Status
Not open for further replies.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Real Science Friday & 99 Plots Sold!

This is the show from Friday March 7th, 2008.

BEST QUOTE OF THE SHOW:
Darwin said if you find [symbiotic relationships in nature] that would disprove [his] theory.

And we find it all over nature.

* Real Science Friday Pt. ICL: Creation Research Society webmaster Fred Williams and Bob Enyart talk through the fascinating articles in the CRS Quarterly Fall 2007 edition, discussing matters as diverse as the symbiotic nature of lichen, to the steady nature of our Sun's energy output! (Thank God our star does not fluctuate in its output like all the other stars so far discovered.)

* UPDATE- Genius Book of World Records: 99 Plots sold in a day! On yesterday's BEL program, Knight from TheologyOnline.com and Brian Enyart Jr. (Bob's nephew, the son of his brother Brian) took over the studio at the BEL Cabin and made an unauthorized offer, Bob's life's work The Plot, at half-price! Yes, if you call BEFORE MIDNIGHT TONIGHT, Friday March 7, you can get The Plot, 330-pages, perfect bound with a beautiful glossy cover, for only $25, or 10 Plots for only $200! These pirates (Knight & Brian) sold 50 plots (that's startling) to Bob's live broadcast audience that listens on a single local radio station! And since yesterday, our KGOV audience has purchased another 49!

* California Court Threatens Stability of Union: Dear California homeschool families: on behalf of Denver Bible Church as its pastor, we invite you to consider moving to Colorado and we would welcome you to our state. A California state Court of Appeals has hatefully ruled that virtually all homeschooling in their state is illegal, with an exception for parents who are certified teachers. This anti-Christian ruling cannot be left to stand. If it does, California families should consider quickly moving out of state. In support of the Home School Legal Defense Fund, I urged you to sign their Petition to Request Depublishing of California Court Case In re Rachel L. and to get more information from HSLDF! Please support homeschool freedom in California. Rachel's family was represented by court-appointed attorneys and HSLDA did not become aware of the case until Feb. 28 when the Court of Appeal published their godless ruling. more...

* People who purchased those 99 Plots in the last 24 hours:
Danielle, Northglenn CO
Mark, Denver CO
Winnie, Colorado Spgs CO
James, Westminster CO 10 Plots!
Brian, Denver 5 Plots CO!
Vick, Denver CO
Scott, Longmont CO 2 Plots!
Barry, Colorado Spgs CO
Kelvin, Denver CO
Janine, Littleton CO 10 Plots!
Ed, Highlands Ranch CO
Connie, Brighton CO
Eric, Littleton CO
Paul, Colorado Spgs CO
Bill, Longmont CO
Steve, Firestone CO 2 Plots!
Jan, Silverthorne CO 10 Plots!
Doug, Hopkinsville KY 2 Plots!
Karl, St. Joseph MI
Chris, Aurora CO
Robert, Cashmere WA
Oliver, Erwin NC 2 Plots!
Joe, Noblesville IN
Timothy, Cary IL
Darrell, Goshen IN 10 Plots!
Nicolas, Carmel IN
Michael, Trinity AL 10 Plots!
Tony, Birmingham AL
Jean, Lake George CO
Dawn, Ft. Lupton CO 2 Plots!
Doris, Ft. Collins CO
John, Colorado Spgs CO
Harold, Denver CO
John, Ft. Collins CO
Greg, Indianapolis IN 10 Plots!
Ryan, Oroville CA!!

Today's Resource: You can get Bob Enyart's life's work The Plot, at half-price! Yes, if you call or order online BEFORE MIDNIGHT TONIGHT, Friday March 7, by 11:59:59 p.m. Mountain Time, you can get The Plot, 330-pages, perfect bound with a beautiful glossy cover, for only $25! Or you can get 10 Plots for only $200! 99 Plots have sold since this near-mutiny broadcast of BEL. "Hey, help me and Knight make this an instant classic BEL moment by selling JUST ONE MORE PLOT to the KGOV audience for a total of 100 since yesterday!" said Brian Enyart Jr. Wow!

MaryContrary

Hall of Fame
Oh, man! I am so broke right now. :sigh: That would be so cool. And my copy is old and worn out. I freely confess to coveting the honor of buying #100 to whoever does. Shame on me. :eek:
Still, 99 Plots in 24 hours! Wowzers! Is that normal?

Maximeee

Death2impiety's Wife
Gold Subscriber
Oh, man! I am so broke right now. :sigh: That would be so cool. And my copy is old and worn out. I freely confess to coveting the honor of buying #100 to whoever does. Shame on me. :eek:
Still, 99 Plots in 24 hours! Wowzers! Is that normal?

LOL.. No Knight & d2i just did an AWESOME job :thumb:

aharvey

How did I miss this? Well, okay, I confess that the pseudoscientific babble that issues forth on "Real" "Science" Friday is usually just too hard for me to actually listen to, but Jefferson's "best quote" caught my attention. Here's Darwin's quote:

"If it could be proved that any part of the structure of any one species had been formed for the exclusive good of another species, it would annihilate my theory, for such could not have been produced through natural selection."
Freddie claims this statement applies to symbioses, thus demolishing Darwin's theory for what, the thousandth time? Alas, his aim, as always, is off the mark, thus demolishing only his own credibility (for what, the thousandth time?).

For one thing, Darwin was certainly aware of mutually beneficial relationships among different species (the mutual and often highly specialized and even obligate adaptations of flowers and their various pollinators figure prominently in this same book, after all). So Darwin didn't mean, nor did he say, that if it could be proved that any part of the structure of any one species had been formed in a way that at all benefits another species, it would annihilate my theory, for such could not have been produced through natural selection. If you read the rest of the paragraph, indeed the chapter, that surround this quote that Fred so happily mines, that the meaning of this sentence utterly revolves around the word exclusive. That is, Darwin cannot see how a trait could evolve that brings absolutely no benefit to its bearer, or even more strongly, benefits another species to its own detriment. Here's that quote again, with the rest of the paragraph; judge for yourself:

If it could be proved that any part of the structure of any one species had been formed for the exclusive good of another species, it would annihilate my theory, for such could not have been produced through natural selection. Although many statements may be found in works on natural history to this effect, I cannot find even one which seems to me of any weight. It is admitted that the rattlesnake has a poison-fang for its own defence and for the destruction of its prey; but some authors suppose that at the same time this snake is furnished with a rattle for its own injury, namely, to warn its prey to escape. I would almost as soon believe that the cat curls the end of its tail when preparing to spring, in order to warn the doomed mouse. But I have not space here to enter on this and other such cases.

Does it really sound like Darwin is thinking about mutually beneficial relationships here?

Granite

Hall of Fame
One might also ask why creationists expect Darwinism to stay completely static (as though they believe evolutionists think Darwin's work as infallible). Perhaps because creationists aren't used to concepts changing over time...

fool

Hall of Fame
BEST QUOTE OF THE SHOW:

* Real Science Friday Pt. ICL: Creation Research Society webmaster Fred Williams and Bob Enyart talk through the fascinating articles in the CRS Quarterly Fall 2007 edition, discussing matters as diverse as the symbiotic nature of lichen, to the steady nature of our Sun's energy output! (Thank God our star does not fluctuate in its output like all the other stars so far discovered.)

This just in;
http://www.astrobiology.com/news/viewpr.html?pid=21892
The article said:
PRESS RELEASE
Date Released: Thursday, February 15, 2007
Source: Lowell Observatory

Astronomers Measure Sun-Like Brightness Changes of the Solar Twin, 18 Scorpii

Research Yields New Evidence that the Sun's Recent Brightness Variations are Typical of Sun-Like Stars

Flagstaff, Ariz. -- For the first time, astronomers have collected and analyzed a long-term set of activity and brightness measurements of a "solar twin." A team from Lowell Observatory and Tennessee State University announce today that the close solar analog, 18 Scorpii, exhibits brightness changes over the course of its activity cycle that are nearly identical to the Sun's. This star's activity cycle (the phenomenon that causes the periodic rise and fall in the number of sunspots on the Sun) is about seven years long, compared to about 10 years for recent solar cycles. However, 18 Scorpii exhibits a suite of other characteristics that are essentially the same as the Sun's. These include mass, temperature, chemical composition, and luminosity.

"We found that where the Sun's overall brightness varies by typically 0.1 percent over its activity cycle, 18 Sco likewise varies by about 0.09 percent, which is effectively the same," said Jeffrey Hall of Lowell Observatory. "And just like the Sun, 18 Scorpii gets brighter as it gets more active."

Uh-oh
That's not "just in"
That's from Febuary of last year.
Will the Creation Research Quarterly and Bob be making a correction?
The audience nervously waits......

aharvey

This just in;
http://www.astrobiology.com/news/viewpr.html?pid=21892

Uh-oh
That's not "just in"
That's from Febuary of last year.
Will the Creation Research Quarterly and Bob be making a correction?
The audience nervously waits......
No, it appears they don't! I'm getting the impression that the interest is only in the claims, not in their veracity. I'm hardly an astronomer, but in poking around in the astronomical literature I get the distinct impression that only a tiny minority of stars show detectable fluctuations in output, in rather direct opposition to Bob's claim ("Thank God our star does not fluctuate in its output like all the other stars so far discovered."). Oh wait fool, maybe we're reading this wrong! Maybe he actually meant "Thank God our star does not fluctuate in its output, like all the other stars so far discovered." Jefferson might just have accidentally left out that comma, which would reverse the meaning of the sentence as you and I interpreted it. This version would still be wrong (there are tens of thousands of variable stars in our Galaxy alone), but it would be much closer to at least what I have been able to determine from astronomy readings.

Meanwhile, I am curious what Fred has to say about why he misapplied the concept of symbioses to that Darwin quote he mined. Do you know if he posts or lurks here?

fool

Hall of Fame
Meanwhile, I am curious what Fred has to say about why he misapplied the concept of symbioses to that Darwin quote he mined. Do you know if he posts or lurks here?

Don't know, but I found a general contact address at their web site ; contact@creationresearch.org

here's the main page; http://www.creationresearch.org/index.html

If you want to join you have to accept their statement of belief;

CRS Statement of Belief said:
All members must subscribe to the following statement of belief:

1. The Bible is the written Word of God, and because it is inspired throughout, all its assertions are historically and scientifically true in the original autographs. To the student of nature this means that the account of origins in Genesis is a factual presentation of simple historical truths.

2. All basic types of living things, including man, were made by direct creative acts of God during the Creation Week described in Genesis. Whatever biological changes have occurred since Creation Week have accomplished only changes within the original created kinds.

3. The great flood described in Genesis, commonly referred to as the Noachian Flood, was an historic event worldwide in its extent and effect.

4. We are an organization of Christian men and women of science who accept Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior. The account of the special creation of Adam and Eve as one man and one woman and their subsequent fall into sin is the basis for our belief in the necessity of a Savior for all mankind. Therefore, salvation can come only through accepting Jesus Christ as our Savior.

Sure makes "research" easy when you already know what your conclusion is gonna be :rotfl:

Jukia

Its like watching a train wreck. I just can't help myself.

Did I hear Pastor Bob correctly---32 orders of mammals all appearing at once in the Cambrian? Is that what he said?

Also, "the moon keeps the oceans alive"? What is that supposed to mean? Tides? There would still be tides without the moon, only to a lesser extent---the sun has an impact on tides. But "keeps the oceans alive"? Can anyone explain that for me?

And I love the opening references to Columbine. Clearly that poor distraught father of one of the murdered kids is now an expert on Darwinian evolution. Obviously kids did not kill anyone before Darwin. Although we do have the Cain and Able story don't we?

If one is to take Pastor Bob's "logic" to the extreme, then how does one explain the anti-Semitism of both the Catholic and Protestant churches? Convert or die. Is that somehow Darwinian but long before Charles?

Last edited:

aharvey

Where are we at on this?
Well, since the general consensus seems to be that we cheer Bob and Fred on as they merrily lay waste to evil-ution and determinely ignore all the really obvious blunders they make along the way, then I'd say we're currently in the realm of determined ignorance. But is every Friday "Real Science Friday"? If so, then have no fear, come tomorrow we can momentarily slide back to cheerleading mode, at least until some wet-blanket evil-utionist again actually listens to what is being said...

Jukia

Well, since the general consensus seems to be that we cheer Bob and Fred on as they merrily lay waste to evil-ution and determinely ignore all the really obvious blunders they make along the way, then I'd say we're currently in the realm of determined ignorance. But is every Friday "Real Science Friday"? If so, then have no fear, come tomorrow we can momentarily slide back to cheerleading mode, at least until some wet-blanket evil-utionist again actually listens to what is being said...

I like that---but I like to use the term "agressive ignorance". Not only are they cemented into their thinking but they go out of their way to push it out in front.

fool

Hall of Fame
Hello?
I don't want this to get swept under the rug.
I would like a response to post #7.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
fool if you have a question for Bob call him and ask him. Bob doesn't sift through all these threads everyday. We post the highlights of Bob's shows here on TOL, Bob doesn't do it.

fool

Hall of Fame
fool if you have a question for Bob call him and ask him. Bob doesn't sift through all these threads everyday. We post the highlights of Bob's shows here on TOL, Bob doesn't do it.

I'm on nights again so a show call is cumbersome to arange.
I'll try to e-mail him a link to the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.