Sodom 2015

PureX

Agree.

Disagree. I think we can comfortably eliminate behavior that harm or traumatize children from the public venue and remain a free society. I don't think it's reasonable to expect mothers (or whomever) to develop strategies to minimize the harm done.
Even if we could, I don't believe it would be wise. In a nation of 330 million people every public activity is going to offend someone. Every TV show is going to offend someone. Every joke, every clothing style, every life style, and on and on. And a child could conceivably be 'traumatized' by almost anything.

Simply being offensive to someone can't be a reasonable criteria for banning a human activity. And in fact, the goal of the united States regarding illegality is based on maximizing individual freedom while maintaining individual security and equality. So it's inevitable that we are going to have to tolerate the right of other people to behave as they want, so long as their doing so does not endanger us, or infringe our right to do the same.

I understand the disgust people feel about this particular event. But it's taking place in a city that is known for embracing these alternative lifestyles, and in a part of the city where many of these people live. So as disgusting and idiotic as I think it is, it's not my neighborhood. And it's not my town. And those people aren't my friends. And I don't have the right to stop them from doing what they're doing unless they are endangering my safety, or infringing on my individual right to live as I wish. And they aren't doing that.

Now, if that mother lived in that neighborhood, or that city, she may have reasonable cause to object. But in the end, her objections will not stand unless it can be determined that this event does endanger her or her child, and/or does infringe on her rights. People are going to do lots of things we don't like, just as we will do things they don't like. None of this is cause for stopping them, or us, however. Not in a free society. And if we want to keep it a free society, we need to respect this fact. And we need to learn to tolerate the annoying eccentricities of others.

Huckleberry

Even if we could, I don't believe it would be wise. In a nation of 330 million people every public activity is going to "traumatize" someone. Every TV show is going to offend someone. Every joke, every clothing style, every life style, and so on.

Simply being offensive to someone can't be a reasonable criteria for banning a human behavior. And in fact, the goal of the united States regarding illegality is based on maximizing individual freedom while maintaining individual security and equality. So it's inevitable that we are going to have to tolerate the right of other people to behave as they want, so long as their doing so does not endanger us, or infringe our right to do the same.

I understand the disgust people feel about this particular event. But it's taking place in a city that is known for embracing these alternative lifestyles, and in a part of the city where many of these people live. So as disgusting and idiotic as I think it is, it's not my neighborhood. And it's not my town. And those people aren't my friends. And I don't have the right to stop them from doing what they're doing unless they are endangering my safety, or infringing on my individual right to live as I wish. And they aren't doing that.

Now, if that mother lived in that neighborhood, or that city, she may have reasonable cause to object. But in the end, her objections will not stand unless it can be determined that this event does endanger her or her child, and/or does infringe on her rights. People are going to do lots of things we don't like, just as we will do things they don't like. None of this is cause for stopping them, or us, however. Not in a free society.
I don't think anyone will die if you and I do not agree. :idunno:

Still, I'm as comfortable outlawing nudity and lascivious behavior in public both generally and in the course of publicly held events. If you're going to support one then I think you have to explain why you don't support the other. I assume you don't support public nudity and such in general, so, by your own argument, why not?

OCTOBER23

Its a Dog Eat Dog world these days.

What is the lady in the Blue Checked Dress doing ?

And get a look at that young woman in the grey dress to the right.

PureX

I don't think anyone will die if you and I do not agree. :idunno:

Still, I'm as comfortable outlawing nudity and lascivious behavior in public both generally and in the course of publicly held events. If you're going to support one then I think you have to explain why you don't support the other. I assume you don't support public nudity and such in general, so, by your own argument, why not?
For me, this isn't about what you or I agree or don't agree with, or are comfortable or uncomfortable with. It's about the higher principal of protecting individual freedom regardless of what we agree or are comfortable with, or not. At least that's what I think it's about.

People have the right to be naked, or not to be naked, as they please, unless their choices in this regard infringe on the rights of others, or endangers others in some way. In most places in the country, it is considered indecent for a person to be seen naked in public. And this indecency is perceived to be disruptive to the public order, dangerous to the health of the individual, and to others, and especially to the sensitivities of minors. Yet when these objections are mitigated, as on private property, away from public view, and with proper health precautions, it's still allowable because individual freedom reigns so long as collective rights and security are maintained. We even have public nude beaches in some parts of the country because the community has found that these precautions have been met to it's satisfaction in those specific areas.

I think this particular event in SF crosses the line, though, because it's on public property, in an urban setting, and because it deliberately intends to offend the public's sense of order and decency. This is the mistake that many of these 'gay pride' type events make.

I'm fine with public displays of solidarity, of sexual preference, of allegiance to their various groups and lifestyles. I'm not fine with their deliberate intent to shock, insult, and offend the general public. Which is what many of these events and their participants are deliberately trying to do. It's similar to the difference between protestors marching and carrying signs and chanting for a cause; or beating up people and destroying property to make their point. One is acceptable regardless of how I might feel about the "cause", the other is not acceptable regardless of how I feel about the "cause".

LGBTs have every right to parade, sing, dance, chant, wear crazy outfits, and whatever. But they don't have the right to deliberately offend and endanger the public with obscene displays of the human body and/or sexual activities.

I believe we need to be tolerant of other's differences, but only to the point where they disregard everyone else's differences, and sensibilities, just to parade their own.