Seasonal Cooking - Fall

phuonganh333

Labor day weekend traditionally marks the end of summer. School is back under way, days grow shorter and cooler, apples and winter vegetables are being harvested. I thought it would be fun to start a thread about fall cooking.

During the summer, our meals are kind of light and cool like salads. We grill a fair amount and one of our favorite things to grill are brussel sprouts along with burgers, Italian sausage, steaks and chicken. We will do a nice last BBQ on Monday (though the grill will be used all winter as well) and then its will be time to think about fall cooking.

So what are your favorite fall type recipes? Hearty soups and stews? Braised roasts? Side dishes? Desserts?

One of my favorites is pan fried pork chops with cinnamon apples. I will start with fresh apples. Typically I like to use a couple of Fuji and a couple of Granny Smith apples. I peel and core them and slice them into thin wedges. I will season the pork chops with a little salt and pepper and brown them on both sides. Next I dump the apples in and add some brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg and a bit of balsamic vinegar. Lower the heat, but a lid on and let the apples cook. Typically the apples will let off some of their water and I get a nice rich syrup that is not overly sweet. It compliments the pork chops well. If I get the thickness of the apples correct, they are done at the same time as the pork chops. This recipe usually works best with thick cut pork chops. I don't have a formal recipe for this. I am one of those people who just kinda adds stuff till it looks right, taste it about half way through and adjust the seasoning as needed.

God's Truth

Labor day weekend traditionally marks the end of summer. School is back under way, days grow shorter and cooler, apples and winter vegetables are being harvested. I thought it would be fun to start a thread about fall cooking.

During the summer, our meals are kind of light and cool like salads. We grill a fair amount and one of our favorite things to grill are brussel sprouts along with burgers, Italian sausage, steaks and chicken. We will do a nice last BBQ on Monday (though the grill will be used all winter as well) and then its will be time to think about fall cooking.

So what are your favorite fall type recipes? Hearty soups and stews? Braised roasts? Side dishes? Desserts?

One of my favorites is pan fried pork chops with cinnamon apples. I will start with fresh apples. Typically I like to use a couple of Fuji and a couple of Granny Smith apples. I peel and core them and slice them into thin wedges. I will season the pork chops with a little salt and pepper and brown them on both sides. Next I dump the apples in and add some brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg and a bit of balsamic vinegar. Lower the heat, but a lid on and let the apples cook. Typically the apples will let off some of their water and I get a nice rich syrup that is not overly sweet. It compliments the pork chops well. If I get the thickness of the apples correct, they are done at the same time as the pork chops. This recipe usually works best with thick cut pork chops. I don't have a formal recipe for this. I am one of those people who just kinda adds stuff till it looks right, taste it about half way through and adjust the seasoning as needed.

I am so impressed by people who can make their own recipes. This recipe sounds delicious. I am a pescatarian, but mostly a vegetarian. Do you have any good good recipes for my type?