Study: Liberals Have Less Self-Control Because They Dont believe they have it..

jgarden

BANNED
Banned
Angel4Truth is "parroting" a conservative online publication that took the original academic study out of context.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Angel4Truth is "parroting" a conservative online publication that took the original academic study out of context.

Compare and contrast the 2, i asked another poster to do that who said what you just did, and they couldnt do it.

Define and contrast exactly what you are referencing with links and compare the 2 and show what is not accurate.

gcthomas

She hasn't read the study, or else she wouldn't have posted. But she is stuck now and I feel for her: how can someone so strident accept the mistake and move on? Even though it is painfully obvious to everyone she had to keep digging her hole.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
She hasn't read the study, or else she wouldn't have posted. But she is stuck now and I feel for her: how can someone so strident accept the mistake and move on? Even though it is painfully obvious to everyone she had to keep digging her hole.

Im still waiting for you to produce the original study, and compare and contrast them, and show specifically what you objected about- what are you waiting for?

gcthomas

Im still waiting for you to produce the original study, and compare and contrast them, and show specifically what you objected about- what are you waiting for?

I linked to it ages ago and pointed out what the research paper actually said.

I'm not beholden to you in my choice of presentation. Do your own compare and contrast. You will have to actually go and read the paper for yourself, though.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
I linked to it ages ago and pointed out what the research paper actually said.

I'm not beholden to you in my choice of presentation. Do your own compare and contrast. You will have to actually go and read the paper for yourself, though.

No, you didn't and now you are just bloviating to cover the fact that you cannot do what i asked. You just want to take shots, and cant back your assertions. Whats new.

Get back with me, when you can back up your initial claim with relevant facts and comparison to show your objection.

jgarden

BANNED
Banned
Original Research Study Title
"The self-control consequences of political ideology"

Angel4Truth's Online Source Title
"Study: Liberals Have Less Self-Control Because They're Less Likely to Believe They Have Self-Control"

"For instance, the belief that effective self-control stems from freewill should elicit greater reliance on internal factors (e.g., belief in personal control, achievement motivation) to enhance performance, whereas the belief that effective self-control does not stem from freewill should elicit greater reliance on external factors (e.g., responsiveness to contextual or social cues in one’s environment) to enhance performance.

Consequently, focusing conservative individuals on the importance of internal factors, and liberal individuals on the importance of contextual or social factors, should increase their ability to achieve their goals (e.g., educational pursuits)"

Conservatives have more self-control than liberals, according to research published this week in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, and the result is likely due to conservatives being more likely to believe that they have self-control.

Last edited:

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
"The self-control consequences of political ideology"

"Study: Liberals Have Less Self-Control Because They're Less Likely to Believe They Have Self-Control"

"For instance, the belief that effective self-control stems from freewill should elicit greater reliance on internal factors (e.g., belief in personal control, achievement motivation) to enhance performance, whereas the belief that effective self-control does not stem from freewill should elicit greater reliance on external factors (e.g., responsiveness to contextual or social cues in one’s environment) to enhance performance.

Consequently, focusing conservative individuals on the importance of internal factors, and liberal individuals on the importance of contextual or social factors, should increase their ability to achieve their goals (e.g., educational pursuits)"

Weird, i see no links to the original study, and no compare and contrast and nowhere showing what is claimed to be inaccurate. Next.

gcthomas

Oh, since you asked so nicely...

Your link is to a report of an interview with the lead author of the study, but it is heavily edited. There is a link to their source interview, in which the author says:
"However, the findings showed that conservatives outperformed liberals only when participants believed freewill has a beneficial impact on self-control. When participants believed freewill could undermine self-control, liberals outperformed conservatives.

'This finding is especially interesting because research to this point has focused only on the positive outcomes of believing in freewill,' says Clarkson. 'However, one could imagine a host of situations where knowing you are responsible for your actions could lead to frustration, anxiety and other negative emotions that could impair self-control. In these contexts, these findings would suggest liberals will demonstrate greater self-control.'"​

He is well aware that his research didn't say that conservatives were better than liberals in general, and that liberals can exhibit the better self control in a variety of situations. The fig 2 in the paper on the authors own website (it is free to download - all hail Google) shows the effects are equal in size for Conservatives and Liberals.

For anything I've missed let me know, then I'll re-Google the paper and read it for you.

A4T - try this post.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
You can't see it even when I found the post for you? Can't you read long sentences?

What part of you haven't compared and contrasted and shown specifically what you have objected to and claimed do you not understand even with your admitted comprehension issue?

No more reply, untill you actually back your claim.