Status
Not open for further replies.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Duh, zippy. It's not hypocritical "gutter sniping" when a mod does it. ;)
Barbie earned it. He's always on the attack with his posts. Read the rules again. It's name calling without cause.

Sherman

Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I do call people names when it is earned. I do it sparingly. It has more impact that way.

WizardofOz

Barbie earned it. He's always on the attack with his posts. Read the rules again. It's name calling without cause.

On the contrary. I was going by your definition of "gutter snipe":
Gutter snipe--an apt term for a person who does personal attacks instead of showing how a poster is wrong.

Barbie is also a blovating doofus that likes to repeat himself. I don't see any substance in those posts.

It's textbook by your definition. You made a personal attack rather than show how the poster was wrong. You "gutter-sniped". It's OK of course. It should be allowed and sometimes even encouraged. It's a part of what makes TOL fun; clever insults.

Wow - Walt's more of an idiot than I realized.

Piezoelectricity causing radioactivity? How does he dream this stuff up?

Reason was given for name-calling (of a non-poster to boot). Notice the argument at the end.

It's all in good fun, Inzl. It's clear that you'll do what you want while disregarding any semblance of consistency. I'm sure we'll all adapt and get a long just fine.

I cannot help if it entertains, however :p

Sherman

Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
4. Thou SHALL NOT call other TOL members names without cause. Appropriately identifying the wicked is not only allowed but encouraged. Again, TOL is a right-wing Christian forum and therefore our bias is not hidden.

"All of the above commandments are subjective in nature and will be determined on a case by case basis by the TOL staff."

Infractions are handed out if the name calling is without cause.

zippy2006

It's all in good fun, Inzl. It's clear that you'll do what you want while disregarding any semblance of consistency. I'm sure we'll all adapt and get a long just fine.

I cannot help if it entertains, however :p

Christ wasn't exactly a fan of hypocrisy, but on this scale it is quite funny. :chuckle:

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Hey, it's the way it is on TOL. If you want a level playing field there's always debate club. I'm not offended; it's part of the atmosphere here.

zippy2006

Hey, it's the way it is on TOL. If you want a level playing field there's always debate club. I'm not offended; it's part of the atmosphere here.

And yet the slope has certainly increased. Knight's slope provided for free speech to a very large degree, and therefore invited and welcomed those of differing beliefs, perhaps treating them harshly at times but allowing them to fight back, not tying their hands behind their backs as they are struck. Not so anymore.

If people don't like being hit without being allowed to strike back, being abused without being allowed to defend themselves or retaliate, or dealing with hypocritical moderation, they will leave. TOL is inevitably becoming less lively. The irony--and most unfortunate problem--is that it is "Christians" who are taking back with their left hand what they have given with their right. If you are a non-Christian who has survived on TOL, then chances are you already know how to turn the other cheek more than the Christians.

I am all in favor of a more civil environment, but strongly against a half-civil hypocritical environment. So the working model for TOL is changing: debate and lively discussion will slowly begin to dry up as this becomes another strongly-biased forum of like-minded people reinforcing what they already believe; a technologically advanced bridge club, not a theological or political forum. :idunno:

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
And yet the slope has certainly increased. Knight's slope provided for free speech to a very large degree, and therefore invited and welcomed those of differing beliefs, perhaps treating them harshly at times but allowing them to fight back, not tying their hands behind their backs as they are struck. Not so anymore.

If people don't like being hit without being allowed to strike back, being abused without being allowed to defend themselves or retaliate, or dealing with hypocritical moderation, they will leave. TOL is inevitably becoming less lively. The irony--and most unfortunate problem--is that it is "Christians" who are taking back with their left hand what they have given with their right. If you are a non-Christian who has survived on TOL, then chances are you already know how to turn the other cheek more than the Christians.

I am all in favor of a more civil environment, but strongly against a half-civil hypocritical environment. So the working model for TOL is changing: debate and lively discussion will slowly begin to dry up as this becomes another strongly-biased forum of like-minded people reinforcing what they already believe; a technologically advanced bridge club, not a theological or political forum. :idunno:

I think Inzl Kett is doing a great job and you should quit your whining.

zippy2006

I think Inzl Kett is doing a great job and you should quit you whining.

I suppose it goes without saying that I disagree. The rest will have to read what I wrote and what you wrote and consider which one makes the most sense. :e4e:

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass

Well said. Thank you.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I suppose it goes without saying that I disagree. The rest will have to read what I wrote and what you wrote and consider which one makes the most sense. :e4e:

I'm not holding my breath waiting for you to quit whining, mind you.

Status
Not open for further replies.