Real Science Friday: The Energy Order of the Universe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr.Watson

Edited for clarification:

Entropy is certainly not problematic to, or contrary to, the theory of evolution. Unless one doesn't understand this law. The lay persons misunderstood understanding of entropy is actually more of a problem to creationism than it is to evolution. Inbreeding is procreation in a closed system. This closed system leads to "disorder" (destruction of the inbreeding species) due to the compounding inheritance of defective genetic material.

Last edited:

ThePhy

Entropy is certainly not problematic to, or contrary to, the theory of evolution. Unless one doesn't understand this law. Evolution is not a closed system. Entropy is, however, problematic to creationism. Entropy is the reason inbreeding is so disastrous to procreation as procreation is essentially a closed system. This law tells us that Adam and Eve populating the earth by themselves would be completely impossible. Let alone that plus the re-population of the earth with only two of each species after a supposed global flood.
I concur that the Second Law is not problematic for evolution. But I think you are trying to force-fit the Second Law when you say it is problematic for the Adam and Eve story. Unless you can show specifically how it gives problems for Adam and Eve, I will have to part company with you on that.

Dr.Watson

I concur that the Second Law is not problematic for evolution. But I think you are trying to force-fit the Second Law when you say it is problematic for the Adam and Eve story. Unless you can show specifically how it gives problems for Adam and Eve, I will have to part company with you on that.

I guess it's more metaphorical, however, extremely similar.

Inbreeding is procreation in a closed system. Without new genetic material introduced into the cycle, all defective gene's are inherited in a compounding cycle. Hence leading to genetic disease, mental retardation, and eventually, impotency. Please correct me if I'm wrong. :)

Last edited:

ThePhy

I guess it's more metaphorical, however, extremely similar.

Inbreeding is procreation in a closed system. Without new genetic material introduced into the cycle, all defective gene's are inherited in a compounding cycle. Hence leading to genetic disease, mental retardation, and eventually, impotency. Please correct me if I'm wrong. :)
Metaphorical, yes. And I concur with the genetic problems you mention.

But ideas from science get hijacked as support for all kinds of personal beliefs. Just because the Second Law deals with disorder, and usually in a closed system, does not mean it applies to things like the genetic problems you mention. Don’t misuse science.

Dr.Watson

Metaphorical, yes. And I concur with the genetic problems you mention.

But ideas from science get hijacked as support for all kinds of personal beliefs. Just because the Second Law deals with disorder, and usually in a closed system, does not mean it applies to things like the genetic problems you mention. Don’t misuse science.

I edited my original post to reflect what I was trying to say rather than what I actually communicated. However, it's not really a misuse of science as it was simply a poor attempt on my part of communicating my point in regards to entropy and evolution/creationism. My apologies for the confusion.

ThePhy

Edited for clarification:

Entropy is certainly not problematic to, or contrary to, the theory of evolution. Unless one doesn't understand this law. The lay persons misunderstood understanding of entropy is actually more of a problem to creationism than it is to evolution. Inbreeding is procreation in a closed system. This closed system leads to "disorder" (destruction of the inbreeding species) due to the compounding inheritance of defective genetic material.
If this is clarification, what do you do when you want confusion? Tell you what. Write something about why you shouldn’t marry your sister. Then a thousand pages later, or even in a totally different book, when discussing something purely in physics, then just barely mention entropy. OK?

Dr.Watson

If this is clarification, what do you do when you want confusion? Tell you what. Write something about why you shouldn’t marry your sister. Then a thousand pages later, or even in a totally different book, when discussing something purely in physics, then just barely mention entropy. OK?

Are you this upset about the mis-understanding and mis-use of entropy with evolution from the OP? Or have I just had the misfortune of rubbing shoulders with you on the wrong day? By the way, for even further clarification (confusion) I'm not incorrect in using the term entropy when discussing genetics. It's not the same as the second law of thermodynamics, but neither is Bob Enyart's thoughts regarding the thermodynamic entropic principle and evolution. However, that was not what I wished to communicate, and I have since corrected myself. Again, sorry for the misunderstandings.

ThePhy

Are you this upset about the mis-understanding and mis-use of entropy with evolution from the OP? Or have I just had the misfortune of rubbing shoulders with you on the wrong day? By the way, for even further clarification (confusion) I'm not incorrect in using the term entropy when discussing genetics. It's not the same as the second law of thermodynamics, but neither is Bob Enyart's thoughts regarding the thermodynamic entropic principle and evolution. However, that was not what I wished to communicate, and I have since corrected myself. Again, sorry for the misunderstandings.
Good catch, my apologies. You said entropy, and I instantly saw thermodynamic entropy. Not necessarily the same at all. Ignore me

Dr.Watson

Good catch, my apologies. You said entropy, and I instantly saw thermodynamic entropy. Not necessarily the same at all. Ignore me

No apologies needed. I understand how irritating it is for someone to willingly and purposefully mis-apply scientific understanding. Even if it is misunderstanding. :think:

;) :cheers:

DavisBJ

RSF: The Energy Order of the Universe

This is the show from Friday January 8th, 2010.

BEST QUOTES OF THE SHOW:

SUMMARY:

* Real Science Friday on the Energy Order of the Universe: Fred Williams and Bob Enyart discuss a fascinating article in the Fall 2009 Creation Research Society Quarterly by James Powell on the energy burned by stars throughout the universe. See also Bob Enyart's debate on Entropy and Evolution!
I did some browsing back in the archives of Enyart’s shows. In listening to one from a year ago (Jan 8, 2010 – The Energy Order of the Universe), I kept hearing Enyart use the unusual terminology “energy order”. I have never heard that before. For example, at about the 5 minute mark into the show, Enyart spoke of “An initial state where there was a very high order of energy.” At about 6:50 I heard him say “And specifically, when we are talking about physics, the disorder of energy, energy disorder …” Then at 7:25 was this “The supreme law of all the laws of nature is that energy disorder always increases.” Lastly, at 23:25 he confirmed the use of the unique terminology with: “The origin of energy order – I always like to add “energy order” cannot …”.

My question for Bob - What is “energy order”?

Status
Not open for further replies.