Real Science Friday: Dinosaurs, Fossils & Montana's Best Museum

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Dinosaurs, Fossils & Montana's Best Museum

This is the show from Friday, March 30th 2012.

SUMMARY:

Curator Otis Kline
: On this special edition of Real Science Friday, Otis Kline, founder of the Glendive Dinosaur & Fossil Museum talks with Bob Enyart about the two world renowned laboratories that both reported Carbon 14 in their Edmontosaur, Hadrosaur, and Triceratops fossils. These results match two peer-reviewed studies that have also carbon dated dinosaur era specimens, from multiple labs, and all indicating that these specimens are thousands and not millions of years old!

Visit the Glendive Dinosaur & Fossil Museum: If you're going to Montana, you've GOT TO SEE THIS MUSEUM! If you're not going to Montana, you've GOT TO GO TO MONTANA! Please call ahead if you are planning to go: (406) 377-FACT (3228) or email Otis Kline at fact@midrivers.com.

* See Bob's Software Invention: at RealScienceFriday.com/Display.exe. Bob's program can display, among other things, the source code for any software program!

* Find the Two PhysOrg.com Errors in the Following Quote: Curator Otis Cline informed our RSF audience about this recent scientific discovery of interest toward refuting old-earth assumptions. QUESTIONS: Regarding the soft muscle tissue from a salamander recently excavated, a PhysOrg.com article has an error in the first and last sentences of this excerpt. Can you spot them?

Scientists have extracted organically preserved muscle tissue from an 18 million years old salamander fossil. The discovery by researchers from University College Dublin, the UK and Spain, reported in the Proceedings of the Royal Society B shows that soft tissue can be preserved under a broader set of fossil conditions than previously known. The scientists claim that their discovery is unequivocal evidence that high-fidelity organic preservation of extremely decay prone soft tissues is more common in the fossil record - the only physical record of the history of life on earth.

ANSWERS: Last Sentence Error. This PhysOrg report falsely claims that fossils are the only physical record of the history of life on earth. Because of heritable mutations and other modifications to the genomes of millions of different species, DNA provides another physical record of the history of life. Our own cells therefore provide a biological clock that could theoretically date the original man and woman from whom all living human beings descended! (See RealScienceFriday.com/list#mtDNA) And there is plenty of unfossilized animal and plant material that scientists have excavated (and even just picked up off the ground) from allegedly millions of years ago.

Spoiler

First Sentence Error. The first sentence repeats the falacy that such fossils bearing soft tissue are millions of years old. Original biological material including as in a T. rex, a hardrosaur, Archaeopteryx, a mosasaur, and this salamander, would not survive for millions of years. (See RealScienceFriday.com/list-of-not-so-old-things.)

* Amazingly Accurate Measurements: Mass spectrometers are now so precise they can practically count individual carbon 14 atoms. With the accuracy and caution used in labs to not contaminate specimens it is very unlikely that the dating of soft tissue from dinosaurs is inaccurate. Therefore these results reliably indicate ages in the thousands and not in the millions of years. For more, see RealScienceFriday.com/list#c14.

* The Writen Debate with Atheist AronRA and Bob Enyart: The creation/evolution debate on the British website League of Reason continues with Bob's post in Round Four. We're eagerly waiting for Aron's Round Four post!

Today's Resource: Have you browsed through our Science Department in the KGOV Store? Check out especially Walt Brown's In the Beginning and Bob's interviews with this great scientist in Walt Brown Week! You'll also love Dr. Guillermo Gonzalez' Privileged Planet (clip), and Illustra Media's Unlocking the Mystery of Life (clip)! You can consider our BEL Science Pack; Bob Enyart's Age of the Earth Debate; and the superb kids' radio programming, Jonathan Park: The Adventure Begins! And Bob strongly recommends that you subscribe to CMI's tremendous Creation magazine!

Last edited by a moderator:

Jukia

More nonsense based on the oral tradition of shepherds. Well either that or the next Nobel laureate. Ahh, guess we can save our $ for air fare.

Frayed Knot

CreationistKitteh.jpg

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I notice the evolutionists have got nothing again. :chuckle:

:mock: atheists.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Apparently those are what they use for mass spectrometry. :chuckle:

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Is this really the best the evolutionists can do? Your image is too big therefore your argument is invalid. :chuckle:

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Hmmmm :think: The image is too big. Thus the argument is invalid. Not! C'mon guys can't you dredge up an argument better than that?

:mock: Atheists.

Frayed Knot

Is this really the best the evolutionists can do? Your image is too big therefore your argument is invalid. :chuckle:

Was that your interpretation of my simple question? There's a giant picture of a gas chromatograph in the opening post. It's so large that it makes the OP very difficult to read - I have to scroll the web page left and right with every line I'm reading because someone thought it was really important to include that picture, and that it be not normal-sized, but giant.

So I was looking for a reason for its being there. Not only can I not find a reason for its size, I can't find a reason for its being there at all. There is no reference in the OP to whatever is contained in the picture. Maybe that's what's used in C14 dating, I don't know. Actually, it seems to me that a mass spectrometer would be the tool for that, but I admit that I'm not the C14 expert.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Was that your interpretation of my simple question?
Nope. :)

I didn't need to interpret your question. And I answered it. :)
Maybe that's what's used in C14 dating, I don't know. Actually, it seems to me that a mass spectrometer would be the tool for that, but I admit that I'm not the C14 expert.
You Googled enough to find out what it is - why not a little more to see what it can do? :)

Frayed Knot

I didn't Google it - the company I work for makes both gas chromatographs and mass spectrometers (however I don't work with those).

So does that picture actually relate to the topic? Does showing it help someone understand the OP?

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Might be more interesting if the creationists could actually come up with a peer-reviewed article showing that there was any tissue in those fossils. So far, the people reporting it seem to have shied away from calling it tissue.

And the supposed link to two peer-reviewed articles went to a religious site, minus the articles.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I didn't Google it - the company I work for makes both gas chromatographs and mass spectrometers (however I don't work with those).

So does that picture actually relate to the topic? Does showing it help someone understand the OP?

GREAT! Then you should be able to tell us what a gas chronograph does. :up: