Question Concerning The Plot

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Freak said:
He knows all of it. For there is no limitation to His understanding.

I guess one could tussle over semantics but the truth is Scripture declares God has no limitation to His understanding/knowledge.

Knight, in the Book of Job, it states:

Be assured that my words are not false;
one perfect in knowledge is with you.
God's knowledge is perfect!

God knows everything knowable (and that which He chooses to know).

Future actions by freewill agents is by definition unknowable (otherwise the agents are no longer truly free). God doesn't want to fashion our futures for us in the form of foreknowledge.

Freak

Knight said:
God's knowledge is perfect!

God knows everything knowable (and that which He chooses to know).
But see that's putting a limitation on Him. Mere humans should not venture down this path--placing limitations of God's knowledge or understanding, as you have done by stating God only knows what is knowable. That is why the univerasal body of Christ, has generally, rejected open theism.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Freak said:
But see that's putting a limitation on Him. Mere humans should not venture down this path--placing limitations of God's knowledge or understanding, as you have done by stating God only knows what is knowable. That is why the univerasal body of Christ, has generally, rejected open theism.
Freak many limits are good!

A "limit" isn't necessarily a bad thing.

God is limited by His own righteous character (thank God!!)

Do we limit God when we say He is a righteous God and NOT an unrighteous God? Of course! And that limit is a good thing. That limit of righteousness differentiates our God with all the other false gods out there.

Limits are not a bad thing when used to accurately describe something.

Freak

Knight said:
Freak many limits are good!
I agree my friend :up:

A "limit" isn't necessarily a bad thing.
Yes, I agree.

God is limited by His own righteous character (thank God!!)
We are speaking of His divine nature. The Scriptures states, regarding His divine nature, that there are no limitations when it comes to His understanding & knowledge.

Freak

Knight, question, why do you think many reject open theism? Is it not because of some clear texts that point to the reality that there are no limitations to God's nature.

Crow

Freak said:
I agree my friend :up:
We are speaking of His divine nature. The Scriptures states, regarding His divine nature, that there are no limitations when it comes to His understanding & knowledge.

Freak, what if God chooses not to have foreknowledge of certain events so that mankind may make freewill choices? That is not a limitation on God, any more so than God is limited from halting a certain act if He chooses not to act.

Freak

Crow said:
Freak, what if God chooses not to have foreknowledge of certain events so that mankind may make freewill choices?
God cannot choose to limit His nature, what has been revealed to be true in Scripture. For example, God cannot stop from being love. God is love, that is His nature. He cannot change this, furthermore...God cannot change the fact He is not limited in His knowledge & understanding for that is His nature.

Crow

Freak said:
God cannot choose to limit His nature, what has been revealed to be true in Scripture. For example, God cannot stop from being love. God is love, that is His nature. He cannot change this, furthermore...God cannot change the fact He is not limited in His knowledge & understanding for that is His nature.

If foreknowledge is an action on His part, why can't God choose not to know the future in some instances? Wouldn't that be His choice?

Crow

Freak said:
"Part?" I'd rather use the word nature.

Because of His nature. Example: God cannot choose not to love, for He is love!

See above.

So do you think that God has no choices?

Freak

Crow said:
So do you think that God has no choices?
Crow, do you think God has a choice to being polytheistic? Some elements of God cannot change for it's His nature.

Crow

Freak said:
Crow, do you think God has a choice to being polytheistic? Some elements of God cannot change for it's His nature.
God being polytheistic means that God would worship more than one God. I cannot see that God worships anything.

Freak

Crow said:
God being polytheistic means that God would worship more than one God. I cannot see that God worships anything.
Is that a no? God cannot be polytheistic.

Let's try an easier one, Crow.

Does God have choice in not loving the Son, Jesus?

As you can see Crow, some elements of God are set. He is holy. He cannot be unholy? He has no choice in the matter. Does the Father have a choice in being unrighteous?

Crow

Since it would be pretty difficult for God to rebel against Himself and deny His own deity, I would say no.

Freak

Crow said:
Since it would be pretty difficult for God to rebel against Himself and deny His own deity, I would say no.
So He didn't have the choice. For the Bible tells us the Father loved the Son and that God is love.

Good, so you agree there are some elements of God that are set, right?

Crow

I never said that some elements aren't Freak. I said that an action, like foreknowledge, is a conscious action on God's part. He can choose to foreknow, or He can choose not to.

Freak

Crow said:
I never said that some elements aren't Freak.
Good. Some elements of God do not change, like His nature.

I said that an action, like foreknowledge, is a conscious action on God's part. He can choose to foreknow, or He can choose not to.
Isn't loving the Son an action, Crow? Did you not agree that some actions are of His very nature (like love) and that they do not change or alter?

Is His knowledge / understanding a element of His nature? Love is element of His nature but not His knowledge or understanding?