• This is a new section being rolled out to attract people interested in exploring the origins of the universe and the earth from a biblical perspective. Debate is encouraged and opposing viewpoints are welcome to post but certain rules must be followed. 1. No abusive tagging - if abusive tags are found - they will be deleted and disabled by the Admin team 2. No calling the biblical accounts a fable - fairy tale ect. This is a Christian site, so members that participate here must be respectful in their disagreement.

Science doesn't lead to secularism

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
https://getpocket.com/explore/item/...-will-not-destroy-it?utm_source=pocket-newtab

Not only isn't religion not going away, it is thriving. More, any attempt by scientists to indoctrinate or supplant religious faith backfires and hurts the efforts of science education and findings.

I've never thought of there being an intellectually honest hostility between science and faith. I was curious about the mechanism of existence as an atheist and I'm if anything more interested as an adherent. To my mind science and religion are only enemies in the hands of people who aren't using at least
one of them correctly.

Reactions: Lon

Right Divider

Body part
I've never thought of there being an intellectually honest hostility between science and faith.
There is no hostility between science and faith. It is only when some try to redefine science as materialism.

I was curious about the mechanism of existence as an atheist and I'm if anything more interested as an adherent.
What is an "adherent"? What do you adhere to?

To my mind science and religion are only enemies in the hands of people who aren't using at least
one of them correctly.
BINGO!

Last edited:

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond

from Lon's link:
In 1966, just over 50 years ago,

the distinguished Canadian-born anthropologist Anthony Wallace confidently predicted the global demise of religion at the hands of an advancing science: ‘belief in supernatural powers is doomed to die out, all over the world, as a result of the increasing adequacy and diffusion of scientific knowledge’. Wallace’s vision was not exceptional. On the contrary, the modern social sciences, which took shape in 19th-century western Europe, took their own recent historical experience of secularisation as a universal model. An assumption lay at the core of the social sciences, either presuming or sometimes predicting that all cultures would eventually converge on something roughly approximating secular, Western, liberal democracy. Then something closer to the opposite happened.

Reactions: Lon