Salutations all

lukecash12

Welcome! I already love you for so many reasons!
Not the least of which is that you are an Irish gentleman!
I am not a trained scholar theologically but I am in quest of knowledge and answers. So forgive me in advance if I take up your time with what may seem mundane to you. I can handle courteous rebuke!

Ah, I've been famished in the past for courtesy myself.

Now, from patrick:

nothin' wrong with welcoming a member 3 years and 7 months after they joined

Guess it makes sense, I didn't really "join" back then. Only recently have I come back here and decided to be an active poster.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Ah, I've been famished in the past for courtesy myself.

Now, from patrick:

Guess it makes sense, I didn't really "join" back then. Only recently have I come back here and decided to be an active poster.

Yeah, it's good because i got to see a little about you and your education, and i'm half Irish while not even half educated

heir

TOL Subscriber
For those interested, my name is Luke. I'm an irishman, a private person, musicologist and virtuoso musician, a Christian, and a know-it-all jackass. At least, that's what a scholar is essentially, right?

In terms of theology, I am non-denominational and relate to Christians of all different sorts. More specifically, I am a Trinitarian, against the primacy of the Apostolic See or any Orthodox order, because of my position on Christian history and biblical scholarship, and lastly I think of salvation in terms of Mere Christianity, in that any person who has faith in Jesus Christ is in the family, no matter the theological views.

Why am I here? My grandfather was a Greek scholar with a Master's in Divinity, and I'm largely like him. In terms of professional experience and degrees, I support arguments and cite facts, that's all you need to know. Ask me to cite a fact or support an argument, and I will not be obtuse, I will cite the argument and support the fact like any classically trained gentleman. That's one of my pet peeves, when P1 and P2 don't imply C, and someone hasn't the basic education required to see that, yet they are engaging in debate on an academic subject (an example of my jackassery).

With all of that said, I am courteous. I have my views, yet I am a courteous man and will never insult, condescend, use ad hominem argumentation, belittle, or willingly offend unless it is incidental to presenting a logical case.
Hi luke! Better late than never with the welcome, yes? :wave2:

It sounds like you've been around religion for a while, but are you in the faith( 2 Corinthians 13:5 KJV)? If so, what is the gospel of your salvation?

lukecash12

Hi luke! Better late than never with the welcome, yes? :wave2:

It sounds like you've been around religion for a while, but are you in the faith( 2 Corinthians 13:5 KJV)? If so, what is the gospel of your salvation?

It always helps me to assume the right frame of mind, one of worship:

Come Holy Ghost

I confirm the Apostle's Creed, the Nicene Creed, and the Athanasian Creed. While there are other foundational documents on scripture that I agree with, that's a good enough basic summary.

Personally, I believe that if you truly affirm the contents of the Apostle's Creed, and personally accept Christ as both your Lord and Savior, however capable or incapable you are of understanding other theological issues you are a Christian.

The Apostle's Creed:

Credo in Deum Patrem omnipotentem, Creatorem caeli et terrae,
et in Iesum Christum, Filium Eius unicum, Dominum nostrum,
qui conceptus est de Spiritu Sancto, natus ex Maria Virgine,
passus sub Pontio Pilato, crucifixus, mortuus, et sepultus,

descendit ad inferos, tertia die resurrexit a mortuis,
ascendit ad caelos, sedet ad dexteram Patris omnipotentis,
inde venturus est iudicare vivos et mortuos.

Credo in Spiritum Sanctum,
sanctam Ecclesiam catholicam, sanctorum communionem,
remissionem peccatorum,
carnis resurrectionem,
vitam aeternam.
Amen.

I believe in God, the Father Almighty,
the Maker of heaven and earth,
and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord:

Who was conceived by the Holy Ghost,
born of the virgin Mary,
suffered under Pontius Pilate,
was crucified, dead, and buried;

He descended into hell.
The third day He arose again from the dead;
He ascended into heaven,
and sitteth on the right hand of God the Father Almighty;
from thence he shall come to judge the quick and the dead.

I believe in the Holy Ghost;
the holy catholic church;
the communion of saints;
the forgiveness of sins;
the resurrection of the body;
and the life everlasting.
Amen.

The underlined portion has always been under dispute, but the rest is just plain fundamental Christian belief. An important thing to note is that "holy catholic church" was meant in it's original Latin sense, "catholic" meaning "universal". There is one family of God. Lastly, the emboldened portions are the spiritual bedrock of my belief in the Lord.

Last edited:

heir

TOL Subscriber
Personally, I believe that if you truly affirm the contents of the Apostle's Creed, and personally accept Christ as both your Lord and Savior, however capable or incapable you are of understanding other theological issues you are a Christian.
It's God's will that all men be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth not come unto the knowledge of the truth to be saved as so many religious mistakenly impose.

The apostle Paul writes that the gospel of Christ (1 Corinthians 15:1-4 KJV) is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth (Romans 1:16 KJV-although no longer to the Jew first and also to the Greek, but to all men 1 Timothy 2:4-6 KJV, Titus 2:11 KJV). And since it is the power of God unto salvation, one must have had a moment in their life when they trusted trusting the Lord believing IT as the means by which we are saved (1 Corinthians 1:18 KJV) or that person is lost (2 Corinthians 4:3-4 KJV)/not in the faith. That's why one of the first things I ask someone is, "What is the gospel of your salvation?". Not to mention the fact that there is more than one gospel in the Bible, but there's only one gospel that is the gospel of YOUR salvation.

Have a great night. It's late here.