Should Christians celebrate New Years Day?

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
Actually you should show if His followers in scripture ever celebrated the Roman new year...

The instruction was left to keep His commandments...deny yourself take up your cross and follow Him...His way...live more like He did...less like the world

So please show me where He celebrated a Roman calendar holiday...because I can show you He followed the one given to His obedient people...

Once again you show your inability to answer a simple question. I asked you to show us something and you can't do it so you try to turn it back on me. Shame on you.

As to following the commandments of Jesus, lets look at what Jesus commanded:

Matthew 22:37-40 (NIV)
37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’[a] 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’[b] 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

That's it. Two. If you Google it you can find people who claim He gave 50 but if your look at them closely you will find that they are all based on the two commandment Jesus actually spoke.

clefty

Once again you show your inability to answer a simple question. I asked you to show us something and you can't do it so you try to turn it back on me. Shame on you.
lol I answered you even offered to answer more from 3 lists of texts but you didnt choose...

Here is another answer: “Think not that I have come to destroy the Law but to fulfill”...

Now more than ever this is appropriate because His calendar has appointments we are to fulfill and meet and celebrate. Laws and rules of ceremony and form...all of which He came to fulfill those too...NOT to destroy...THINK NOT...so stop thinking that...He fulfilled all the appointments on His Calendar...all the festivals He celebrated and not one of them Roman...

So He fulfilled the schedule on HIS calendar accordingly...see? NOT ABOLISHED...so they remain and were kept by His followers even at Pentecost the “birthday of the church”...although I am still with poor Stephen when he calls it the church in the wilderness...given a calander and times to meet...obligations to Yah to FULFILL each year you might say...

As to following the commandments of Jesus, lets look at what Jesus commanded:

Matthew 22:37-40 (NIV)
37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’[a] 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’[b] 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

That's it. Two. If you Google it you can find people who claim He gave 50 but if your look at them closely you will find that they are all based on the two commandment Jesus actually spoke.

Hmmm...your Stockholm syndrome still allows for something left over for Him?

When it says love Him with ALL it means ALL...give unto Caesar sure but dont celebrate so wantingly and certainly dont replace it with with what is Yah’s time and schedule for parties...

He is at war with the world’s traditions and corruptions and HATES SIN...hates the idolatry corruption and counterfeiting of what HE provided first...

Elsewhere He commentates on these two Laws...LOVE AS I HAVE LOVED YOU...and not one New Years party for roman scheduling was included in that love...in fact HE HATED when His OWN began to play footsie with other peoples and their traditions...HATED it when they compromised and played nice going along to get along...

Yes LOVE God and each other...not with the love of a world compromised self obsessed but with the Love He loved Us first...radically different than the world’s love...

And it comes with it’s own calendar...it’s like we were MADE for this love...He thought of everything...up to you to chose though...

You are still trying to ride two horses unequally yoked and actually going opposite directions...

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
lol I answered you even offered to answer more from 3 lists of texts but you didnt choose...

Here is another answer: “Think not that I have come to destroy the Law but to fulfill”...

Now more than ever this is appropriate because His calendar has appointments we are to fulfill and meet and celebrate. Laws and rules of ceremony and form...all of which He came to fulfill those too...NOT to destroy...THINK NOT...so stop thinking that...He fulfilled all the appointments on His Calendar...all the festivals He celebrated and not one of them Roman...

So He fulfilled the schedule on HIS calendar accordingly...see? NOT ABOLISHED...so they remain and were kept by His followers even at Pentecost the “birthday of the church”...although I am still with poor Stephen when he calls it the church in the wilderness...given a calander and times to meet...obligations to Yah to FULFILL each year you might say...

Hmmm...your Stockholm syndrome still allows for something left over for Him?

When it says love Him with ALL it means ALL...give unto Caesar sure but dont celebrate so wantingly and certainly dont replace it with with what is Yah’s time and schedule for parties...

He is at war with the world’s traditions and corruptions and HATES SIN...hates the idolatry corruption and counterfeiting of what HE provided first...

Elsewhere He commentates on these two Laws...LOVE AS I HAVE LOVED YOU...and not one New Years party for roman scheduling was included in that love...in fact HE HATED when His OWN began to play footsie with other peoples and their traditions...HATED it when they compromised and played nice going along to get along...

Yes LOVE God and each other...not with the love of a world compromised self obsessed but with the Love He loved Us first...radically different than the world’s love...

And it comes with it’s own calendar...it’s like we were MADE for this love...He thought of everything...up to you to chose though...

You are still trying to ride two horses unequally yoked and actually going opposite directions...
Hmmm.... Still nothing regarding Jesus commanding Gentiles keep the Jewish calendar.

clefty

Hmmm.... Still nothing regarding Jesus commanding Gentiles keep the Jewish calendar.

Yup...so I guess the life He lived to exemplify “love one another AS I HAVE LOVED YOU” is not for you...the world loves that you celebrate with it its way not Him His way...

Carry on...good luck riding two horses...going opposite directions

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
Yup...so I guess the life He lived to exemplify “love one another AS I HAVE LOVED YOU” is not for you...the world loves that you celebrate with it its way not Him His way...

Carry on...good luck riding two horses...going opposite directions
This is not helping your position. Jesus was born and raised Jewish. He held to Jewish traditions while He fulfilled the law. But you still haven't shown us where Jesus commanded the Gentiles to live according to Mosaic Law and Jewish traditions. You claim to have three texts that support this. Pick one and post it. Heck, post all three.

clefty

This is not helping your position. Jesus was born and raised Jewish. He held to Jewish traditions while He fulfilled the law. But you still haven't shown us where Jesus commanded the Gentiles to live according to Mosaic Law and Jewish traditions. You claim to have three texts that support this. Pick one and post it. Heck, post all three.

He said follow Him...keep the commandments abide in His love christened the new covenant age to a room full of Jews not a gentile among them...they changed not at all after...still hurried to bring Him off the cross an OT Law...still kept Sabbath Passover (14 days after His new year) still kept kosher...

You reject we are citizens of Israel now His people...there no longer remains Jew or Gentile...but His people living and celebrating and worshipping Him/His Way...His faith

Is why James the brother of Jesus even concluded the Jerusalem council matter fully expecting the Gentiles to keep hearing Moses every Sabbath...they wanted into the promise and into His house with its house rules...

It is believers and followers of Him/His Way and the rest of the world seeking to change times and laws...

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
He said follow Him...keep the commandments abide in His love christened the new covenant age to a room full of Jews not a gentile among them...they changed not at all after...still hurried to bring Him off the cross an OT Law...still kept Sabbath Passover (14 days after His new year) still kept kosher...
Jesus gave us two commandments. They are both based not on laws but on love. You should be doing things not because there is a law that says do this or don't do that, you should be doing what is right out of love for God and for those around you.

You reject we are citizens of Israel now His people...there no longer remains Jew or Gentile...but His people living and celebrating and worshipping Him/His Way...His faith
Jesus faith was not in the law, it was in His Father. That is where our faith should be. The law CANNOT save us, only condemn us.

Is why James the brother of Jesus even concluded the Jerusalem council matter fully expecting the Gentiles to keep hearing Moses every Sabbath...they wanted into the promise and into His house with its house rules...
This was a huge point of conflict between the Apostles after Jesus died. It even lead to Paul rebuking Peter. Peter wanted to only go to the Jews while Paul wanted to go to Jew and Gentile. Paul was right.

It is believers and followers of Him/His Way and the rest of the world seeking to change times and laws...
His way was the way of love, not the way of dates.

Have you read any of Paul's epistles? Paul provided a lot of teachings regarding the law, Jew's and Gentiles.

clefty

Jesus gave us two commandments. They are both based not on laws but on love. You should be doing things not because there is a law that says do this or don't do that, you should be doing what is right out of love for God and for those around you.

Jesus faith was not in the law, it was in His Father. That is where our faith should be. The law CANNOT save us, only condemn us.

This was a huge point of conflict between the Apostles after Jesus died. It even lead to Paul rebuking Peter. Peter wanted to only go to the Jews while Paul wanted to go to Jew and Gentile. Paul was right.

His way was the way of love, not the way of dates.

Have you read any of Paul's epistles? Paul provided a lot of teachings regarding the law, Jew's and Gentiles.

Even pagans love each other...big deal...we are to love as He loved us...JUST AS...He never celebrated Roman ways...

His Love was unique not of this world and even Paul was killed for not conforming his love to the way the world loved or compromising with it...learn NOT the ways

Faith in the Father is doing His will His Way...He has a calendar and gave it to His people...a gift and is only some of His Love...

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
Even pagans love each other...big deal...we are to love as He loved us...JUST AS...He never celebrated Roman ways...

His Love was unique not of this world and even Paul was killed for not conforming his love to the way the world loved or compromising with it...learn NOT the ways

Faith in the Father is doing His will His Way...He has a calendar and gave it to His people...a gift and is only some of His Love...

He loved us irrelevant of dates. He scolded Pharisees for refusing to help on the Sabbath because the Pharisees were following the Law of Moses, not the law of love. Love of God, love for our neighbor is independent of any date. You are so focused on Mosaic Law that you to fail to grasp Christ's law of love. That is why you need to go into scripture and find where Jesus commanded Gentiles to follow Mosaic Law as a condition of salvation. If you can't find that verse then you need to spend more time figuring out the difference between laws and love.

Here is a hint; if you are judging people based on their adherence to Jewish custom then you do not know Jesus's love. If you wish to follow Jewish customs but do not judge others for following different customs then you know God's love.

john w

Hall of Fame
Only 350 days left....

electric-melon.png

clefty

He loved us irrelevant of dates.
No greater love is that He lay His life down for us...they tried to kill Him a few times but there is actually a reason why He laid His life down at Passover...obviously you are not that interested so I will spare you the details...every date He gave us is because He loves us...imagine that...Sabbath made for man...by the Lord of the Sabbath...imagine that...His Sabbath signifies His authority...a date to remind us of exactly His love creating us and delivering us from sin’s slavery...other dates given are actually to help us understand His love...seems important enough to Him that He calls them His festivals...celebrated forever...

He scolded Pharisees for refusing to help on the Sabbath because the Pharisees were following the Law of Moses, not the law of love.
has nothing to do with abolishing the date because others misused it or abused it...in fact He could have healed on any other day as all the healings were not emergencies but He wished to provoke, trigger the pharisees and thus chose that day...important day to teach Who is Lord of the Sabbath...and that man’s traditions should not come above His Way...

Love of God, love for our neighbor is independent of any date.
really? Which god? Buddhists have their calendars as do Hindus...follow them and claim the same...Muslims too...you employ your neighbor do you work him 7 days a week? We love god in how we worship and when...You even forget it wasn’t until 1752 that British colonies (america) accepted the Gregorian calendar as prior that it was too papist...they had been reluctant to live in papist manner...a differing view and understanding of God His ways...

You are so focused on Mosaic Law that you to fail to grasp Christ's law of love.
not at all...just showed you how in His living Love for us He gave us dates to follow...kept them and instructed we do the same to abide in His love...dates that even became memorials to that love...

That is why you need to go into scripture and find where Jesus commanded Gentiles to follow Mosaic Law as a condition of salvation. If you can't find that verse then you need to spend more time figuring out the difference between laws and love.
not even jews followed the calendar given to His people all of Israel (not just jews BTW) as a condition of salvation...they had faith first AND THEN were saved and that IS WHY they follow Him His calendar...it actually marks when they were freed from slavery...imagine that...a date...a memorial to His love in action...

Here is a hint; if you are judging people based on their adherence to Jewish custom then you do not know Jesus's love.
oh thanks...but your hint rejects His calendar was for all Israel...are you a citizen or not?...are you aware of exactly these date DECLARE HIS LOVE?

If you wish to follow Jewish customs but do not judge others for following different customs then you know God's love.
We are slaves to Him and if any profess a Love for Him their fruits will reveal it...more like Him as He lived less like the world...

we are to judge our brothers but perhaps you are not of Israel grafted in part of His people...but we are to judge as someday we will judge the world, angels even...you wont even stop eating food offered to idols for sake of a brother...

so far you reveal you are enslaved by someone else and his customs with which he would change both TIMES and Laws with a counterfeit love...

sadly you are suffering such Stockholm syndrome you forget you are held captive...even celebrate your captors their way...

clefty

Next topic: Should Christians celebrate Valentine's Day? Prediction: Clefty says no.

Oh no...that one is ok...it’s to celebrate the love Jesus had for His valentine Mary Magdalene...they later married and had children and stuff...legendary ones too...something about a grail

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
No greater love is that He lay His life down for us...they tried to kill Him a few times but there is actually a reason why He laid His life down at Passover...obviously you are not that interested so I will spare you the details...every date He gave us is because He loves us...imagine that...Sabbath made for man...by the Lord of the Sabbath...imagine that...His Sabbath signifies His authority...a date to remind us of exactly His love creating us and delivering us from sin’s slavery...other dates given are actually to help us understand His love...seems important enough to Him that He calls them His festivals...celebrated forever...

has nothing to do with abolishing the date because others misused it or abused it...in fact He could have healed on any other day as all the healings were not emergencies but He wished to provoke, trigger the pharisees and thus chose that day...important day to teach Who is Lord of the Sabbath...and that man’s traditions should not come above His Way...

really? Which god? Buddhists have their calendars as do Hindus...follow them and claim the same...Muslims too...you employ your neighbor do you work him 7 days a week? We love god in how we worship and when...You even forget it wasn’t until 1752 that British colonies (america) accepted the Gregorian calendar as prior that it was too papist...they had been reluctant to live in papist manner...a differing view and understanding of God His ways...

not at all...just showed you how in His living Love for us He gave us dates to follow...kept them and instructed we do the same to abide in His love...dates that even became memorials to that love...

not even jews followed the calendar given to His people all of Israel (not just jews BTW) as a condition of salvation...they had faith first AND THEN were saved and that IS WHY they follow Him His calendar...it actually marks when they were freed from slavery...imagine that...a date...a memorial to His love in action...

oh thanks...but your hint rejects His calendar was for all Israel...are you a citizen or not?...are you aware of exactly these date DECLARE HIS LOVE?

We are slaves to Him and if any profess a Love for Him their fruits will reveal it...more like Him as He lived less like the world...

we are to judge our brothers but perhaps you are not of Israel grafted in part of His people...but we are to judge as someday we will judge the world, angels even...you wont even stop eating food offered to idols for sake of a brother...

so far you reveal you are enslaved by someone else and his customs with which he would change both TIMES and Laws with a counterfeit love...

sadly you are suffering such Stockholm syndrome you forget you are held captive...even celebrate your captors their way...

I wish you well in your slavery. I will not be joining you. May God bless you and keep you.

clefty

I wish you well in your slavery. I will not be joining you. May God bless you and keep you.

Indeed halleluYah...no one can serve two...as a slave to Him His Way I pray I will do well...His yoke is easy His burden is light...

Chosen each day is Whom we will serve...and how...His time or the one who seeks to change His times and laws

may you grow in Him/His Way...His time

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. -- Romans 14:6

clefty

He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. -- Romans 14:6

Yes yes...heard it all before...all things are lawful even that which was once unlawful...idolatry and killing adultery too...just give thanks...

Romans 14 remains about doubtful things like which day to eat or fast...

not the Sabbath or other festivals issues which is the basis for their time and identity...and IS a shadow of things to come...

Paul was killed for his being uncompromising...you think he celebrated in Roman manner the god Janus his two faced ways?

One can not serve two masters...let alone one with two faces...ha

Romans 14 is Paul who counseled NOT to cause another weaker to stumble...so if your celebrations of another calander than His the Master you are a slave to causes another one to be distracted and from His and he celebrates with you that which is not His...you are a stumbling block...

Now do NOT scoff the weaker faith...the Master Himself came to serve the WEAKEST..the LAST will be first...

And to even teach the LEAST of these is NOT COOL...

His example is the standard...is it evil...FLEE for you are your brothers keeper...

This counsel even the pagan world has learned...

Do I drink in front of an alcoholic who destroyed his life with drink and yet desperately wishes to stay sober...

How about the diabetic...do I take him to the SUGAR SHACK for an afternoon of delight?

The porno addict yearning to stay clean...do I take him to the strip bar?

Maybe you have forgotten this is a WAR...

Suffering Stockholm syndrome for the ways of the world clouds the side you are on...

Last edited: