Something to ponder-

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenny J

BANNED
Banned
If you were to lose ALL the memories of your past, would your RELATIONSHIP to TRUTH change?

Hmmm... I'd say NO...

dRock

That's kind of an odd question that I don't think anyone could answer for sure... I just don't see how you could forget TRUTH though. If by TRUTH you mean the God, that is.

elohiym

Knight said:
Yeah... I agree. I think the question needs to be a bit more explanatory.
Ditto.

...but the question as stated reminds me of a story plot line. A man is married to a woman who has Alzheimer’s disease. Every morning she wakes up and doesn't remember he is her husband, so everyday their relationship starts again. He courts her and they fall in love with each other again every day.

Damn! That makes me tear up just describing it.

Messenger

YHVH says that His law is written on our hearts and in our minds, so I'm going to say that our relationship to truth does not change.

Mr. 5020

elohiym said:
Ditto.

...but the question as stated reminds me of a story plot line. A man is married to a woman who has Alzheimer’s disease. Every morning she wakes up and doesn't remember he is her husband, so everyday their relationship starts again. He courts her and they fall in love with each other again every day.

Damn! That makes me tear up just describing it.
Adam Sandler made a movie about that, called "50 First Dates."

Chosen by God

BANNED by Knight
Banned
kenny J said:
If you were to lose ALL the memories of your past, would your RELATIONSHIP to TRUTH change?

Hmmm... I'd say NO...

I agree. You would be just as blind. Even if you considered yourself totally enlightened before you lost all memories. In your limited state of awareness your mind does not have capacity to cognize truth. We see only in part so any memory of truth is distorted. Memories have no bearing on truth, they are distorted at best, so new memories only produce new distortions. Nothing changes.

Last edited:

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Chosen by God: Welcome to TOL. :wave: BTW you do realize that even though the Israelites were "chosen by God" most of them still went to Hell rejecting Him, right?

Chosen by God

BANNED by Knight
Banned
Jefferson said:
Chosen by God: Welcome to TOL. :wave: BTW you do realize that even though the Israelites were "chosen by God" most of them still went to Hell rejecting Him, right?
Hello Jefferson
Nice little BTW. Thanks for the welcome. Yes, I know that some are chosen to live and some are chosen to die. Of course those chosen to die reject him.
Perhaps I should have chosen "Chosen to Live" for a handle. Maybe next time. Did you read beyond my name?? Care to comment on my post instead of me?

kenny J

BANNED
Banned
Real Sorceror said:
Is this question about amnesia?

Hmmm I guess it is-Let's say you were to wake up TOMORROW morning and have ZERO memory- you could ONLY make new memories(retrograde amnesia)- Would you even know to be afraid? For the sake of discussion consider that ALL memory is GONE- not even the WORDS/LANGUAGE you learned as a child-

So would TRUTH change as a result?

Does this help?

ken

PS. Sorry I neglected this thread- I forgot to put notification on. :duh:

kenny J

BANNED
Banned
Chosen by God said:
Ok! But! Please give your definition of "truth".

CG,

I guess TRUTH could be seen as that which EXISTS outside/independent of thought-

EXAMPLE: A thought about the sun- isn't the same as that huge 'ball of fire' way out in space- The TRUTH of the sun isn't in our IDEAS- it's what ALLOWS for them-

Does that help?

ken

Chosen by God

BANNED by Knight
Banned
kenny J said:
CG,

I guess TRUTH could be seen as that which EXISTS outside/independent of thought-

EXAMPLE: A thought about the sun- isn't the same as that huge 'ball of fire' way out in space- The TRUTH of the sun isn't in our IDEAS- it's what ALLOWS for them-

Does that help?

ken
Hello Ken
If truth exists independent of thought memories can have no bering on truth because memories are thoughts.

I think I would define truth as "events that happen in time and space". Perception of events is highly flawed because humans are only equiped with limited perception.

In truth we would not know truth if we fell in it.

We view events and interpret them through our own very unique world view. :doh: Sometimes our world view is built on misconceptions and false presuppositions. Add those to limited preception and you got a church or political party or both. :loser:

Better let me sleep on it. untill later. :think:

Blessings

Maybe truth comes in many different flavors. :juggle:

Daniel50

kenny J said:

Hmmm... I'd say NO...

You had any experience in the past.

It is hard to understand.

kenny J

BANNED
Banned
dRock said:
That's kind of an odd question that I don't think anyone could answer for sure... I just don't see how you could forget TRUTH though. If by TRUTH you mean the God, that is.

dRock-

I think you are right, we can have no CERTAINTY in our answers- Which means it's FUN just to ponder-

So if the BRAIN loses ALL memory including RELIGIOUS teachings- how would it change your RELATIONSHIP to TRUTH?

ken

Minerva

MrsHowWeird said:
I think the movie y'all were thinking of is "The Notebook".
good movie, better book

I was thinking of the same movie...I watched that about 6 or 7 times. I love it! Is the book really that much better? Usually they are, but I wasn't aware there was a book.....

MrsHowWeird

It's been a while since I read the book. Now that I'm thinking about it, I want to go read it again. Yes, do read the book. It makes the movie even better.

Status
Not open for further replies.