Summit Clock Experiment 2.0: Time is Absolute

gcthomas

Nouns can be divided into two categories: tangible and intangible. Time is an intangible noun. Putting it into quotation marks just adds confusion to the discussion.

From Google Nexus and the TOL app!

I think he meant that the word 'time' (ie the name for the concept) is a noun, but the concept of time, that the word 'time' is used as a label for, is not a noun.

Simples.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I think he meant that the word 'time' (ie the name for the concept) is a noun, but the concept of time, that the word 'time' is used as a label for, is not a noun.

Concept is a noun -- an intangible noun, also known as an abstract noun.

When time is used as a label for the concept of time, it is used as a noun, which is not surprising given that "time" and "the concept of time" mean exactly the same thing.

Putting time in quotation marks or appending "the concept of" to it only serve to make the discussion more confusing.

gcthomas

Concept is a noun -- an intangible noun, also known as an abstract noun.

When time is used as a label for the concept of time, it is used as a noun, which is not surprising given that "time" and "the concept of time" mean exactly the same thing.

Putting time in quotation marks or appending "the concept of" to it only serve to make the discussion more confusing.

Nouns are a category of word. Concepts are not words, therefore they cannot be nouns.

It really is that simple.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
YECs love to pretend they are idiots when they have lost an argument.

I don't know how I have lost any arguments. :idunno:

Time is a noun. Putting it in quotation marks or talking about "the concept of time" does not change that fact.

All it does is distract from and confuse the real issue -- that time is the distance between events and it cannot be manipulated.

Charity

Holy quran
5.14. From those, too, who call themselves Christians, We did take a covenant, but they forgot a good part of the message that was sent them: so we estranged them, with enmity and hatred between the one and the other, to the day of judgment. And soon will Allah show them what it is they have done.

Well I found this, packed full, of time, lost arguments, idiots, nouns, an the agreed concept of judgement
So both religions are now waiting for Each other to be losers

Now if Jesus so much as comes back to choose the winner, then the losers will most lightly suffer from an increased faith that infact their god will also return being able to cross Abraham's bosom, an justify them. In fact the whole theory is an eternity to eternity in creation. We just need more time :) but I'm not sure we want to go another round,

Mean while can we see the past waste of time, while waiting waiting for a particular days, or nights, A risk of savage frustrated law having its on going turns at inducing a judgement day makes life on earth rather a pitty. Bullies gather numbers by fear an pain.

Quran 33. The punishment of those who wage war against Allah and His Messenger, and strive with might and main for mischief through the land is: execution, or crucifixion, or the cutting off of hands and feet from opposite sides, or exile from the land: that is their disgrace in this world, and a heavy punishment is theirs in the Hereafter;

Last edited:

Desert Reign

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Nouns are a category of word. Concepts are not words, therefore they cannot be nouns.

Yes.
Lon's theology rests on the erroneous idea that because a certain word is a noun (a grammatical category) then what that word points to must exist as a tangible object.

I don't see the point in having a discussion if it's this basic.

Lon

Yes.
Lon's theology rests on the erroneous idea that because a certain word is a noun (a grammatical category) then what that word points to must exist as a tangible object.

I don't see the point in having a discussion if it's this basic.
Good, end thread :thumb:

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame

:plain:

You're an idiot. How you ever made it out of grammar school is beyond me. The level of your ignorance is higher than the waters of the great flood; its fathoms cannot be measured. When you open your mouth it pours out like the waters bursting forth from the deep. Sir Edmund Hillary would have reckoned it too high to surmount. Its summit cannot be seen, even from the outer edges of the atmosphere. Alpinists would die of asphyxiation and hypothermia before reaching the first cliff.

Last edited:

gcthomas

:plain:

You're an idiot. How you ever made it out of grammar school is beyond me. The level of your ignorance is higher than the waters of the great flood; its fathoms cannot be measured. When you open your mouth it pours out like the waters bursting forth from the deep. Sir Edmund Hillary would have reckoned it too high to surmount. Its summit cannot be seen, even from the outer edges of the atmosphere. Alpinists would die of asphyxiation and hypothermia before reaching the fist cliff.

Do you not understand that there is a difference between a word label and the thing that is being labelled? If so, then I am sorry to hear that.

:chuckle:

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Do you not understand that there is a difference between a word label and the thing that is being labelled? If so, then I am sorry to hear that.

:chuckle:
"If so"? You really are as dumb as I thought.

Last edited:

gcthomas

"If so"? You really are as dumb as I thought?

So you'd rather interpret a typo as idiocy than actually answer the question asked? (Did you mean that statement to be a question, or was the question mark a typo?)

My guess is that your answer would embarrass you. But, given how many imbecilic faux agressive responses you type, I rekon that you are somewhat immune to embarrassment.So, go ahead and answer.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
So you'd rather interpret a typo as idiocy than actually answer the question asked? (Did you mean that statement to be a question, or was the question mark a typo?)
I'd rather make fun of you than answer a stupid question based on ignorance.

Noun is defined as "person, place, thing or idea." A concept is an idea, thus it is a noun.

My guess is that your answer would embarrass you. But, given how many imbecilic faux agressive responses you type, I rekon that you are somewhat immune to embarrassment.So, go ahead and answer.
I have never typed an aggressive response.

gcthomas

Noun is defined as "person, place, thing or idea." A concept is an idea, thus it is a noun.

Wow! You quote-mine dictionaries! I can't quite believe you will even argue this point. The full definition without the redactions, of course, is:

A noun is a word that identifies:

a person (woman, boy, doctor, neighbour)
a thing (dog, building, tree, country)
an idea, quality, or state (truth, danger, birth, happiness).

from http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/words/nouns, but all other sources will agree.

Note the bold part. A noun is a word with a particular grammatical function. A noun is a name for an object or concept, so the objects are not nouns. Only the name for the object is the noun. Not the object itself. Geddit?

I'd rather make fun of you than answer a stupid question based on ignorance.
I have never typed an aggressive response.

It is hardly a passive response ...

:)

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
A noun is a name for an object or concept, so the objects are not nouns. Only the name for the object is the noun. Not the object itself. Geddit?
Of all the things to nitpick! No one was arguing that time itself was a noun; this was always about the word.

You have made yourself a waste of the breath of life God gave you. As every word that comes out of your mouth is a waste of your own breath.

It is hardly a passive response ...

:)
Because those are the only options?

You must be the dumbest idiot in the world.

Last edited:

Jukia

Of all the things to nitpick! You have made yourself a waste of the breath of life God gave you. As every word that comes out of your mouth is a waste of your own breath.

Because those are the only options?

You must be the dumbest idiot in the world.

Such Christian love, so apparent.