to cast a ballot; it was just that they had medical conditions that made standing in line impossible. But they were from Houston and Harris County, so it the scheme had worked, the republicans would have suppressed maybe 120,000 Biden votes. It's not about justice or ballot security; it's about stealing the election from the American people.

Disgusting. Texas won't be the only state, but I hope you're right about Texas.

How do you feel, with your state as a swing state this year, very possibly turning Blue?

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond

I find it hard to believe that there's 120000 people stupid enough to vote for Biden

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Additional information at the Twitter thread.

Screen-Shot-2020-11-02-at-5-28-13-PM.png

https://twitter.com/RMFifthCircuit/status/1323415407831752704?s=20

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Disgusting. Texas won't be the only state, but I hope you're right about Texas.

How do you feel, with your state as a swing state this year, very possibly turning Blue?

It's about 8 years ahead of schedule, by my reckoning. If Biden wins here, that would be the death knell of the republican party as it exists now. They could never put a winning coalition together without Texas.

Recent polls show the race tightening just before today. So those 100,000 plus votes that the GOP tried to steal could possibly be the difference.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
It's about 8 years ahead of schedule, by my reckoning. If Biden wins here, that would be the death knell of the republican party as it exists now. They could never put a winning coalition together without Texas.

Recent polls show the race tightening just before today. So those 100,000 plus votes that the GOP tried to steal could possibly be the difference.

Thanks. History in the making, perhaps. I'll be watching. :) (Reading only - can't deal with any talking heads today...)