Sons of God came in to the daughters of men, and they bore children to them - Gen 6

fzappa13

It's always fascinating to follow along with the discussions of the sons of God,Giants ect. Each time I see one I try to follow along and ponder the different views by those involved. First one will say this and another will say that,lol it's easy at times to anticipate the next response.

Some of these discussions go here and others there,languages,books not found in the bible,original text type and then one issue after the next until everyone stops posting,lol.

I like to see the good,juicy discussions where everyone gets things down to whether or not it makes a difference if they consider ancient Hebrew text type verses the Hebrew after the captivity in Babylon. I suppose it would make quite a difference if the meanings of the prefixes and suffixes surrounding those root words held meanings themselves. I say this because the the software most generally found on the internet is which text type ancient or ?...

I think limiting what you accept as input on this subject to the Hebrew would be a mistake. If, as a given, you accept the entirely of the Bible as truth, then one must at least entertain the notion that what is offered in the O.T. is addressed in the N. T. as well. The sons of God being one of several cases in point.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER

whitestone

When Jesus told a group on men they were of their father the devil he was speaking figuratively not biologically.

That's curious that you bring up that certain "group of men" from John 8.,,,

That group of men from John 8:33 KJV is in my opinion an riddle if you can solve it,,,that is

"we have our father Abraham and have never been in bondage",,,so who in the scriptures were decedents of Abraham but had not been in bondage in Egypt,Assyria,Babylon,Persia,Greece ect. and where did they live?

Ben Masada

Now it came about, when men began to multiply on the face of the land, and daughters were born to them, that the sons of God saw that the daughters of men were beautiful; and they took wives for themselves, whomever they chose. The Nephilim were on the earth in those days, and also afterward, when the sons of God came in to the daughters of men, and they bore children to them. Those were the mighty men who were of old, men of renown. - Genesis 6:1-2,4 bene ha'elohim = sons of God = angels in O.T. bath ha'adam = daughters of man = humans nĕphiylim = half-breeds human/angelic hybrids.

I have an either-or response to the text about the Nephilim. First, when Ezra, the most famous Scribe in the History of Israel organized the Tanach into the Canon when still in Babylon, he found, for some reason useful to add the text about the Nephilim in Genesis 6, just prior to the Flood to illustrate the condition of Mankind by then. The text existed already as a folkloric legend in Babylon literature.

On the other hand, the text could be looked at as mix-marriages between the children of God with the daughters of man, expressions very common when Ezra was dealing with the struggle to solve the problem with the fact that thousands of Jews had married non-Jewish women in Babylon and that was making extremely difficult for Ezra to establish the second Jewish Commonwealth in the post-exilic era after the 70 years in Babylon. IMHO, I go for the second interpretation because
it makes much more sense.

Last edited:

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
If its one or the other,...each will 'choose' what they believe to be the case....

If its one or the other,...each will 'choose' what they believe to be the case....

Allowing for multiple interpretations of a narrative passage of Scripture is error. Unless one is a Romanist seeking the fourfold meaning—sigh​—othere can only be one proper interpretation. Those that claim otherwise need to examine their exegetical presuppositions that are being read into the passage as unwarranted freight. The passage in question cannot allow the view that the sons of God can be humans of ill repute or supernatural beings. This is a blatant ontological contradiction. It is one or the other.

AMR

It just so happens that the 'fallen angel' view was a predominant view in the intertestamental period and first few centuries, as we see in the Books of Enoch, Jasher and Jubilee. Some early church fathers also held the 'fallen angel' view, but we would point out that the Nephilim themselves were the offspring of such unions,....whether they were actual 'giants' or not. It was also believed that the spirits of these offspring hybrids roamed around freely after their physical bodies died, and became the hordes of 'demons' on the earth. So,...of course a reader will interpret it one way or another, and that's what people have been doing since the 'Nephilim' appeared in the text :) - a more peculiar question is, if the 'fallen angel' view is true, why this view and accompanying scriptures were banned, as if an effort was made to cover it up :think:

Rob Skiba has some good info on this in his two videos, and more -

whitestone

Deuteronomy 2 KJV ,,,lol,the giants existed in those places before Israel's children entered the promised land,it would be impossible for them to be from their bloodline(intermarriage) if they were in captivity for 400yrs and in the desert for 40yrs.

beameup

According to Jewish tradition (Talmud), demons are the disembodied spirits of the nephilim.

Now the Holy Spirit expressly says that in latter times some will depart from the faith, giving heed to deceiving spirits and doctrines of demons speaking lies in hypocrisy, having their own conscience seared with a hot iron - 1 Timothy 4:1-2

beameup

When the Most High gave to the nations their inheritance,
when he divided mankind,
he fixed the borders of the peoples
according to the number of the Sons of God
[ie: *angels].
Deuteronomy 32:8 ESV [re: Septuagint & Dead Sea Scrolls]

*A class of (unseen) angels that oversee nations and peoples.