Texas Bakers Receive Death Threats for Offering Referral Rather Than Making Cake...

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Texas Bakers Receive Death Threats for Offering Referral Rather Than Making Cake for ‘Gay Wedding’

LONGVIEW, Texas — A Christian-identifying couple in Texas is receiving death threats after offering a referral to two homosexual men rather than being involved with their same-sex ceremony by making the cake for the reception.

According to reports, Ben Valencia and Luis Marmolejo went to Kern’s Bakery in Longview earlier this month with a photograph of what they wanted their wedding cake to look like.

“We just went in there to get a quote,” Valencia told the Longview News Journal, explaining that he and Marmolejo talked with co-owner Edie Delorme for some time without issue. “Then she says, ‘Who’s this for?’ We looked at each other.”

That’s when Delorme, who attends a Baptist church, explained that because of her faith, the bakery could not be involved with the event.

“It’s not against people or what they choose to be part of,” she told the men.

Delorme says that she offered to provide recommendations for other bakeries, but Valencia and Marmolejo just walked out.

The men then took to the media several days later, which in turn contacted the bakery about the alleged discrimination. Delorme said that she would understand if a business didn’t want association with a particular event, and noted that Kern’s Bakery has turned down cakes for other reasons.

Connect with Christian News
Follow @4christiannews

“We don’t do alcohol-related cakes or risque [cakes],” she told reporters. “We’ve turned down cake for, ‘Can you make a giant Skoal can?’ … It’s not that we single out one [reason].”

Delorme said that she and her husband David have also discussed their apprehension about association with events that involve remarriage after divorce.

“We feel like if we are going to be putting our name on something, we want it to encourage godly values,” she stated.

After the matter went public, many lashed out at the Delormes, posting negative, vulgar and angry reviews on Yelp, such as “See you in Hell,” “Their cakes taste like [expletive]” and “They farted in my cupcakes.” But some posted positive reviews to show support.

“These bakers did NOT deny gays business because they were gay. They chose not to make a gay wedding cake. If a … homosexual came in and asked for a normal old birthday cake, they wouldn’t kick him out or deny him service,” one reviewer named John wrote. “So, sorry to deny your self-victimization pity party, but there is no discrimination happening here. None. At all.”

“Sorry for the vile response. The hate is thick with this crowd,” another named Mark wrote. “Keep the faith and keep making all the yummy baked goods! See you next time I come through town!”

Yelp says that it will be taking down some of the comments because they are not bona fide reviews of personal customer service.

Michael Berry, an attorney with First Liberty in Plano, told the Houston Chronicle that the Delormes have been receiving death threats as a result of the matter gong public.

“It’s a mom-and-pop shop, and when they start getting death threats there is something seriously wrong,” he stated. “It gets really ugly and unfortunate but that has a very real effect on the Delormes and their employees.”

“When they start to receive threats towards their family and their business simply because of their religious convictions, there’s something wrong with that picture,” Berry repeated to Fox’s Todd Starnes.

More cake woes caused by the fascists who want their hands in your pockets and demand that your religion is them.

Jose Fly

why should a small business owner be forced to enter into a contract with somebody against their will?

Yeah, this has been done to death here. We all know the script....some of you are willing to go back to the Jim Crow days, just so you don't have to sell things to gays.

Don't worry, history will be just as kind to you as it currently is to segregationists.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Yeah, this has been done to death here. We all know the script....some of you are willing to go back to the Jim Crow days, just so you don't have to sell things to gays.

Don't worry, history will be just as kind to you as it currently is to segregationists.

predictably, you throw the race card as if ethnicity correlates to behavior choice

:loser:

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
why should a small business owner be forced to enter into a contract with somebody against their will?

Which is the gist of the matter that keeps being ignored. A cake/bakery good on a shelve already made and out there for purhcase, isnt a contracted specialty created item.

This is no different than attempting to force her to make a cake shaped like a male body part or to celebrate a divorce. I dont see lawsuits flying over those things, what happened to freedom of conscience and not being forced by the government to violate it?

Jose Fly

why should any private citizen be forced by the government to enter into a contract against their will?

Because we tried the whole "do whatever you want" approach and ended up with widespread discrimination, e.g., the Jim Crow south. And our society decided that was unacceptable.

If you don't like it, then it falls on you to try and convince society that discrimination is actually a good thing that we should go back to.

Jose Fly

Which is the gist of the matter that keeps being ignored. A cake/bakery good on a shelve already made and out there for purhcase, isnt a contracted specialty created item.

This is no different than attempting to force her to make a cake shaped like a male body part or to celebrate a divorce. I dont see lawsuits flying over those things, what happened to freedom of conscience and not being forced by the government to violate it?

Did you even read your own story? The proposed transaction didn't even get that far. As soon as they started the owner asked "who is this for".

ok doser

Because we tried the whole "do whatever you want" approach...

aka freedom of choice, expression, etc

and ended up with widespread discrimination, e.g., the Jim Crow south. And our society decided that was unacceptable.

If you don't like it, then it falls on you to try and convince society that discrimination is actually a good thing that we should go back to.

civil rights legislation in the sixties overstepped its bounds

it was justified to force governmental agencies to accept change

it is not justified to force private citizens to accept change

Jose Fly

It's clear that's your view, but it's equally clear that your view is a minority one that our society is increasingly trending away from. So like I said, I guess you should get to work trying to reverse the trend and convince society that we actually should be trending towards allowing more discrimination, not less.

Have fun. :chuckle:

ok doser

It's clear that's your view, but it's equally clear that your view is a minority one that our society is increasingly trending away from. So like I said, I guess you should get to work trying to reverse the trend and convince society that we actually should be trending towards allowing more discrimination, not less.

Have fun. :chuckle:

nah - we're just discussing this on a discussion board

and you have yet to explain why a private citizen should be forced to enter into a contract against their will

seems like all you can come up with is...

because racism

Jose Fly

nah - we're just discussing this on a discussion board

Then I'm content that society is trending towards my preference and away from yours.

and you have yet to explain why a private citizen should be forced to enter into a contract against their will

I told you....we tried it and didn't like the outcome.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
aka freedom of choice, expression, etc

Exactly, unless said bakery receives government funding, the government has no place telling it what it has to create for someone.

I say though that there are ways around this mess though, just make any specialty creation part of a private membership that people have to agree with the terms to enter into, that you make only what you agree to make, or cater, that those are part of membership services. Ends this problem immediately and is under the law.

Be wise as serpents and gentle as doves.

Dry counties in lots of places get around liquor laws the same ways. You pay 1.00 to join membership, and can drink in hotels, resturants, etc..

Jose Fly

so you think gloating is a good substitute for reasoning and argumentation?

With you, yep.

did you even read what you responded to?

Sure did. You asked why a private business owner should have to sell to people he doesn't want to sell to, and I answered that we tried your approach and didn't like the outcome.