Taking Back Astronomy

Jukia

bob b said:
I would guess that the Genesis story is more reliable than your fish tales. :devil:
An your guess would be incorrect. How long was the flood? Do we have a "ship's log" for that entire time? If so can you direct me to a copy. Have you ever seen a ship's log?

TheDude

bob b said:
It is fortunate for your theory that so much is missing, for this allows you great leeway in imagining what the missing parts must have said.

So, because its missing yours is the true version? How about you address my other posts. I would like to know what you have to say about it.

bob b

Science Lover
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
TheDude said:
So, because its missing yours is the true version? How about you address my other posts. I would like to know what you have to say about it.

I guess my attitude is that we have insufficient data to be certain, so that it is largely a matter of taste which idea appeals to us.

Believe it or not I try not to be too dogmatic about some things about the past. In this case I am influenced by such things as Christ referring to the Torah as the Books of Moses. Hence, I tend to consider that Moses was responsible for the Torah, while conceding that in the case of Genesis he was probably more likely the editor than the original author. Therefore I do not necessarily discount Friedman's theories about multiple original authors, in fact I think he may be largely correct in that regard (BTW I have his book in my personal library).

TheDude

bob b said:
I guess my attitude is that we have insufficient data to be certain, so that it is largely a matter of taste which idea appeals to us.

Believe it or not I try not to be too dogmatic about some things about the past. In this case I am influenced by such things as Christ referring to the Torah as the Books of Moses. Hence, I tend to consider that Moses was responsible for the Torah, while conceding that in the case of Genesis he was probably more likely the editor than the original author. Therefore I do not necessarily discount Friedman's theories about multiple original authors, in fact I think he may be largely correct in that regard (BTW I have his book in my personal library).

And I can see your point. But that doesn't change what I've laid out by using the Bible. It is very probable that Abraham was just passing down Sumerian legends to his children and tribes. You can argue all day long about the records, and what looks like a ships manifest and what looks like mythology. You've ignored the points I've made about that, and just about everything else I've said. But it doesn't change the fact that the stories would have started out as oral tradition, and were later writen down. These are not real time as they happened events. They are just that, legend that was told over the centuries and then writen down. I point to the Illiad as proof of this theory. As long as the stories were once oral tradition, it is safe to guess that Abraham would have been passing down the same oral traditions he had learned as a boy and young man, growing up in Ur, a city of Sumeria.

bob b

Science Lover
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
But it doesn't change the fact? that the stories would have started out as oral tradition

Of course this is not fact but opinion.

I am old enough to recall a time when people claimed that writing was invented after the time of Moses, and hence he could not have been the author of Genesis. This led to the conclusion that the stories must have been handed down "around the campfire". I do not doubt that some of the flood stories around the globe were handed down by oral tradition and that this accounts for their mythological bent.

The Moses account does not sound that way to me. I prefer the idea that Moses, being a prince of Egypt, had access to ancient writings which I believe could have been written by the survivors of the Flood, perhaps Noah's sons, who might have written down details they remembered happening during the flood, perhaps working from daily recordings (sort of a ship's log). Of course this is speculation, but so is any other idea of how the stories got into their present form in Genesis.

The expressions still found in Genesis, "these are the generations of _____", seem to be a form of author signature, as explained in The Tablet Theory of Genesis Authorship.
http://www.ldolphin.org/tablethy.html

allsmiles

bob b said:
I would guess that the Genesis story is more reliable than your fish tales. :devil:

Actually Bob, if Jukia is willing to take the time to post some of his fishing records we won't have to guess. We could compare them with the account in Genesis that I was good enough to spoon feed you a few posts back :chuckle:

I'm still waiting for your response.

MindonFire

Isaiah 40:22 [It is] he that sitteth upon the circle of the earth, and the inhabitants thereof [are] as grasshoppers; that stretcheth out the heavens as a curtain, and spreadeth them out as a tent to dwell in:

Definition Merriam Webster

Ecliptic (n) : the great circle of the celestial sphere that is the apparent path of the sun among the stars or of the earth as seen from the sun : the plane of the earth's orbit extended to meet the celestial sphere

Horizon: (n) 1 a : the apparent junction of earth and sky b : the great circle on the celestial sphere formed by the intersection of the celestial sphere with a plane tangent to the earth's surface at an observer's position — see AZIMUTH illustration

bob b

Science Lover
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
MindonFire said:
Isaiah 40:22 [It is] he that sitteth upon the circle of the earth, and the inhabitants thereof [are] as grasshoppers; that stretcheth out the heavens as a curtain, and spreadeth them out as a tent to dwell in:

Definition Merriam Webster

Ecliptic (n) : the great circle of the celestial sphere that is the apparent path of the sun among the stars or of the earth as seen from the sun : the plane of the earth's orbit extended to meet the celestial sphere

Horizon: (n) 1 a : the apparent junction of earth and sky b : the great circle on the celestial sphere formed by the intersection of the celestial sphere with a plane tangent to the earth's surface at an observer's position — see AZIMUTH illustration

Just a bit of friendly advice not necessarily related to whether I agree with your argument or not.

In analyzing a bible passage under discussion and the meaning is unclear or in dispute it may be better to do a word study on the Hebrew or Greek words rather than the English words of some particular translation.

MindonFire

bob b said:
Just a bit of friendly advice not necessarily related to whether I agree with your argument or not.

In analyzing a bible passage under discussion and the meaning is unclear or in dispute it may be better to do a word study on the Hebrew or Greek words rather than the English words of some particular translation.

Please explain why?

allsmiles

MindonFire said:
Please explain why?

:wave2:

And while you're at it Bob, you can point out the ship's manifest in the scripture passages I posted. It should be easy... right?