Southern Baptists Call For Kids To Be Pulled From School

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Crow

firechyld, the homeschoolers I know don't exist in a vaccum. They interact with other homeschoolers, and many teach each other's children, through face-to-face meetings, by phone, and on computer, in many instances.

Homeschool parents educate themselves as well as their kids because they have made a commitment to personally see that their kids are educated.

There are resources for kids in advanced areas. Many colleges in the US offer advanced placement classes. My sister's daughter took college algebra and physics at the age of 15. She was not homeschooled, but her abilities exceeded the ability of the local public school to adequately accomodate. This option is open to homeschoolers as well. My sister's daughter had earned a year and a half of college credit by the time she graduated from high school.

The homeschool kids I know as a whole are much better educated than the public school kids I know. I was in the top 10 percent of my public high school, and it wasn't because of the teachers, but because my father saw to it that HE educated me. Sure, I went to public school, but it was my father who taught me to read the encyclopedia before I even hit kindergarten, (and I'm dyslexic!) astronomy from the time I was 3, multiplication and division {with dried beans on the kitchen table) by the time I was 5, history long before it raised it's head in public school, geology (fossil digs from the age 4 on) and a host of other subjects.

Sure, I went to public school. In the 60's and early 70's homeschooling was not as practical is it is for parents today. And I did learn some things in public school. I learned how to bend glass with bunsen burners and make bongs and pipes in Chemsitry class. I learned that most of my peers were boorish and ill-behaved boors who never read Twain, or Voltaire, nor much of anything that wasn't required. And I learned all of the best places to hide out and skip classes because I was bored to death from going over material I had learned at home years before.

You sure you didn't live in California? :chuckle: We weren't allowed to use the bunsen burners because someone used them to make bongs and pipes about five years before I was in Chemistry. :chuckle:

firechyld

Kids used to make bongs in my art class. We got some pretty elaborate ones. As Dennis Leary once said:

"Marijuana doesn't lead to other drugs. It leads to f*ing carpentry!"

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Okay. Firechyld, let me show the difference between public schools when I was a child and public schools when my daughter was old enough, in California.

In 1974, I started kindergarten already knowing how to read, write, and do basic math. I also knew my colors and how to count to one hundred. I had either taught myself or been taught by a babysitter all of this before I was four years old. And, I didn't start kindergarten until I was almost six.

In 1995, my daughter started kindergarten in a private school already knowing how to read at a fifth or sixth grade level, how to write in cursive (not printing) any word you gave her, and knowing how to multiply and divide. Although I place a very high emphasis on learning throughout life, I cannot take credit for any of this. My daughter taught herself all of this before she was four. And, she did not start kindergarten until she was almost six.

Now, when I was in school, the teachers looked at what I could do and adjusted my work accordingly. When something was too easy for me, they would give me something harder or assign me to help students that were having problems understanding the work. My entire school life was pretty much like this until I graduated high school.

My daughter's experience was completely different. She was not allowed to get harder work and was told to, "Sit down, shut up, and not bother anyone," by the teacher.

My husband and I talked to the principal about this and they switched her to another class. Things went a little better. Whenever my daughter finished her work, the teacher would give her a book to read (usually an encyclopedia). By the time she finished kindergarten, she had finished the entire set of Encyclopedia Britanica.

In first grade, I never heard a word from the teacher about my daughter doing anything wrong until the last two weeks of school. But, everyday, she would come home and tell me that the work was too easy and that the teacher made her read whenever she finished her work early. The last two weeks of the school year, her teacher started telling me that :jessilu: was having a problem focussing on things after she was finished with her work. :doh: What do you expect? She had read every book in the classroom and was bored to tears. I sat in on a class because the teacher would not quit complaining. What I saw cleared up the whole thing to me. :jessilu: finished her work for the entire day by the time she was in school for two hours. The teacher pulled out their reading book and started asking questions about the story they were assigned. :jessilu: raised her hand to answer every question and the teacher would turn her back on her and get the answer from another child. I asked the teacher about it and she said that she didn't believe that :jessilu: had really read the story so she wouldn't choose her. So, I borrowed the teacher's book to ask the same questions she had asked the class. :jessilu: answered every one of them correctly. The teacher shrugged her shoulders and walked out of the room. I went to the principal's office and withdrew my daughter from that school immediately. I was not going to allow my husband to pay what he was for a teacher to treat my daughter the way this one did.

We basically fooled around for the last two weeks of school and for the summer. Then, we decided to try public school for second grade. That lasted all of one month. By the end of the month, the teacher told me that I shouldn't have allowed my daughter to learn to read before she completed kindergarten and suggested that I homeschool her because public schools could not deal with children that intelligent.

That is why I started homeschooling. It's turned into a moral/religious thing over the years as I've seen schools wherever I've been get more and more violent and heard of kids getting more disrespectful to adults and to each other.

During that first year of homeschooling, I was scared to death. I did not think that I was qualified to teach my daughter. She wanted to learn things that I had never learned about in school. When she wanted to learn about geology (which I had never bothered learning about in my life), my husband and I hired a tutor for her. When she wanted to learn astronomy, I looked into online classes.

I can tell you now, that as far as what she has to have in order to get into a college, I can teach her pretty much everything. I took AP classes in high school and, believe it or not, I remember everything I learned. I pretty much have a photographic memory. I read encyclopedias to relax. I can teach her math from algebra to calculus and science from physical science to physics. I can teach her all four years of English and literature, history, and music. I can teach her Spanish because I pretty much grew up in a Spanish-speaking area. It's almost a second language to me. I can buy lab equipment and dissecting samples from a school supply dealer.

If I get stuck or she wants to learn something that I know absolutely nothing about, I will hire a tutor. Right now, she's talking about wanting to learn welding and auto repair. I am not mechanically inclined at all. But, I've already talked to a few mechanics and have three who are willing to take her on as an apprentice as soon as she turns fifteen (legal working age here). If she wants to learn more about art, there are art classes with the college or the YMCA. If she wants to go into a sport, I'll have to go through the county if possible. For physical education, she has horseback riding right now. We may go back into karate later.

Did I answer your questions? I don't know if these answers are good enough for you. But, they're all I have for you. You don't have to homeschool for religious reasons. God knows that's not why I started homeschooling. Homeschooled children, in my opinion, tend to be smarter and more respectful than public schooled children. They tend to be able to get along well with all age groups as opposed to the group they're stuck with for six hours a day, one hundred eighty days a year.

firechyld

Thanks, Nori. That was really thorough. :)

It's all theoretical at the moment, since I have no immediate plans to breed. However, I have considered homeschooling... I'm hoping to get into faculty and research, so it might fit in well with my lifestyle. My main aversion was that most homeschoolers seem to homeschool because of religious reasons, and I wouldn't want to unintentionally force my child into a religious clique... especially one I don't adhere to!

I had similar problems to your daughter in primary school... high school was slightly better, but the damage had been done.

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by firechyld

Thanks, Nori. That was really thorough. :)

It's all theoretical at the moment, since I have no immediate plans to breed. However, I have considered homeschooling... I'm hoping to get into faculty and research, so it might fit in well with my lifestyle. My main aversion was that most homeschoolers seem to homeschool because of religious reasons, and I wouldn't want to unintentionally force my child into a religious clique... especially one I don't adhere to!

I had similar problems to your daughter in primary school... high school was slightly better, but the damage had been done.

You're welcome. :) As you can tell, this subject is near and dear to me. There is a newsgroup with google groups (used to be with deja) called misc.education.home-school.misc. The people on that list are from all walks of life and pretty much all religious backgrounds (wiccan, atheist, Christian, etc). If you have any questions about homeschooling, I'm sure you'll be able to get help there if I can't help you out.

firechyld

I think I'll leave the actual research until I'm at lease planning to have a child, but you've put the seed in my head. :)

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Does your daughter have many friends she hasn't met through homeschooling or church?

Oh my! Yes. She's got friends that she met when I taught Spanish at a private school here. And, she meets kids at the library. And, there are all of our neighbors' kids. :) She rides horses at one of my neighbors' house. He likes to have the kids and their parents come over on the weekends (this is the neighbor who supplies us with fresh venison every winter). :chuckle: We live around the corner from a Girl Scout camp. So, every summer, she meets a new bunch of girls that go camping there. The Girl Scout leaders usually ask her to teach the girls how to hunt crawdads or something similar. Our dogs help her make friends as well. We have three collies. And, out here, everyone loves collies. So, people will stop as they're driving down our road to ask about them. :)

Then, there are also the girls that she's met from TOL. ;)

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

I think I'll leave the actual research until I'm at lease planning to have a child, but you've put the seed in my head. :)

I love homeschooling my daughter! I've seen how so many girls the same age "hate" their mothers. :jessilu: and I are much closer. And, the one-on-one teacher/student ration is better in my opinion.

Art Deco

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Southern Baptists Call For Kids To Be Pulled From School

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Southern Baptists Call For Kids To Be Pulled From School

Originally posted by Nineveh

I was just wondering what might happen if enough kids escaped federal pris...public school. Somehow I can't imagine the taxes being lowered. Perhaps they would use the left over funds from vacancies to ram through the "all day kindergarten" and/or "mandatory kindergarten" programs...

Oh yeah and .. GO! SBC!! :bannana: :jump: :BRAVO:

Nineveh, I sense the rustle of the "wind of change." God may be about answering prayers. 2 Chronicles 7:14 "If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

Public Education has been the delivery system for the poison of Secular Humanism for over 100 years. Look around and see the result, moral perversity and social chaos.

Nineveh

Merely Christian
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Southern Baptists Call For Kids To Be Pulled From School

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Southern Baptists Call For Kids To Be Pulled From School

Originally posted by Art Deco

Nineveh, I sense the rustle of the "wind of change." God may be about answering prayers. 2 Chronicles 7:14 "If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

If TOL had a vote today, you would be my first choice in the "eternally optimisitc" catagory :) I hope the trend to break kids out of fed school continues, but here in Indiana, the more kids that flee the fed, the more "in debt" they seem to be and the more kindergarten programs they seem to want.

Public Education has been the delivery system for the poison of Secular Humanism for over 100 years. Look around and see the result, moral perversity and social chaos.

Amen.

Christine

Originally posted by Poly

Christine, you're awesome! It's so great that you know to offer this kind of information and help when asked about homeschooling. :thumb:
Thanks :poly: here are some more sites. www.abeka.com publishes homeschooling curriculum for all 12 grades plus kindergarten and pre-school. They also offer correspondence programs. http://www.highschoolscience.com/ publishes high school, junior high, and even some elementary science books. (I use this one and think it's great). http://www.bju.edu/index also publishes homeschool curriculum and textbooks, but I think they offer more electives than Abeka (I've never used BJU, but others on TOL have). www.sonlight.com is really neat, you use children's book as the reading and history texts. www.christianbook.com sells homeschooling materials, some at discount prices.

Jesus Lives!

Originally posted by Christine

Congratulations for deciding to look into it. www.hslda.org can give you the leagal info, the laws in your state, what's required, etc. Also, www.triviumpursuit.com tells you about the classical homeschooling method. www.vegsource.com/homeschool is a good place to buy used materials.

Thanks so much! I will copy this and look into it soon. I have thought about this for a few years but now that this report from the Southern Baptist has come out I am thinking about it more. I will be praying about it. Thanks again!

Christine

Originally posted by Living4Him

Thanks so much! I will copy this and look into it soon. I have thought about this for a few years but now that this report from the Southern Baptist has come out I am thinking about it more. I will be praying about it. Thanks again!
Don't forget my second post, which had even more links.

My ex-roomate in college was homeschooled. One of the smartest, most educated guys I ever knew. Both of his parents were highly educated, the father had advanced degrees in math and literature (the guy was a playwright) and the mother had a degree in English and education. He finished his high school curriculum super early and went to college at the age of 16.

My own parents didn't have the means to homeschool me or to send me to a private school, so I got a public education. Not that that's a bad thing - my public school had tons of opportinties - I joined the track, badminton and swim teams, math, science, english, and national honor societies, attended national competitions in TSA (technology student association) and took and passed 10 AP classes, good for 30 college credits (a full year!)

Like anything else, public school is what you make of it. There are plenty of opportunites for the motivated to get ahead and advance themselves, as there are plenty of opportunities for the apathetic/lost to dig themselves ever deeper into a hole. Much like the real world.

cur_deus_homo

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Southern Baptists Call For Kids To Be Pulled From School

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Southern Baptists Call For Kids To Be Pulled From School

Originally posted by Art Deco

You should applaud the Southern Baptists for finally understanding the damage a Secular Humanist anti-God world view does to impressionable Christian young people.
Any damage done is the responsibility of Christian parents who want to shelter their children from the real world, which is not Christian, and it is also their responsibility because many Christian parents do a horrible job discipling their children and training them in the ways of righteousness, including members of the SBC.

If we Christians were truly raising strong, mature Christian children, grounded in faith in Jesus, we wouldn't have to worry about the Secular Humanist Devil corrupting our children as you suggest. Christians would be influencing the public arena in positive ways instead of claiming that some kind of retreat to the ghetto of the "church" is the solution. Such a retreat is anti-Christ and anti-Great Commission.

JoyfulRook

Originally posted by cur_deus_homo

Any damage done is the responsibility of Christian parents who want to shelter their children from the real world, which is not Christian, and it is also their responsibility because many Christian parents do a horrible job discipling their children and training them in the ways of righteousness, including members of the SBC.

If we Christians were truly raising strong, mature Christian children, grounded in faith in Jesus, we wouldn't have to worry about the Secular Humanist Devil corrupting our children as you suggest. Christians would be influencing the public arena in positive ways instead of claiming that some kind of retreat to the ghetto of the "church" is the solution. Such a retreat is anti-Christ and anti-Great Commission.
So you if living in Israel during the Biblical times, you would send your kids to the Philistine school down the road? Smart. :chuckle: BTW: The Great Commission was for Israel, not the Body.