ECT Q about what Paul said about marriage

Interplanner

Why do you think that is a problem?

I think he did but didn't use the word love. He said to be subject and to respect, and that is how they love them, but it might not be the first thing that comes to mind for them, if at all. So he said it in a way that covered the things that mattered.

Interplanner

Humbly submitted, he did:

Ephesians 5:1 Therefore be imitators of God, as beloved children.
Ephesians 5:2 And walk in love, as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us, a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.

Likewise, men are told to submit to their wives also:

Ephesians 5:21 submitting to one another out of reverence for Christ.

Genesis 3:16-19 discusses problems after the Fall. One is that a woman would have a hard time submitting, and that man would rule over his wife.

The husband would have to sacrifice and care for his wife by hard work.

Ephesians, to me, seems to embrace again the difficulties in marriage between the sexes and so it is more specific to what following Christ means both to the husband and the wife, most specifically to their role and marriage and perhaps their gender and needs. I believe Paul reminds us what the other needs, and more importantly, shows that marriage is really a picture of Christ and His Church in reflection (another reason I believe scripture demands God's definite foreknowledge, because Christ was planned before the foundations). As such, the order of things was not only planned and directed, but created this way as part of God's overall plan to make good marriages, and reflect upon the very nature of God, as well as teach the Church how they are loved by the Savior, and how they are to be toward, and understand their Savior.

Again, humbly submitted in reverence to scripture, those reading, and Christ Jesus our Lord and Savior,

-Lon

So do you think that when Gen 3 says the woman would try to gain control or power and the man would have to master that, that both are problems in their own right? ie, the man's response is a curse in itself, not a divinely-instituted necessity or part of his new required things to do? The expression matches the 'sin crouching at the door, but you must master it' in the next chapter, neither of which are very positive indicators.

Last edited: