RSR: Spiders & Termites & Magnets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Thank you for your kindergarten answer. Now go play.

Lining up the hearts of things living today is not evidence for evolution unless you've already assumed the truth of evolutionary theory. You need to come up with something a little less silly in order to trick people.

And you can quit with the patronising tone, young man. :up:

DavisBJ

Lining up the hearts of things living today is not evidence for evolution unless you've already assumed the truth of evolutionary theory. You need to come up with something a little less silly in order to trick people.

And you can quit with the patronising tone, young man. :up:
Not much interested in a conversation that is doomed at the outset by your inability (or refusal) to acknowledge how those figures do apply to evolution. Your sand pile is over there by your swing set.

voltaire

BANNED
Banned
Stripe said the hearts presented were from things alive today to which DavisBJ reponded that it was kindergarten thinking. How so? We are asked if an increase in heart complexity is what we would expect if the ToE were true. If the hearts presented do not represent the fossil hearts, what point can be made? What you are doing is claiming that the animals in this chain of heart complexity were ancestors of each other in a evolutionary straight line and not found on different branches of the tree of life.

Jukia

Stripe said the hearts presented were from things alive today to which DavisBJ reponded that it was kindergarten thinking. How so? We are asked if an increase in heart complexity is what we would expect if the ToE were true. If the hearts presented do not represent the fossil hearts, what point can be made? What you are doing is claiming that the animals in this chain of heart complexity were ancestors of each other in a evolutionary straight line and not found on different branches of the tree of life.

You do understand that evolution suggests that first fish appeared, then amphibians, then reptiles and last birds and mammals, don't you? The fact that the hearts in such creatures become more complex (really more efficient) over geologic time suggests nothing to you?

Really just one of the nails in the coffin of creationist ignorance.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Not much interested in a conversation that is doomed at the outset by your inability (or refusal) to acknowledge how those figures do apply to evolution.
I both acknowledge and understand what you have said about these drawings/figures. But I do not at first pre-suppose that evolution is true. Thus they are no evidence for evolution (unless you first suppose the truth of evolutionary theory).

voltaire

BANNED
Banned
Yes jukia, I understand that the fossil order is fish, amphibians, reptiles, birds, mammals. I understand that the evolutionist tries to make a case for the increasing complexity of hearts in this line of animal categories which may or may not be the case....(what exactly is complesity?). There is no reason to believ that amphibians evolved from fish or that mammals evolved from birds or reptiles for that matter. Fossil appearance is no argument for evolution of one animal higher in the column form an animal lower in the column in all cases. Common descent from one ancestor must be ASSUMED. Can you think of another reason why higher complexity hearts appear higher in the gelogic column than lower complexity ones? I can.

DavisBJ

I both acknowledge and understand what you have said about these drawings/figures. But I do not at first pre-suppose that evolution is true. Thus they are no evidence for evolution (unless you first suppose the truth of evolutionary theory).
QED

voltaire

BANNED
Banned
My earlier point stands as well. If the different hearts being considered are each on widely seperated branches of the tree, then all that can be said is each heart is more complex than the UNKNOWN common ancestor from which all branches sprung. Since we dont know who that common ancestor was, the complexity of the different hearts really shows us nothing except that hearts are found more complex higher in the column. One ancestor common ancestry MUST BE ASSUMED for this manifestation to be evidence of hearts evolving in complexity over time.

DavisBJ

Let me repeat what I explained to Yorzhik : I really don’t understand the pathological resistance you guys have to a simple admission that if evolution progressed from simpler forms up to us, that a sequence of hearts in various levels of complexity is commensurate with that. It doesn’t prove evolution. It doesn’t even make the claim that the stages of heart complexity shown are the ones that our ancestors went through. It only shows that simple hearts are found in nature, slightly more complex hearts are found, and so on. At least morphologically, it presents a candidate set of stages our hearts might have evolved through, and that hearts can be simple, or a bit more complex, and still more complex.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Let me repeat what I explained to Yorzhik : I really don’t understand the pathological resistance you guys have to a simple admission that if evolution progressed from simpler forms up to us, that a sequence of hearts in various levels of complexity is commensurate with that. It doesn’t prove evolution. It doesn’t even make the claim that the stages of heart complexity shown are the ones that our ancestors went through. It only shows that simple hearts are found in nature, slightly more complex hearts are found, and so on. At least morphologically, it presents a candidate set of stages our hearts might have evolved through, and that hearts can be simple, or a bit more complex, and still more complex.
And we don't understand the pathological resistance you have to ignoring the response. This is no evidence for evolution (unless you have first assumed the truth of evolution).

voltaire

BANNED
Banned
Let me repeat what I
explained to Yorzhik : I really
don’t understand the
pathological resistance you
guys have to a simple
admission that if evolution
progressed from simpler
forms up to us, that a
sequence of hearts in various
levels of complexity is
commensurate with that. It
doesn ’t prove evolution. It
doesn’t even make the claim
that the stages of heart
complexity shown are the
ones that our ancestors went
through. It only shows that
simple hearts are found in
nature, slightly more
complex hearts are found,
and so on. At least
morphologically, it presents
a candidate set of stages our
hearts might have evolved
through, and that hearts can
be simple, or a bit more
complex, and still more
complex.----------------The resistance is not pathological DavisBJ. We just recognize a conjob bait and switch when we see it. You are trying to say that this progression in heart complexity is what would be expected if the ToE were true and leaving out other theories that might also be validated if such a sequence of complexity were found. We just object to only one theory being validated to the exclusion of others. That is propaganda. We know that higher order hearts are found in higher oreder animals. We know that higher order animals are found higher in the gelogic column. This could validate darwinian evolution. It could also validate the theory of a recolonized earth with animals evolved from thousands of created kinds whose scope of evolution is limited to what it was programmed with at creation.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Or it could be something entirely understandable and reasonable. :)

alwight

Being sceptical of any genuine science is fine, its good to doubt, but what I fail to grasp is why the apparently unsceptical acceptance of Genesis by YECs as being literally true.
Where does this stalwart YEC scepticism disappear to when particular mythologies are mentioned?

Surely an honest sceptic should be equally and consistently sceptical when presented with claims and evidence, whatever they are?
Why exactly should Biblical scripture be exempt from this apparently extreme rigour and scrutiny from YECs?

DavisBJ

You are trying to say that this progression in heart complexity is what would be expected if the ToE were true and leaving out other theories that might also be validated if such a sequence of complexity were found. We just object to only one theory being validated to the exclusion of others. That is propaganda.
Hogwash. I didn’t say one word about whether or not a sequence of complexities of hearts would fit other theories. Maybe it fits 62,000 other theories. My point is, and remains, it fits evolution. If there were no evidence of simpler hearts than ours, then that would be an issue for evolution. If there were no evidence of simpler hearts than ours, then that wouldn’t mean squat about whether or not a god poofed us into existence already fully formed.

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I really don’t understand the pathological resistance you guys have to a simple admission that if evolution progressed from simpler forms up to us, that a sequence of hearts in various levels of complexity is commensurate with that.
It isn't pathological, it's reasonable.

A sequence of hearts that is "commensurate with that" is meaningless. A sequence of hearts that was designed for different organisms will undoubtedly have a range of complexity.

But let's have you explain it:
It doesn’t prove evolution. It doesn’t even make the claim that the stages of heart complexity shown are the ones that our ancestors went through.
But that is what evolution has to show. Lining up today's hearts, even by your own admission, is so close to meaningless there's no need to mention it.

It only shows that simple hearts are found in nature, slightly more complex hearts are found, and so on. At least morphologically, it presents a candidate set of stages our hearts might have evolved through, and that hearts can be simple, or a bit more complex, and still more complex.
It isn't even a candidate set. If it were, then we would see how one heart could turn into another by looking at the DNA. Looks (morphology) is meaningless.

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Sound like the only measurement that will satisfy you is DNA analysis.
It's a lot better than your subjective measurement of morphology.

If that is true, then since the vast majority of creatures that are known only from the fossil record are sans DNA, then you think we are impotent at making judgments about how they fit in a tree of life. I think you are being silly by demanding data that in many cases, no longer exists.
You take the data you can get. And the good news is, not only do we have all of today's organisms, but we even have a great number of extinct and very old organisms, like dinosaurs.

Yorzhik said:
Until you have the DNA comparison, you've got nothing.
Yup, then you think we have to allow that trilobites and pterodactyls and brontosaurus might all literally be first cousins.
Just because we don't have DNA from everything doesn't mean we should ignore the DNA data we have available like you propose. Do you think that isn't something you propose? Then tell us how many differences there are between the hearts represented in the pictures.

And for any person not demanding an unreasonable level of proof, morphology can be used to suggest paths of development.
The problem is you correctly identify that these morphological comparisons as mere suggestions, which are as sure as wild speculations. But then this was a statement wherein you trying to tell us morphology is real evidence for evolution!

The “idea” you disparage with that label is one of the core ideas accepted by the vast majority of those in the scientific community that have taken the time to look into it. It is no different than me labeling all religions as repositories of lies designed to salve the moral cowardice of people afraid of death. I haven’t disparaged Christians, only that opiate-dealing organization they go to on Sundays.
You are equating an organization with an idea. That makes no sense. Could you come up with a better example? You could even use Walt Brown.

I agree with you, but now you are on Stripe’s black list.
That's OK. At least Stripe and I will get on with that discussion in an honest way.

What do you mean by “non-selectable” in the context you use it? Are you using the term “selectable” as meaning something natural selection can act on?
Yes.

So with that cleared up, here's the statement so you can have another go at it: "Demonstrate non-selectable nucleotide changes spreading in a population; and at the same time avoiding mutational load; to the point where a complex organ required for survival is created."

Agreed. Most are neutral. Of those that are not neutral, most are deleterious. Occasionally one is beneficial. Like brown fur giving way to white.
Great, we took a step forward. Now for the next step, you do understand that most nucleotide changes that are the initial changes of a new vital organ are not selectable either?

So what you are asking for is novelty – introducing something not already found in the parent genome. How perfectly does your DNA duplicate that of your parents?
So are you going to claim that changes from one generation to the next are on the phylum level?

I am basing my statement on the claim that only a few percent of the DNA is encoding. Like someone said, at the DNA level, most of us are much closer to being bananas than our outward appearance would suggest.
Awww c'mon now, don't start dissing "looks" or you'll end up contradicting yourself.

Seriously, though, what makes you think we only use a small portion of our DNA? I'd put our usage at over 50%. Would you put it at under 50%?

I haven’t figured out what “it” is that you think geology data will help us to believe.
"it" is the data that you provide. If you provide the data, one would hope you believe it.

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Context please. Her answer was “I’m not going to answer (because) you and I both know that science does not currently know every single gene involved in making hearts and what are the differences between them in every organism. Yeah, I think that is a fine answer. I wonder about you asking for data that doesn’t exist, and may be lost in ages past.
Her answer was "I'm not going to answer because [useless excuse]". The excuse was useless because she knows I didn't ask for an exact number. A range would have been fine.

As I have repeated several times, I am looking at the increase in morphological complexity. That is as clear in those figures to you as it is to me.
And morphological complexity is useless, as you said: "It doesn’t prove evolution. It doesn’t even make the claim that the stages of heart complexity shown are the ones that our ancestors went through."

The DNA data is your demand, not mine.
No, the DNA data is not only my demand, but also the demand of science. Reason demands that if you have DNA data, you use it.

As to the amount of DNA alteration that would be required to go from each heart to the next one up in complexity, you can spout big-sounding numbers all you want.
All those hearts are related from the LUCA on up according to evolution, no?

I don’t know where you are going with talking of integrating into other systems.
The heart is connected to the body. This connection requires structures that are coded in DNA. Sheesh, one would think a smart guy like you could figure that out.

Yorzhik said:
But don't blame us for being skeptical in the light of your lack of data since, having 3 billion nucleotides of DNA, if just .1% of those is involved with building the heart and its integration into the body system... that's still 3 million nucleotides. That's a lot of letters to line up and it isn't ridiculous to think that there are a number of wilding varying possibilities that could make other hearts and their integration into other systems.
But it sounds like you are making a point that Dawkins did in “Climbing Mount Improbable” – that often there are “a number of wilding varying possibilities”. Is that bad?
You missed it completely. A designer has a lot of options, but evolution has to work from a LUCA on up. Is that clear? Or do you need me to hit you over the head with the obvious?

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Let’s quit playing word games. Let’s recap -

Alwight said:

You responded:

Now when both alwight and I ask what evidence you say that “evolutionists found”, you allude to some indefinite sediment map or nucleotide data. If that is as specific as you can get, then you are bluffing when you say that an evolutionist found falsifying data.
I didn't allude to some "indefinite sediment map or nucleotide data". I asked for your definite data on sediment maps and nucleotide data. It was very specific.

DavisBJ

It isn't pathological, it's reasonable.

Looks (morphology) is meaningless.
I admit a fairly good understanding of specifically how changes in DNA would result in morphological changes would be valuable. But I think we are probably decades from being able to look at a specific DNA and accurately know what many of those instructions will result in biologically. So you seem to have found safe haven on that “god of the gaps” island, as least until we do figure out how to decode what a DNA will make.

For millennia morphology has been taken as an indicator of biological relatedness. I am aware that morphology is not a perfect yardstick. But I suspect it is more reliable than you seem to admit.

For example, life has long been categorized into the “kingdom – phylum – class – order - family – genus – species” classifications (or derivatives thereof). Alate, correct me if I am wrong, but this is primarily a morphologically derived system, and it has done a pretty good job for a long time. Certainly DNA analysis had no part in setting it up initially.

I saw a discussion ( I think it was here at TOL) from some months ago where a biologist said that so far, comparing the DNA of animals with their classification based on the old morphological system had pretty well confirmed that careful morphological classification and DNA relatedness correlated very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.