Study: Homophobes Might Be Hidden Homosexuals

Arthur Brain

His argument is that because he can't conceive of himself doing something then that means that nobody can do it.

A person afraid of heights is unable to choose to jump out of an airplane.
But, many people choose to jump out of airplanes every day.

If his fear of being homosexual is so great (true homophobia) that he is unable to choose to be homosexual, that is one thing.
Claiming that nobody else can do what his fear prevents him from doing is something else entirely.

And yet every day there are people without a fear of being homosexual that choose to try it.

Eh? Where on earth did you leap to the bizarre conclusion that my lack of choice in orientation or attraction is rooted in any sort of fear?!

Are you completely bonkers?

:freak:

genuineoriginal

The answer is no, you can't.
You are in denial.

Many people have made just the choice you are claiming cannot be made.
Bear in mind dude that this guy thinks we can all "train" ourselves to fall in love with cutlery sets & laminate flooring etc...
There is documented evidence of people choosing to fall in love with bridges and other inanimate objects.
Why do you deny it?
Oh, right, it is your fear of changing your sexual preferences.

genuineoriginal

Eh? Where on earth did you leap to the bizarre conclusion that my lack of choice in orientation or attraction is rooted in any sort of fear?!
You are afraid of being a homosexual, therefore you have convinced yourself that you can't choose to be one.

Your participation in the homosexual threads comes from your deep fear which drives you to defend your choice to believe you can't choose to be a homosexual.

It is simple pop psychology.

lovemeorhateme

Oh good, for a second there I thought I might actually have to produce something for someone who wouldn't mind intelligent debate. Thanks for saving me the time.

If you could actually offer evidence, I would listen.

Edit: But even if people were born that way, that would still not make acting upon homosexual feelings right or moral.

Arthur Brain

You are afraid of being a homosexual, therefore you have convinced yourself that you can't choose to be one.

I've never had cause to fear it. My romantic and sexual attractions have simply always been - and are - towards the opposite sex. Just because I have no latent homosexual attractions and have and never had any choice in the matter does not equate to any sort of fear. I simply just ain't wired that way is all. Women do it for me, not blokes.

Your participation in the homosexual threads comes from your deep fear which drives you to defend your choice to believe you can't choose to be a homosexual.

Don't give up the day job dude whatever you do cos you plain suck as a psychologist. Wrong on all counts. I participate on such threads through a mixture of bemusement, amusement and to debate.

It is simple pop psychology.

Simple minded would be more apt...

lovemeorhateme

Are there any verifiable and critically lauded studies that state that people can't be born homosexual? It doesn't sound to me as though you chose any latent homosexual attractions else why be so desperate to find studies that proved that you didn't? If you didn't actually make a volitional decision in the process of being attracted to men then that's all the proof right there isn't it?

If homosexuals claim they were born that way then it's up to them to prove that, not the other way around. The proof isn't there although many seem to think that it is. I've stated this many times on TOL now: I did not choose to experience homosexual feelings, but I did choose to reject them. However, to state that because I didn't choose to have those feelings means that I must have been born with them is a huge leap with no evidence supporting it.

genuineoriginal

I've never had cause to fear it. My romantic and sexual attractions have simply always been - and are - towards the opposite sex. Just because I have no latent homosexual attractions and have and never had any choice in the matter does not equate to any sort of fear. I simply just ain't wired that way is all. Women do it for me, not blokes.

I hope you never have a reason to believe otherwise.

For many others, it is not that simple.

Arthur Brain

You are in denial.

Many people have made just the choice you are claiming cannot be made.

There is documented evidence of people choosing to fall in love with bridges and other inanimate objects.
Why do you deny it?
Oh, right, it is your fear of changing your sexual preferences.

Eh, there's certainly evidence of people falling in love with such yes, not so much choosing to fall in love with them and in those cases it's pretty obvious there's psychological reasons attached.

Once again oh nutty one, fear is completely irrelevant to a hard wired orientation. I'm attracted to the opposite sex, that's just the way it is and how it always has been.

zoo22

I hadn't seen this study from last year:

Homophobia Linked To Psychological Traits, Suggesting It Could Indicate Mental Health Disorders

Homophobia, or the irrational intolerance of homosexual men and women by heterosexual people has often been interpreted as a vehicle of prejudice and hate, but a recent study finds it could also be attributed to psychological problems. Publishing their findings in the Journal of Sexual Medicine, researchers discovered that certain psychological traits, along with maladaptive defense mechanisms, could potentially feed into homophobic attitudes.

Full article

This part is interesting:

After evaluating participants’ scores, the team first discovered that homophobia was more likely to be reported in men than women. They also found that those who displayed homophobia were more likely to utilize immature defense mechanisms, suggesting a maladaptive and problematic approach to uncomfortable social situations. Finally, and most importantly, researchers found evidence for psychological traits within homophobic individuals; these people were more likely to display psychoticism, which, in extreme cases, could be a predictor of psychotic disorders like schizophrenia, as well as personality disorders. In minor forms, psychoticism manifests as states of hostility and anger.

Full article: Homophobia Linked To Psychological Traits, Suggesting It Could Indicate Mental Health Disorders

There does seem to be an irrational over-the-top hostility and anger with some of the people around here who have a deep obsession with homosexuals. Just Tom, for example, would argue, insult, lash out at pretty much anyone.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Don't give up the day job dude whatever you do cos you plain suck as a psychologist. Wrong on all counts. I participate on such threads through a mixture of bemusement, amusement and to debate.

Simple minded would be more apt...

I hate to be graphic but making my point requires it.
If when you were a virgin, someone got you drunk or druged you and, in the dark, performed a sex act on you, and it felt amazing. Then you later found out the person who did this was the same sex you are. Do you know for a fact that this would not have had an effect on who you are attracted to?

lovemeorhateme

I hadn't seen this study from last year:

Homophobia Linked To Psychological Traits, Suggesting It Could Indicate Mental Health Disorders

This part is interesting:

There does seem to be an irrational over-the-top hostility and anger with some of the people around here who have a deep obsession with homosexuals. Just Tom, for example, would argue, insult, lash out at pretty much anyone.

Yet nowhere do they define exactly what 'homophobia' is. It's described as 'irrational intolerance' which is a very vague term. So how are the people who did this study defining 'homophobia'?

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I did not choose to experience homosexual feelings, but I did choose to reject them..

Exactly ... which is why it is so ludicrous when someone claims people choose to be homosexual ... OR heterosexual.

Because one does not act on their homosexuality does not mean they are not homosexual. It's not action but rather sexual attraction and feelings that defines our sexuality.