Roman Persecution of Christians

God's Truth

I said it was Saul that persecuted Christians. Paul didn't. Read and try to understand what I write!

This is Paul saying he did it.

Acts 22:4 I persecuted the followers of this Way to their death, arresting both men and women and throwing them into prison,

Acts 22:19 Lord,' I answered, 'they know very well that in one synagogue after another I imprisoned and beat those who believed in You.

Acts 26:9 So then, I too was convinced that I ought to do all I could to oppose the name of Jesus of Nazareth.

I have already told you there are many scriptures that call PAUL 'SAUL' even AFTER he was saved.

God's Truth

I haven't said Saul didn't persecute Christians but when he became the new creation Paul he didn't.
Try think it through.

You just can't admit you were taught something. You didn't know that Paul was still called Saul sometimes after being saved; just like Peter is still called Simon sometimes.

God's Truth

I haven't said Saul didn't persecute Christians but when he became the new creation Paul he didn't.
Try think it through.

I want to elaborate on more of personal level as to why it is important to me to get it out there that Paul was still called Saul sometimes even after he was saved. See sometime after I was saved, it was a little of a concern to me on whether I should have people call me a different name now, because well Paul had a name change, right? It wasn't a real big struggle for me or anything, but something a baby Christian might wonder about. I think people should know and accept the truth when they hear it so they can keep moving on in knowing God better. Paul was a man who was violent and changing his 'S' to a 'P' was probably not to have people gasp when they heard the name 'Saul'. Another thing to consider is how it is wrong to think we need another name, and it is something the Catholic denomination teaches to do. In other countries in the past, the parents picked another name when the baby was baptized, it became like a middle name. In America, the Catholic denomination teaches to get another name at the time of confirmation, and they really stress to pick a name of a "Catholic Saint".

So I hope now you understand more of the passion behind my posts to you about Paul and his name and how we aren't told to do that.

Bradley D

Another interesting point is the name Paul was Roman not Hebrew. Paul was also a Roman Citizen which may have made his disciplship among the gentiles more influential in carrying his mission.

Strong's Exhaustive Concordance
Paul, Paulus.

Of Latin origin; (little; but remotely from a derivative of pauo, meaning the same); Paulus, the name of a Roman and of an apostle -- Paul, Paulus.