Reason to look for another job

Volts

I'm looking for a new job because my current job does not pay enough. I'm having a difficult time paying for all of my expenses. If I had a higher paying job, paying for all of my expenses would not be so difficult. If I get interviewed for a new job, is it a good idea to tell interviewer about this? I was just wondering because I don't want to sound like I'm desperate for more money or that I just work to get a big paycheck. Should I have another reason for getting a new job?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I don't get it. You are wondering if you should tell the interviewer you are interviewing for a new job?

Truster

I'm looking for a new job because my current job does not pay enough. I'm having a difficult time paying for all of my expenses. If I had a higher paying job, paying for all of my expenses would not be so difficult. If I get interviewed for a new job, is it a good idea to tell interviewer about this? I was just wondering because I don't want to sound like I'm desperate for more money or that I just work to get a big paycheck. Should I have another reason for getting a new job?

Can't you just live within your means?

Daniel1611

Good luck on the interview. I have an interview tomorrow actually. I'm looking for a new job because I'm so fed up with the one I have. If they ask why I want a new job, I'm going to tell them the truth that I need a more challenging job with more room to grow. Which is the truth. I'm just going to leave out the fact that I'm fed up with my job.

Volts

I don't get it. You are wondering if you should tell the interviewer you are interviewing for a new job?

I was wondering if I should tell the interviewer that I need to find a higher paying job because I'm having trouble paying for all of my expenses.

Lon

I've done interviews and classes, but am not an expert, just fairly versed in this: Most employers do not want to talk at all about money. They are looking for people who fill the nitch for the opening they have. In that, talk as much as you can about the job position and how best you can fit. When they ask you to ask questions/have questions, ask about specific job related questions, that fill that nitch and would help you fill it further. Be kind, friendly, polite, and professional. You 'can' ask about raises, promotion within the company, and furthering your career with them. Ask about their goals and how your job fits into the overall picture. Such questions are encouraged.

You 'can' talk about your need to care for family with a job-growth opportunity, etc. In other words, don't talk $$$ as much as how things relate to the job and your ability to meet the demands of that job.

If they are asking you why you want to move on, find out if they give you room to grow and advance, Then you can tell them that is the reason you are leaving, because you cannot advance and grow. They will read "more $" between the lines.

Lon

Daedalean's_Sun

I've done interviews and classes, but am not an expert, just fairly versed in this: Most employers do not want to talk at all about money. They are looking for people who fill the nitch for the opening they have. In that, talk as much as you can about the job position and how best you can fit. When they ask you to ask questions/have questions, ask about specific job related questions, that fill that nitch and would help you fill it further. Be kind, friendly, polite, and professional. You 'can' ask about raises, promotion within the company, and furthering your career with them. Ask about their goals and how your job fits into the overall picture. Such questions are encouraged.

^This. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Truster

Better off learning to be content than living in discontentment, disappointment and drudgery.

''Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content''. (Paul)

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I was wondering if I should tell the interviewer that I need to find a higher paying job because I'm having trouble paying for all of my expenses.

Everybody wants a higher paying job and the person doing the interview would leave his job for a higher paying jobs even if he doesn't say so. The PC way of answering is "to further your career" when asked why you want this job.

Volts

You 'can' talk about your need to care for family with a job-growth opportunity, etc. In other words, don't talk $$$ as much as how things relate to the job and your ability to meet the demands of that job.

If they are asking you why you want to move on, find out if they give you room to grow and advance, Then you can tell them that is the reason you are leaving, because you cannot advance and grow. They will read "more $" between the lines.

Lon

Thank you. Those are some great things to talk about during an interview. I'll talk about how my skills can fit the job and that I want to have more room to grow and advance.