Syncretism

iouae

syn·cre·tism
ˈsiNGkrəˌtizəm/Submit
noun
the amalgamation or attempted amalgamation of different religions, cultures, or schools of thought.

What do you all think of the merging of Christian culture with other cultures?

lukecash12

I think it's easier to claim there is syncretism, than it is to demonstrate it. The mere similarity of ideas doesn't mean one groups ideas are being accepted wholesale, nor does it mean that people aren't capable of arriving at similar conclusions independently.

iouae

I think it's easier to claim there is syncretism, than it is to demonstrate it. The mere similarity of ideas doesn't mean one groups ideas are being accepted wholesale, nor does it mean that people aren't capable of arriving at similar conclusions independently.

Suppose you lived in Corinth, and the culture of the day was to go to temple prostitutes. It would be fairly easy to say don't merge Christian culture with that culture, not so?

Our culture may have marvellous things like the media which we can use to spread the Gospel. In this case syncretism would be a good thing, not so?

Eeset

LIFETIME MEMBER
I think it more likely that something different will replace all existing religions. Something not based on ancient texts. Something based on the relationship between souls and God without a handbook.

iouae

I think it more likely that something different will replace all existing religions. Something not based on ancient texts. Something based on the relationship between souls and God without a handbook.

But Christian?
How do you see that happening?

Reactions: Lon

CherubRam

syn·cre·tism
ˈsiNGkrəˌtizəm/Submit
noun
the amalgamation or attempted amalgamation of different religions, cultures, or schools of thought.

Syncretism is taking place around the world due to modern communications.
2 Timothy 3:5
having a form of godliness but denying its power. Have nothing to do with such people.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
syn·cre·tism
ˈsiNGkrəˌtizəm/Submit
noun

it is being merged with the culture of stuff
too much stuff
we are lucky to have the pope
reminding us of the importance of family
it is not something you can give
it is something you need to hang on to

iouae

it is being merged with the culture of stuff
too much stuff

That is a good example of syncretism.

Culture likes stuff.
So church promises to help them acquire it [if they just give their seed to the church first].

So we have "seed faith".
Cannot remember seeing Christ promising us mammon.

iouae

Syncretism is taking place around the world due to modern communications.
2 Timothy 3:5
having a form of godliness but denying its power. Have nothing to do with such people.

Why do you dislike modern communications?
Are we not talking using it? :)

iouae

John 17:6 Romans 12:2

Rom 12
2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

Does that mean I have to join a monastery Lon?

Greg Jennings

syn·cre·tism
ˈsiNGkrəˌtizəm/Submit
noun

It's how Christianity became so widespread and successful. So I'd say it's a good thing

lukecash12

It's how Christianity became so widespread and successful. So I'd say it's a good thing

..... Are you guys even aware of what syncretism is? From the OT on, Christianity has been built on the premise that we are not of the world, that our ideas about God are to come from one source, that other religions do not contain the truth. The bigger chunk of the law, and much of Paul's instruction, is there to keep us from resembling pagans, to keep us from accepting their ideas.

Greg Jennings

..... Are you guys even aware of what syncretism is? From the OT on, Christianity has been built on the premise that we are not of the world, that our ideas about God are to come from one source, that other religions do not contain the truth. The bigger chunk of the law, and much of Paul's instruction, is there to keep us from resembling pagans, to keep us from accepting their ideas.
Then it didn't work, because pagan practices have been adopted and fashioned into Christian tradition repeatedly. See: Christmas and Easter

lukecash12

Then it didn't work, because pagan practices have been adopted and fashioned into Christian tradition repeatedly. See: Christmas and Easter

See my first post in the thread, then. I've seen my fair share of claims to that effect but rarely, if ever, are they substantiated.

False Prophet

Christianity was a syncretism of other religions. Zoastranism, Judaism, Egyptian, the transmigration of the soul came over from India to the Greeks. You can see parallels that came in from Bhuddism in their comparative literature.