Search the scriptures

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I responded to the words on the page.
Of which you clearly misunderstood and due to your incompetence of understanding you went on to make a false accusation of me.

As far as I'm concerned you've conceded the only point I was trying to make anyway.
As far as I'm concerned you've conceded that you made a mistake.

fzappa13

The KJV is not without error.
True that but it's warts are well documented. It's one of the reasons I prefer Bullinger's Companion Bible. It notes translation errors/omissions in the margins and has the original notes to the Masoretic text as well. Huge cool appendix also. Handy.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
True that but it's warts are well documented. It's one of the reasons I prefer Bullinger's Companion Bible. It notes translation errors/omissions in the margins and has the original notes to the Masoretic text as well. Huge cool appendix also. Handy.
Gotta admire a man who spent years and years going over every verse and every word of scripture, and also correlate those words and verses with other words and verses and also different manuscripts.
And did it all by hand without a computer.
Imagine how much more he would have done if the Dead Sea Scrolls had been known about and available to him.

I was lucky enough to get his complete Companion Bible with his appendixes in a hard bound large text volume as a gift from my children nearly 20 years ago.
It's one heavy book!
I really like it.
So much info right at your fingertips.

fzappa13

Gotta admire a man who spent years and years going over every verse and every word of scripture, and also correlate those words and verses with other words and verses and also different manuscripts.
And did it all by hand without a computer.
Imagine how much more he would have done if the Dead Sea Scrolls had been known about and available to him.

I was lucky enough to get his complete Companion Bible with his appendixes in a hard bound large text volume as a gift from my children nearly 20 years ago.
It's one heavy book!
I really like it.
So much info right at your fingertips.
One of the things I really like about it is all the blank pages at the end of it. An open invitation to make your own appendix that I took full advantage of. It kind of got to be an friendly competition to see if I could spot things he missed. He was remarkably dispassionate in his marginal offerings until it came to Revelation. Then he just couldn't help himself.

Gary K

Banned
He allowed us to be deluded into thinking the prophecy of the Christ's 3 day resurrection is preserved in the current Old Testament.
I don't think so. In the Garden of Gethsemane Jesus started suffering the pains of death.

Mark 14: 33 And he taketh with him Peter and James and John, and began to be sore amazed, and to be very heavy;
34 And saith unto them, My soul is exceeding sorrowful unto death: tarry ye here, and watch.
35 And he went forward a little, and fell on the ground, and prayed that, if it were possible, the hour might pass from him.
36 And he said, Abba, Father, all things are possible unto thee; take away this cup from me: nevertheless not what I will, but what thou wilt.
37 And he cometh, and findeth them sleeping, and saith unto Peter, Simon, sleepest thou? couldest not thou watch one hour?
38 Watch ye and pray, lest ye enter into temptation. The spirit truly is ready, but the flesh is weak.
39 And again he went away, and prayed, and spake the same words.
40 And when he returned, he found them asleep again, (for their eyes were heavy,) neither wist they what to answer him.

Jesus bore the sins of the entire world of all those who had lived and were still to live. That load of guilt crushed the life out of Him on the cross.

John 19: 33 But when they came to Jesus, and saw that he was dead already, they brake not his legs:
34 But one of the soldiers with a spear pierced his side, and forthwith came there out blood and water.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
One of the things I really like about it is all the blank pages at the end of it. An open invitation to make your own appendix that I took full advantage of. It kind of got to be an friendly competition to see if I could spot things he missed. He was remarkably dispassionate in his marginal offerings until it came to Revelation. Then he just couldn't help himself.
That's an interesting observation.

I have learned over the years that such inconsistency in a person's behavior is usually an illusion. Most of the time, people are remarkably consistent. They might be consistently wrong but consistent nonetheless. Meaning that if you think you've found one solitary area where someone has gone off the rails in spite of being otherwise "remarkably dispassionate" in every other area then I submit that this is grounds for a reevaluation of what you perceive to be out of character.

It could be that you've actually detected a genuine quirk in their character where one subject matter just sends them off into nevernever land but it is at least as likely that the perception exists because of a bias of your own.

Food for thought.

fzappa13

I have learned over the years that such inconsistency in a person's behavior is usually an illusion. Most of the time, people are remarkably consistent. They might be consistently wrong but consistent nonetheless. Meaning that if you think you've found one solitary area where someone has gone off the rails in spite of being otherwise "remarkably dispassionate" in every other area then I submit that this is grounds for a reevaluation of what you perceive to be out of character.

It could be that you've actually detected a genuine quirk in their character where one subject matter just sends them off into nevernever land but it is at least as likely that the perception exists because of a bias of your own.

Food for thought.
Well , to put a finer point on my comment, Bullinger didn't put anything of his doctrinal opinions in the margins at all until near the end of the Bible. In that respect his actions were inconsistent. I'm sure his opinions were consistent with what he believed.

Gary K

Banned

Food for thought.
Or,it could be that he has a real interest in prophecy. Some people have a lot of interest in history, or science, or math, etc.... Is that a quirk of character or just the natural differences in people?

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Well , to put a finer point on my comment, Bullinger didn't put anything of his doctrinal opinions in the margins at all until near the end of the Bible. In that respect his actions were inconsistent. I'm sure his opinions were consistent with what he believed.
Right, well don't take what I said too far. To be clear, I don't deny that people are prone to various kinds of inconsistencies, especially in regards to particular details. It's the wholesale, large scale sort of inconsistency that you don't generally find in people. This is because people think within a paradigm, usually unconsciously so. And so, if you find yourself agreeing with Bullinger on some things, you'll usually find yourself agreeing on most things and if you like how Bullinger handles everything with only one major exception then you have a really really good reason to go back and look at that one thing again because chances are you've missed something important.

Now, I say that without any understanding at all about just what it is you think Bullinger "just couldn't help himself" about and so maybe what I've said doesn't apply at all. That's for you to decide.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Or,it could be that he has a real interest in prophecy. Some people have a lot of interest in history, or science, or math, etc.... Is that a quirk of character or just the natural differences in people?
Of course. It wasn't prophecy or any other specific particular that I was commenting on. I'm simply saying that people have manner in which they do things and a way of thinking that isn't simply turned on or off because they changed subjects. If you agree with someone on practically everything except for one major thing, that's weird and is motive enough to rethink whatever it is you think you disagree with.

Gary K

Banned
Of course. It wasn't prophecy or any other specific particular that I was commenting on. I'm simply saying that people have manner in which they do things and a way of thinking that isn't simply turned on or off because they changed subjects. If you agree with someone on practically everything except for one major thing, that's weird and is motive enough to rethink whatever it is you think you disagree with.
So if our common interests create agreement but one person has a much greater interest in one area than someone else has, which means they have spent much more time studying it they won't have a lot more to say on the subject?

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
So if our common interests create agreement but one person has a much greater interest in one area than someone else has, which means they have spent much more time studying it they won't have a lot more to say on the subject?
That response makes no sense to me whatsoever. What are you even talking about?

Gary K

Banned
That response makes no sense to me whatsoever. What are you even talking about?
If two people have common interests does that mean they have the same levels of interest in all subjects? It's just common sense that no two people have the same levels of interest in all subjects.

Gary K

Banned
So people with a lot in common have to agree on everything?