Repentance is given by the Saviour !

beloved57

As it is with Gospel Faith, so it is with Gospel Repentance, its not of man, but the Gift of the Saviour. Jesus told His sent Messengers that Repentance and Remission of sins are to be preached in His Name Lk 24:46-47

46 And said unto them, Thus it is written, and thus it behooved Christ to suffer, and to rise from the dead the third day:

47 And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.

That they should be preached in His Name means they are products , effects of His Person and Work, His suffering and death and resurrection.

He was raised from the dead a Prince and a Saviour in order to give repentance and remission of sins Acts 5:31

31 Him hath God exalted with his right hand to be a Prince and a Saviour, for to give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins.

The word give[ didómi ] here means to bestow as a Gift

Its a word that denotes causative results, it means to bring forth, for instance how the word is used here Matt 13:8

8 But other fell into good ground, and brought forth fruit, some an hundredfold, some sixtyfold, some thirtyfold.

James 5:18

And he prayed again, and the heaven gave rain, and the earth brought forth her fruit.

So Christ as a Risen Saviour brings about and effects repentance upon them Hes a Saviour unto, those He suffered and died for, mainly the Elect of God amongst all Nations !

Christ isnt ones Saviour if He doesnt give them Repentance !

Last edited:

beloved57

Now the Israel spoken of in Acts 5:31 to whom their Saviour gives them repentance, its not national physical Israel, but a Spiritual Israel Chosen in Christ, and it includes some Gentiles Acts 11:18

18 When they heard these things, they held their peace, and glorified God, saying, Then hath God also to the Gentiles granted repentance unto life.

Israel the Spiritual Seed of Abraham and of Christ has Gentiles in it!

Also the word granted in Acts 11:18 and the word give in Acts 5:31 are the same greek word didōmi.

turbosixx

As it is with Gospel Faith, so it is with Gospel Repentance, its not of man, but the Gift of the Saviour. Jesus told His sent Messengers that Repentance and Remission of sins are to be preached in His Name Lk 24:46-47

[FONT=&]46 And said unto them, Thus it is written, and thus it behooved Christ to suffer, and to rise from the dead the third day:[/FONT]
[FONT=&]47 And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.

That they should be preached in His Name means they are products , effects of His Person and Work, His suffering and death and resurrection.

He was raised from the dead a Prince and a Saviour in order to give repentance and remission of sins Acts 5:31

31 Him hath God exalted with his right hand to be a Prince and a Saviour, for to give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins.

The word give[ didómi ] here means to bestow as a Gift

Its a word that denotes causative results, it means to bring forth, for instance how the word is used here Matt 13:8

8 But other fell into good ground, and brought forth fruit, some an hundredfold, some sixtyfold, some thirtyfold.

James 5:18

And he prayed again, and the heaven gave rain, and the earth brought forth her fruit.

So Christ as a Risen Saviour brings about and effects repentance upon them Hes a Saviour unto, those He suffered and died for, mainly the Elect of God amongst all Nations !

Christ isnt ones Saviour if He doesnt give them Repentance !
[/FONT]

In His Name means he has the authority to offer forgiveness of sins but the people must repent to receive the forgiveness.
Lk. 13:3 I tell you, no, but unless you repent, you will all likewise perish.

Paul said God calls everyone to repent.
Acts 17:30 Therefore having overlooked the times of ignorance, God is now declaring to men that all people everywhere should repent,

beloved57

In His Name means he has the authority to offer forgiveness of sins but the people must repent to receive the forgiveness.
Lk. 13:3 I tell you, no, but unless you repent, you will all likewise perish.

Paul said God calls everyone to repent.
Acts 17:30 Therefore having overlooked the times of ignorance, God is now declaring to men that all people everywhere should repent,
False teaching. In His Name does not have anything to do with a offer. Repentance isn't offered, it's given. In His Name regards His Person and Work, His Accomplishment, He gets the Glory and Credit for it.

Sent from my 5054N using TheologyOnline mobile app

turbosixx

False teaching. In His Name does not have anything to do with a offer. Repentance isn't offered, it's given.

If it's given, then all men have it because God is declaring it to all men.

Nanja

Now the Israel spoken of in Acts 5:31 to whom their Saviour gives them repentance, its not national physical Israel, but a Spiritual Israel Chosen in Christ, and it includes some Gentiles Acts 11:18

18 When they heard these things, they held their peace, and glorified God, saying, Then hath God also to the Gentiles granted repentance unto life.

Israel the Spiritual Seed of Abraham and of Christ has Gentiles in it!

Also the word granted in Acts 11:18 and the word give in Acts 5:31 are the same greek word didōmi.

Amen Brother!

Repentance is Given, along with Faith, to God's Elect Israel, those Chosen in Christ Eph. 1:4 of all the nations of the world Gen. 12:3 that He gave His Life for Heb. 2:16. They're Covenant Blessings through the meritorious Person and Work of Jesus Christ on their behalf.

And in this verse also, the word give is didomi and it's the result of God giving them His Spirit in New Birth:

2 Tim. 2:25
In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth;

turbosixx

Why haven't you studied it ? You brought it up! If you bring up a scripture please be ready to discuss and explain it, don't put it off on someone else!

I'm trying to understand what you mean. You said repentance is a gift given from God and it's not from man. If man has no choice and God desires all men to be saved, then shouldn't God give repentance to all men.
1 Tim. 2:3 This is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior, 4 who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.
2 Pt. 3:9 The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish but for all to come to repentance.
If he wants all to be saved and doesn't give it to all, why not? What determines who gets it and who does not?

The way I understand it, those who believe the gospel are moved to repentance. For example, Paul wanted to save as many of the Jews as he could but he knows he needed to convince them.
Rom. 11:14 if somehow I might move to jealousy my fellow countrymen and save some of them.

People need to come to an understanding of the truth. Here Paul is persuading.
Acts 28:23 When they had set a day for Paul, they came to him at his lodging in large numbers; and he was explaining to them by solemnly testifying about the kingdom of God and trying to persuade them concerning Jesus, from both the Law of Moses and from the Prophets, from morning until evening.

beloved57

I'm trying to understand what you mean. You said repentance is a gift given from God and it's not from man. If man has no choice and God desires all men to be saved, then shouldn't God give repentance to all men.
1 Tim. 2:3 This is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior, 4 who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.
2 Pt. 3:9 The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish but for all to come to repentance.
If he wants all to be saved and doesn't give it to all, why not? What determines who gets it and who does not?

The way I understand it, those who believe the gospel are moved to repentance. For example, Paul wanted to save as many of the Jews as he could but he knows he needed to convince them.
Rom. 11:14 if somehow I might move to jealousy my fellow countrymen and save some of them.

People need to come to an understanding of the truth. Here Paul is persuading.
Acts 28:23 When they had set a day for Paul, they came to him at his lodging in large numbers; and he was explaining to them by solemnly testifying about the kingdom of God and trying to persuade them concerning Jesus, from both the Law of Moses and from the Prophets, from morning until evening.
I explained what I meant in the Op and following post. Did you read the points I made?