Real Science Friday: Comets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The mechanism for launching comets, see your post #90, my posts 91, 94, 98 and 100 and your OK in post 101.

Understand now?

Oh. Sure.

Comets were launched from earth by an extreme eruptive event in ancient times.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
(Stipe is asked to provide a mechanism for his belief)

Is this the same guy who said evolutionary theory fails because we don't have a fossil for every step in the evolutionary process? :crackup:

Jukia

Oh. Sure.

I see, Walt Brown, correct?
And to do that they needed to reach escape velocity. Since we are able to make things reach escape velocity by the addition of force and expenditure of energy over a fairly substantial period of time (starts slow, gets faster) do you have a mechanism to do that or do you need to have escape velocity from the very start?
Please advise. Thanks

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Is this the same guy who said evolutionary theory fails because we don't have a fossil for every step in the evolutionary process?
:think:

One would expect to see nice gradiation between species in the fossil record if they were slowly changing over millions of years...

Also if uniformitarian ideas of geology were correct.

Pity neither of them are.

But that's a kinda weak assault on evolution.

And to do that they needed to reach escape velocity. Since we are able to make things reach escape velocity by the addition of force and expenditure of energy over a fairly substantial period of time (starts slow, gets faster) do you have a mechanism to do that or do you need to have escape velocity from the very start?
Please advise. Thanks

They start out fast.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
One would expect to see nice gradiation between species in the fossil record if they were slowly changing over millions of years...

If I could show you such a graduation so precise that no two adjacent fossils differ by more than is seen within a single species of mammals today, would you admit that we have such evidence?

Also if uniformitarian ideas of geology were correct.

So far, the evidence shows it to be correct. There is no evidence whatever for the laws of nature changing over the history of the Earth.

Pity neither of them are.

So let's test your belief. Let's start with the fossils. Ready? And while I'm doing that, how about answering the question about how a large portion of the Earth's water got shot into orbit? You've been dodging that for some time; surely you must realize what it looks like to other people.

But that's a kinda weak assault on evolution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukia
Please advise. Thanks

They start out fast.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
If I could show you such a graduation so precise that no two adjacent fossils differ by more than is seen within a single species of mammals today, would you admit that we have such evidence?

I can show you the same thing with animals alive today. They didn't evolve from each other. So I might accept what you say as evidence, but I'd need to burden myself with all your assumptions to find that evidence very compelling.

So far, the evidence shows it to be correct. There is no evidence whatever for the laws of nature changing over the history of the Earth.

All your enemies are made of straw. You should know. You built them.

So let's test your belief. Let's start with the fossils. Ready?

What belief? What are you talking about now?

And while I'm doing that, how about answering the question about how a large portion of the Earth's water got shot into orbit? You've been dodging that for some time; surely you must realize what it looks like to other people.
:squint:

You're weird.

Jukia said:
How fast?

Depends. The fastest stuff had to be going around 11km/s .. if what I remember as Earth's escape velocity is correct.

Jukia

Depends. The fastest stuff had to be going around 11km/s .. if what I remember as Earth's escape velocity is correct.

No, everything that escaped needed to be going 11km/s, immediately becasue unlike our rockets, there would be no further force applied over time. What is the mechanism to do that? To accelerate rock from 0 to 11 km/second?

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
No, everything that escaped needed to be going 11km/s
True, but not everything escaped. :)

In fact, most stuff didn't.

immediately becasue unlike our rockets, there would be no further force applied over time. What is the mechanism to do that? To accelerate rock from 0 to 11 km/second?

Something akin to a volcano. But obviously a lot more potent.

Jukia

True, but not everything escaped. :)

In fact, most stuff didn't.

Something akin to a volcano. But obviously a lot more potent.

And the energy released by that more potent than a volcano something went where? It all could not go to moving rock, remember the 2nd law.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
And the energy released by that more potent than a volcano something went where? It all could not go to moving rock, remember the 2nd law.

:squint: Where does energy normally go that wasn't used for propelling stuff? Same place.

Status
Not open for further replies.