Study: Homophobes Might Be Hidden Homosexuals

zoo22

Interesting Scientific American article from a few years ago:

Homophobes Might Be Hidden Homosexuals

"A new analysis of implicit bias and explicit sexual orientation statements may help to explain the underpinnings of anti-gay bullying and hate crimes"

Homophobes should consider a little self-reflection, suggests a new study finding those individuals who are most hostile toward gays and hold strong anti-gay views may themselves have same-sex desires, albeit undercover ones.

Full article

Arthur Brain

"A new analysis of implicit bias and explicit sexual orientation statements may help to explain the underpinnings of anti-gay bullying and hate crimes"

Chances are there'll be a load of 'homosexuals choose to be that way' or that 'they were made that way through upbringing' etc but I doubt anyone with an IQ above 1.7 could really believe all that.

Some of the obsession and hatred going on with male homosexuality in particular has to stem from something other than bile and ignorance with certain folk...

chair

Chances are there'll be a load of 'homosexuals choose to be that way' or that 'they were made that way through upbringing' etc but I doubt anyone with an IQ above 1.7 could really believe all that.

Some of the obsession and hatred going on with male homosexuality in particular has to stem from something other than bile and ignorance with certain folk...

I don't know. There is plenty of bile and ignorance to go around. Are racists secretly black?

zoo22

I don't know. There is plenty of bile and ignorance to go around. Are racists secretly black?

Of course there are varied reasons, and the article says that.

And sure, there are obviously similarities between racists and homophobes, like being rooted in fear and/or ignorance, but there are also other factors, so there'll be differences too. With homosexuality, it's an issue of sexuality which many people have varied and deep-rooted problems about. That's going to play a role.

Do I think all homophobes are gay? Of course not. That's absurd. Do I think some are? Yes. Besides the various studies, it's even surfaced here at TOL. One of the most outspoken anti-homosexual TOLers I've ever seen (do you remember Just Tom?), after years of "evil homo this and evil homo that" wound up admitting he was a closeted homosexual. His obsession was on par even with aCW's, probably even worse because Just Tom was very execution-focused, which made it even creepier. James Hartline, too, remember him? Wow, he was grappling with some pretty heavy personal issues with being homosexual. Whew. Every so often, there's someone who's obviously so intensely consumed by thoughts of homosexuals, the hatred really seems to be linked to more than ignorance. (Seems like it's usually a guy, and obsessed with thoughts of homosexual men). Though sure, it seems that ignorance is usually a part of the equation as well.

Last edited:

zoo22

From Frontline's "Roots of Homophobia"

Specifically, the present study was designed to investigate whether homophobic men show more sexual arousal to homosexual cues than nonhomophobic men as suggested by psychoanalytic theory. . . .

The results of this study indicate that individuals who score in the homophobic range and admit negative affect toward homosexuality demonstrate significant sexual arousal to male homosexual erotic stimuli. These individuals were selected on the basis of their report of having only heterosexual arousal and experiences.

Full article

I'm sure this has been posted here before. They have other information on the site as well. There are disputes (also in the article). Interesting.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

I believe it. My best friend from high school use to make quite a few jokes and comments about gays.

As soon as he graduated, he came out, now lives in S.F. and is so much more content.

I love happy endings. :D

Last edited:

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Oh, and it's not OK to be gay.

[yt="It's not OK to be gay]Kxpc6I_P5Ik[/yt]

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
If 'homophobes' are really closeted homosexuals, with 5 children, AFTAH's Peter LaBarbera is putting on a good act.

hqdefault.jpg

I wonder if there's been any studies done explaining why people who incessantly defend homosexuality in internet forums are too ashamed to admit that they engage in homosexual behavior?

Hmmmmm....

What Causes Homosexual Desires and Can They Be Changed?
http://www.familyresearchinst.org/2009/02/what-causes-homosexual-desire-and-can-it-be-changed/

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Exactly, that's what I've been saying about Acw all along. ACW has been proven gay :devil:

Says the guy who sends me messages like this:

patrick jane hey dubya. who loves ya babe ?

patrick jane hi honey

On that note: Let's talk about our childhoods.

Hunting, fishing, camping, swimming, baseball, are just a few things that I did with my dad.

Anyone else care to share their childhood experiences with their dad?

alwight

I wonder if there's been any studies done explaining why people who incessantly defend homosexuality in internet forums are too ashamed to admit that they engage in homosexual behavior?

Hmmmmm....
You incessantly and obsessively attacking homosexuals does not make those who choose to respond to your homophobic nonsense incessant or obsessed too.
But what you do might well make you a closeted homosexual whose only outlet in life is to trawl the internet for dubious gay material and post it on an internet forum? :sherlock:

Come on aCW why not unburden yourself, you'd feel so much better I'm sure?
That is what I really think btw, I'm honestly not trying to provoke you.:plain:

If I happened to be gay I wouldn't need to come out, I would just be out, there is no shame in being gay.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
You incessantly and obsessively attacking homosexuals does not make those who choose to respond to your homophobic nonsense incessant or obsessed too.
But what you do might well make you a closeted homosexual whose only outlet in life is to trawl the internet for dubious gay material and post it on an internet forum? :sherlock:

Come on aCW why not unburden yourself, you'd feel so much better I'm sure?
That is what I really think btw, I'm honestly not trying to provoke you.:plain:

If I happened to be gay I wouldn't need to come out, I would just be out, there is no shame in being gay.

We're currently talking about "what causes homosexuals desires and can they be changed?

I just talked about the quality time I spent with my dad. While I know that you were close to your mom (and I gave you praise for taking care of her before she died), I don't recall ever hearing about your dad.

Was he a part of your life Al?

Zoo and patrick jane have talked about their dysfunctional upbringing in other threads, I just want to know more about your childhood Al so that I can try and understand what caused your HATRED of God and hence the defense of homosexuality.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
I believe. My best friend from high school use to make quite a few jokes and comments about gays.

As soon as he graduated, he came out, now lives in S.F. and is so much more content.

I believe too. My best friend from high school use to make quite a few jokes and comments about blacks.

As soon as he graduated, he came out as a black man, now lives in Harlem and is so much more content.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Says the guy who sends me messages like this:

patrick jane hey dubya. who loves ya babe ?

patrick jane hi honey

On that note: Let's talk about our childhoods.

Hunting, fishing, camping, swimming, baseball, are just a few things that I did with my dad.

Anyone else care to share their childhood experiences with their dad?

Deflecting and defensive, that proves it. Just because you did manly things with your manly dad ? Thanks for coming out, you know we won't judge you.