Real Science Friday: Christianity Today's Search for Adam

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Barbarian explains:
Actually, cheetahs likely don't have any greater "load" than humans do. The real problem is a severe lack of genetic diversity. They are so alike that apparently, they can all serve as tissue donors for each other.

That's not unreasonable, I'm no cheetah expert, plus there probably is not enough data to really make a determination.

It's very well studied. Probably the best-studied example of reduction in genetic diversity in a large mammal. edit: Sequencing of the entire Cheetah genome is now underway.

I guess you needed a soft ball after the thrashing you've taken.

I thought you were a bit off your form.

You won't get off this easy though, I would like to see you or Alate-One deal with the 200 mutation problem I mentioned. As you probably remember from past articles I have written on this, this is a huge and devastating problem for human/chimp common ancestry.

Hmm... I must have missed that one. Tell me about it, and the evidence for it.

It has rendered this alleged ancestry completely invalid.

Odd then, that scientists don't think so. Let's take a closer look at it. Can you lay out the issue for us?

Either you make all those mutations completely neutral and deny the growing evidence against junk DNA (and also deny a mechanism for molecules-to-man evolution),

Well, a surprising amount of non-coding DNA actually does nothing that removal compromises in an organism.

Nature 431, 988-993 (21 October 2004)
Megabase deletions of gene deserts result in viable mice

Marcelo A. Nóbrega2, Yiwen Zhu2, Ingrid Plajzer-Frick, Veena Afzal & Edward M. Rubin
The functional importance of the roughly 98% of mammalian genomes not corresponding to protein coding sequences remains largely undetermined1. Here we show that some large-scale deletions of the non-coding DNA referred to as gene deserts2, 3, 4 can be well tolerated by an organism. We deleted two large non-coding intervals, 1,511 kilobases and 845 kilobases in length, from the mouse genome. Viable mice homozygous for the deletions were generated and were indistinguishable from wild-type littermates with regard to morphology, reproductive fitness, growth, longevity and a variety of parameters assaying general homeostasis. Further detailed analysis of the expression of multiple genes bracketing the deletions revealed only minor expression differences in homozygous deletion and wild-type mice. Together, the two deleted segments harbour 1,243 non-coding sequences conserved between humans and rodents (more than 100 base pairs, 70% identity). Some of the deleted sequences might encode for functions unidentified in our screen; nonetheless, these studies further support the existence of potentially ‘disposable DNA’ in the genomes of mammals.

That's a lot more non-functional stuff than I would have expected.

or you accept reality that many of these are slightly deleterious, which would force you to reject your worldview and admit human/chimps don't share a common ancestry.

You have a huge number of "slightly deleterious" alleles, but fortunately, the great majority of them are recessive, so unless you breed with a close relative, your offspring are unlikely to suffer thereby.

Quite a bind you are in!

Would have been. But God had a solution for that, too.

Barbarian observes:
Understand that "mitochondrial Eve" is not represented to be the first woman. She would merely be the last woman who is the ancestor of all living humans. Likewise with "Y Adam." But that isn't a sure thing for reasons that are probably obvious to you. Mostly it's like a town with lots of Joneses and Murpheys. One generation, the Joneses happen to have only females. So, if we go just by the "allele" for last names, then we'd suppose that the Joneses all died out. I blame the publicists who coined the "Eve" thing; it invites misunderstanding.

The point is, it's a big inconvenience for evolutionists that the Y chromosome appears to be so young.

Don't see how. Can you elaborate?

I predict we'll continue to see attempts by evolutionists to push the Y Adam date back in time by picking and choosing data. Its already what has happened over the last 15 years since this big problem for evos reared its head.

The best estimate for Y-Adam is now 60,000 to 90,000 years ago. That's using both genetic marker and molecular clock data. Both are of course, matters of probabilities, and both depend on a number of assumptions which are likely, but not absolutely certain.

Both Y-Adam and M-Eve are completely consistent with the Biblical account;

True. But not the YE account. There are some forms of creationism that would be consistent with this data.

Status
Not open for further replies.