Real Science Friday: Neil Armstrong Gone, Moon Hoax Going

Granite

Hall of Fame
The last four?!?

Stripe posts nothing else. Anytime there starts to be an actual discussion, Stripe comes along and drives everyone away with inanity.

I keep telling you guys to stop feeding him and put him on ignore. I did just that years ago and believe me, it saves time.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I keep telling you guys to stop feeding him and put him on ignore. I did just that years ago and believe me, it saves time.

Ah, granite. Cowards are ever desperate for company. :loser:

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
How do these things change the calculates provided?
When mass is ejected into space at escape velocity it does not fall back to the surface. Less mass to fall back to the surface means less dust accumulates. In short, it means that the equations he used overstate the amount of dust accumulated over time.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
When mass is ejected into space at escape velocity it does not fall back to the surface. Less mass to fall back to the surface means less dust accumulates. In short, it means that the equations he used overstate the amount of dust accumulated over time.

How much less? Half?

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Sez the evidence.

If the asteroids and comets that caused these huge craters had hit the earth just within the last 6,000 to 10,000 years, all higher life on earth would have been devastated.
All life being wiped out a few thousand years ago, eh? :think:

Interesting.

See what I mean, Paulos? His goal is not to contribute to the discussion - his goal is to end any intelligent discussion, using elementary-school tactics.
:allsmile:

Paulos

All life being wiped out a few thousand years ago, eh? :think:

If all of the craters on earth had been impacted within a short time-span over just the last 6,000 to 10,000 years, earth would be inhospitable to life to this very day. The climate and the atmosphere would be in such a wreck that it would be devastating to all higher life forms.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
If all of the craters on earth had been impacted within a short time-span over just the last 6,000 to 10,000 years, earth would be inhospitable to life to this very day. The climate and the atmosphere would be devastating to all higher life forms.

Maybe, maybe not. :)

Certainly, things are able to survive meteor strikes.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Certainly things can survive impact winters. :idunno:

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
How much less? Half?
The fact that there are errors in the calculations has been established. That was the the point of the discussion. The amount of the reduction is unknowable without analyzing the impacts in greater detail. As pointed out earlier, the velocity, angle of impact and mass of the meteor all play a part in determining how much mass is ejected into space during a collision.