Theology Club: Predestination, Election and Freewill and the Sovereignty of God

surrender

Well I don't know what specific point you are making but it does not seem to tally with scripture, no-one is more beloved of God than Jesus, and He sure was sent into harm's way and we are taught to expect the same. Few seem to grasp this fact...God loves US with the same love wherewith He loved Jesus.

But there is joy [REAL joy] and a peace which passeth all understanding in harm's way. And assurance that we are truly walking with the Master.
I really don’t know how you can compare God’s predetermined plan of what Jesus did willingly for us to, say, a little child being raped over and over by his father. God does not predetermine such things. That’s the specific point I was trying to make.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
I really don’t know how you can compare God’s predetermined plan of what Jesus did willingly for us to, say, a little child being raped over and over by his father. God does not predetermine such things. That’s the specific point I was trying to make.

God did not predestinate sin, He foreknew that man would sin and He predestined salvation. Predestination has to do with salvation and blessing.

Last edited:

Pneuma

Well I don't know what specific point you are making but it does not seem to tally with scripture, no-one is more beloved of God than Jesus, and He sure was sent into harm's way and we are taught to expect the same. Few seem to grasp this fact...God loves US with the same love wherewith He loved Jesus.

But there is joy [REAL joy] and a peace which passeth all understanding in harm's way. And assurance that we are truly walking with the Master.

Until people start to listen to Jesus over their own doctrines they will continue to walk in error, because only He has the words of truth.

According to Jesus the Father did not knowingly put Jesus in harms way. Jesus tells us the Father thought they would reverence him (Jesus).

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
Until people start to listen to Jesus over their own doctrines they will continue to walk in error, because only He has the words of truth.

According to Jesus the Father did not knowingly put Jesus in harms way. Jesus tells us the Father thought they would reverence him (Jesus).

Oh please...read Isaiah 53

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
God did never put man in harm's way, He warned what would put man in harm's way and forbade man to partake of the knowledge of good an evil which would put him into harm's way.

devil tricked man into believing that God had lied, he deceived him into believing he had freewill to do as he pleased without any consequences which God had warned him of.

Adam did not make a simple mistake, there was much more to what occurred in the Garden than this, devil said that Adam would himself become like God. It was a conspiracy to overthrow the sovereign will of God.

Freewill doctrine is the very same agenda. It is a negation of God's will for our own freewill. God will say to His people "Ok get on with it and when you've had enough of it and the sorrow and grief it will bring upon you, call on Me."

It is sin, induced by the deception of freewill which leads to bondage and harm's way. I think that the western church is in harm's way, I think christians are hurting, I think the fault lies with the ministry and leadership, I think the fault lies in teaching this false theology.

Pneuma

God did never put man in harm's way, He warned what would put man in harm's way and forbade man to partake of the knowledge of good an evil which would put him into harm's way.

Morning TL, if God foreknew Adam would eat and die before He ever created him God put Adam in harms way knowing that he would be killed by a semi-truck.

devil tricked man into believing that God had lied, he deceived him into believing he had freewill to do as he pleased without any consequences which God had warned him of.

Adam did not make a simple mistake, there was much more to what occurred in the Garden than this, devil said that Adam would himself become like God. It was a conspiracy to overthrow the sovereign will of God.

Sure the devil tricked Adam, but according to you God knew the devil was going to do this and Adam would fall for it. It is the same as taking a child and putting that child in the middle of a freeway knowing for a fact that the child would be killed by a semi-truck?

Freewill doctrine is the very same agenda. It is a negation of God's will for our own freewill. God will say to His people "Ok get on with it and when you've had enough of it and the sorrow and grief it will bring upon you, call on Me."

It is sin, induced by the deception of freewill which leads to bondage and harm's way. I think that the western church is in harm's way, I think christians are hurting, I think the fault lies with the ministry and leadership, I think the fault lies in teaching this false theology.

Why do you look at freewill all in the negative? What about freely loving God, freely worshiping God, freely preaching the Gospel etc. God gave us freewill so that He could have a real relationship with us (just like a husband and wife), Satan however (like he does with all Gods gifts to man) tries to corrupt our freedom and bring us into bondage so that we become a slave to sin and death.

God sets us free, Satan holds us in bondage

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
Yeah well you can mutter all that to yourself, you saying all these things caught God unawares, God is never caught unawares.

The fact is He DID see the sorrow the pain and woe that is death, He therefore has an option. Knowing that these things do neccesarily accompany things that pertain to life, and I did not say I fully understand that but I accept by faith that God does know best and can be trusted when He tells me "unless a grain of seed fall into the ground and die it abideth alone". He saw that and He created the natural world taking all that into account, creating it in such a way that everything works together for the salvation of His true children.

His other option is to not create at all....I am glad that He did not take that option.

Joseph was not Jacob's first son, and Isaac was not Abraham's first son. But if either had forborne fatherhood because of the evil of the son's that went before where would the blessing be? Abel was not Adam's first son ut Cain, should Adam therefore have said [had he foreknowledge to see] I will not be a father to a murderer.

In other words God always saw that good would triumph over evil and the blessing far, far outweigh the curse.

It is foolish to suppose that God did not foreknow man would sin, you are saying something a hundred times worse for you say God gave Adam freewill, He did no such thing, where in Genesis does God say that? if He gave Adam freewill then He cannot hold man to account for using his freewill to rebel.

Freewill puts the blame for sin upon God.

Pneuma

Yeah well you can mutter all that to yourself, you saying all these things caught God unawares, God is never caught unawares.

The fact is He DID see the sorrow the pain and woe that is death, He therefore has an option. Knowing that these things do neccesarily accompany things that pertain to life, and I did not say I fully understand that but I accept by faith that God does know best and can be trusted when He tells me "unless a grain of seed fall into the ground and die it abideth alone". He saw that and He created the natural world taking all that into account, creating it in such a way that everything works together for the salvation of His true children.

His other option is to not create at all....I am glad that He did not take that option.

Joseph was not Jacob's first son, and Isaac was not Abraham's first son. But if either had forborne fatherhood because of the evil of the son's that went before where would the blessing be? Abel was not Adam's first son ut Cain, should Adam therefore have said [had he foreknowledge to see] I will not be a father to a murderer.

In other words God always saw that good would triumph over evil and the blessing far, far outweigh the curse.

It is foolish to suppose that God did not foreknow man would sin, you are saying something a hundred times worse for you say God gave Adam freewill, He did no such thing, where in Genesis does God say that? if He gave Adam freewill then He cannot hold man to account for using his freewill to rebel.

Freewill puts the blame for sin upon God.

Let us make man in our image and likeness.

Does God have freewill?

If so then in order to be made in His image and likeness we to had to be created with it.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
Adam chose [and I have never denied free choice...choice is not frrewill] to relinquish the image of God, he exchanged freedom for bondage, righteousness for wickedness, life for death.

It is not only the bible that tell us it is so but our own eyes and ears tells us it is so.

Pneuma

Adam chose [and I have never denied free choice...choice is not frrewill] to relinquish the image of God, he exchanged freedom for bondage, righteousness for wickedness, life for death.

It is not only the bible that tell us it is so but our own eyes and ears tells us it is so.

morning TL I guess we are just going to have to agree to disagree.

God bless

SeraphimsCherub

Hodge's Systematic Theology

"Arguments from Scripture
A second argument on this subject is derived from those doctrines of Scripture which necessarily suppose that free acts may be certain as to their occurrence.
1. The first and most obvious of these doctrines is the foreknowledge of God. Whatever metaphysical explanation may be given of this divine attribute; however we may ignore the distinction between knowledge and foreknowledge, or however we may contend that because God inhabits eternity, and is in no wise subject to the limitations of time, and that to Him nothing is successive, still the fact remains that we exist in time, and that to us there is a future as well as a present. It remains, therefore, a fact that human acts are known before they occur in time, and consequently are foreknown. But if foreknown as future, they must be certain; not because foreknowledge renders their occurrence certain, but because it supposes it to be so. It is a contradiction in terms to say that an uncertain event can be foreknown as certain. To deny foreknowledge to God, to say that free acts, because necessarily uncertain as to their occurrence, are not the objects of foreknowledge any more than sounds are the objects of sight, or mathematical truths of the affections, is to destroy the very idea of God. The future must be as dark to Him as to us; and He must every moment be receiving vast accessions of knowledge. He cannot be an eternal being, pervading all duration with a simultaneous existence, much less an omniscient Being, to whom there is nothing new. It is impossible, therefore, to believe in God as He is revealed in the Bible, unless we believe that all things are known unto Him from the beginning. But if all things are known, all things, whether fortuitous or free, are certain; consequently certainty must be consistent with freedom. We are not more assured of our existence than we are of our free agency. To say that this is a delusion is to deny the veracity of consciousness, which of necessity not only involves a denial of the veracity of God, but also subverts the foundation of all knowledge, and plunges us into absolute scepticism. We may just as well say that our existence is a delusion as that any other fact of consciousness is delusive. We have no more and no higher evidence for one such fact than for another. Men may speculate as they please, they must believe and act according to the laws impressed on our nature by our Creator. We must believe, therefore, in our existence and in our free agency; and as by a necessity scarcely less imperative we must believe that all things are known to God from eternity, and that if foreknown their occurrence is certain, we cannot deny that certainty is consistent with free agency without involving ourselves in palpable contradictions. This argument is so conclusive that most theistical advocates of the doctrine of contingency, when they come to deal with it, give the matter up, and acknowledge that an act may be certain as to its occurrence and yet free. They content themselves for the time being with denying that it is necessary, although it may be certain. But they forget that by "moral necessity" nothing more than certainty is intended, and that certainty is precisely the thing which, on other occasions, they affirm to be contrary to liberty. If from all eternity it is fixed how every man will act; if the same consequences follow invariably from the same antecedents; if the acts of men are inevitable, this is declared to be fatalism. If, however, it be indeed true that the advocates of indifference, self-determining power of the will, power of contrary choice, or by whatever other name the theory of contingency may be called, really do not intend to oppose the doctrine of certainty, but are simply combating fatalism or physical necessity, then the controversy is ended. What more could Leibnitz or Edwards ask than Reid concedes in the following passage:
"It must be granted, that, as whatever was, certainly was, and whatever is, certainly is, so whatever shall be, certainly shall be. These are identical propositions, and cannot be doubted by those who conceive them distinctly. But I know no rule of reasoning by which it can be inferred that because an event certainly shall be, therefore its production must be necessary. The manner of its production, whether free or necessary, cannot be concluded from the time of its production, whether it be past, present, or future. That it shall be, no more implies that it shall be necessarily than that it shall be freely produced; for neither present, past, nor future, have any more connection with necessity than they have with freedom. I grant, therefore, that from events being foreseen, it may be justly concluded, that, they are certainly future; but from their being certainly future it does not follow that they are necessary."
As all things are foreseen all things are inevitably certain as to their occurrence. This is granting all any Augustinian need demand."

—Hodge's Systematic Theology

Lee52

Nice Calvinist doctrine presentation, with some of the same misconceptions....which is closed view, not open view.
Blessings,
Lee

A second argument on this subject is derived from those doctrines of Scripture which necessarily suppose that free acts may be certain as to their occurrence.
1. The first and most obvious of these doctrines is the foreknowledge of God. Whatever metaphysical explanation may be given of this divine attribute; however we may ignore the distinction between knowledge and foreknowledge, or however we may contend that because God inhabits eternity, and is in no wise subject to the limitations of time, and that to Him nothing is successive, still the fact remains that we exist in time, and that to us there is a future as well as a present. It remains, therefore, a fact that human acts are known before they occur in time, and consequently are foreknown. But if foreknown as future, they must be certain; not because foreknowledge renders their occurrence certain, but because it supposes it to be so. It is a contradiction in terms to say that an uncertain event can be foreknown as certain. To deny foreknowledge to God, to say that free acts, because necessarily uncertain as to their occurrence, are not the objects of foreknowledge any more than sounds are the objects of sight, or mathematical truths of the affections, is to destroy the very idea of God. The future must be as dark to Him as to us; and He must every moment be receiving vast accessions of knowledge. He cannot be an eternal being, pervading all duration with a simultaneous existence, much less an omniscient Being, to whom there is nothing new. It is impossible, therefore, to believe in God as He is revealed in the Bible, unless we believe that all things are known unto Him from the beginning. But if all things are known, all things, whether fortuitous or free, are certain; consequently certainty must be consistent with freedom. We are not more assured of our existence than we are of our free agency. To say that this is a delusion is to deny the veracity of consciousness, which of necessity not only involves a denial of the veracity of God, but also subverts the foundation of all knowledge, and plunges us into absolute scepticism. We may just as well say that our existence is a delusion as that any other fact of consciousness is delusive. We have no more and no higher evidence for one such fact than for another. Men may speculate as they please, they must believe and act according to the laws impressed on our nature by our Creator. We must believe, therefore, in our existence and in our free agency; and as by a necessity scarcely less imperative we must believe that all things are known to God from eternity, and that if foreknown their occurrence is certain, we cannot deny that certainty is consistent with free agency without involving ourselves in palpable contradictions. This argument is so conclusive that most theistical advocates of the doctrine of contingency, when they come to deal with it, give the matter up, and acknowledge that an act may be certain as to its occurrence and yet free. They content themselves for the time being with denying that it is necessary, although it may be certain. But they forget that by "moral necessity" nothing more than certainty is intended, and that certainty is precisely the thing which, on other occasions, they affirm to be contrary to liberty. If from all eternity it is fixed how every man will act; if the same consequences follow invariably from the same antecedents; if the acts of men are inevitable, this is declared to be fatalism. If, however, it be indeed true that the advocates of indifference, self-determining power of the will, power of contrary choice, or by whatever other name the theory of contingency may be called, really do not intend to oppose the doctrine of certainty, but are simply combating fatalism or physical necessity, then the controversy is ended. What more could Leibnitz or Edwards ask than Reid concedes in the following passage:
"It must be granted, that, as whatever was, certainly was, and whatever is, certainly is, so whatever shall be, certainly shall be. These are identical propositions, and cannot be doubted by those who conceive them distinctly. But I know no rule of reasoning by which it can be inferred that because an event certainly shall be, therefore its production must be necessary. The manner of its production, whether free or necessary, cannot be concluded from the time of its production, whether it be past, present, or future. That it shall be, no more implies that it shall be necessarily than that it shall be freely produced; for neither present, past, nor future, have any more connection with necessity than they have with freedom. I grant, therefore, that from events being foreseen, it may be justly concluded, that, they are certainly future; but from their being certainly future it does not follow that they are necessary."
As all things are foreseen all things are inevitably certain as to their occurrence. This is granting all any Augustinian need demand."

lesjude

Hello, this is Judy of Lesjude...Les went home to be with Jesus 5/24/2013.)He died exactly the way he lived, worshipping Jesus,passionate for God's and loving people. Leslie and I knew each other for 50 years, were married almost 47, have seven adult children that he trained to do two things, not to let anyone do their thinking for them and to seek God with all their hearts. We walked together in one accord with Jesus for 35 years. Les was a remarkable man and would tell you that all he did or knew was due to the amazing grace of God almighty demonstrated by the mighty Holy Ghost through the wonder filled cross of Jesus Christ. Just before Les closed his physical eyes for the last time he raised his hands and said" Thank You, Jesus!" Turned to me and said, Don't you quit! " This occurred after he had been dead an hour and come back to be with us for an hour! I told you he had a remarkable life! And he dearly served our sovereign , holy, loving, just God...thank you , Judy Flinn

oatmeal

Romans 8:28-30
New King James Version (NKJV)
28 And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose. 29 For whom He foreknew, He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son, that He might be the firstborn among many brethren. 30 Moreover whom He predestined, these He also called; whom He called, these He also justified; and whom He justified, these He also glorified.
These terms are little understood. One reason is Calvin's teaching on the subject is often confused with the false teachings of hyper-Calvinism.
Here is predestination summarized: Ephesians 1:4
4 just as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before Him in love,
The believer was elected before he was even born or the world was made.
Ephesians 1:5
5 having predestined us to adoption as sons by Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the good pleasure of His will,
The following verse is predestination which is God's SOVEREIGN eternal plan by which He foreordained all things to come to pass.
Ephesians 1:11
11 In Him also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestined according to the purpose of Him who works all things according to the counsel of His will,
This plan is UNCONDITIONAL. meaning he consulted no one. He did as He wanted. He planned EVERYTHING,AND he knew the outcome, because He predestined all events that come to pass.
Now here is where people miss it. This eternal, before the earth was formed, sovereign plan INCLUDED MAN'S FREE WILL CHOICES AND ACTIONS! Example: Joseph's brothers made a free will choice to sell him into slavery, but:
Genesis 50:20
20 But as for you, you meant evil against me; but God meant it for good, in order to bring it about as it is this day, to save many people alive.
Another example: Isaiah 10:5-12
5 “ Woe to Assyria, the rod of My anger
And the staff in whose hand is My indignation.
6 I will send him against an ungodly nation,
And against the people of My wrath
I will give him charge,
To seize the spoil, to take the prey,
And to tread them down like the mire of the streets.
7 Yet he does not mean so,
Nor does his heart think so;
But it is in his heart to destroy,
And cut off not a few nations.
8 For he says,

‘ Are not my princes altogether kings?
9 Is not Calno like Carchemish?
Is not Hamath like Arpad?
Is not Samaria like Damascus?
10 As my hand has found the kingdoms of the idols,
Whose carved images excelled those of Jerusalem and Samaria,
11 As I have done to Samaria and her idols,
Shall I not do also to Jerusalem and her idols?’”

12 Therefore it shall come to pass, when the Lord has performed all His work on Mount Zion and on Jerusalem, that He will say, “I will punish the fruit of the arrogant heart of the king of Assyria, and the glory of his haughty looks.”
Assyria did what was in their heart by a free will choice. However they were fulfilling God's eternal plan. Predestination.
ANOTHER EXAMPLE
Acts 2:22-23
22 “Men of Israel, hear these words: Jesus of Nazareth, a Man attested by God to you by miracles, wonders, and signs which God did through Him in your midst, as you yourselves also know— 23 Him, being delivered by the determined purpose and foreknowledge of God, you have taken[a] by lawless hands, have crucified, and put to death; This was predestined but clearly a free will choice. From mans side he makes a free will choice because these free will choices have been predestined.
Acts 4:27-28
27 “For truly against Your holy Servant Jesus, whom You anointed, both Herod and Pontius Pilate, with the Gentiles and the people of Israel, were gathered together 28 to do whatever Your hand and Your purpose determined before to be done.
The free will choice is also true in the matter of redemption. God predestined and elected those who would believe as part of the eternal plan before the world began as we have seen already. Here is the scripture:
2 Thessalonians 2:13-14
13 But we are bound to give thanks to God always for you, brethren beloved by the Lord, because God from the beginning chose you for salvation through sanctification by the Spirit and belief in the truth, 14 to which He called you by our gospel, for the obtaining of the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ.
You see here the eternal predestined plan and the free will response of His elect chosen before the foundation of the earth. They were elect but must respond to the gospel by their free will.
It is VERY important that one sees that God's eternal plan had to be unconditional. If any part of the plan was conditioned on what man might or might not do the whole plan would be conditional and uncertain. God is sovereign and not dependent on what man or the devil might do. Jesus was predetermined to be betrayed by Judas. Judas was held accountable because he made the free will choice to do it.
God has foreknowledge or perfect knowledge and certainty of all events. Acts 15:18
18 “Known to God from eternity are all His works.[a]
NOTHING takes God by surprise!
Election is the sovereign choice of His people before the foundation of the world. He says they will be effectually called, justified, and glorified because it was predestined. See Romans 8:29-30.
Election is NOT God foreseeing who would believe by looking down history and saving those who believe. This would be works and not grace.
2 Timothy 1:9
9 who has saved us and called us with a holy calling, not according to our works, but according to His own purpose and grace which was given to us in Christ Jesus before time began,
Does this all mean that it is fatalism which is what Hyper-Calvinism believes?
NO! We are to pray, evangelize, teach, preach because this is what God has predestined us to do. We do not know who is or is not elect or how prayers will effect events in advance. The elect have to hear the gospel and respond which they will do by a preordained free will choice. The lost hear the general call and reject it by their own free will. Here it is in Jesus' words: John 6:64-65

64 But there are some of you who do not believe.” For Jesus knew from the beginning who they were who did not believe, and who would betray Him. 65 And He said, “Therefore I have said to you that no one can come to Me unless it has been granted to him by My Father.” THESE WERE HIS DISCIPLES! HE HAD TAUGHT THEM JUST LIKE THE REST OF HIS DISCIPLES.
John 5:39-40
39 You search the Scriptures, for in them you think you have eternal life; and these are they which testify of Me. 40 But you are not willing to come to Me that you may have life.
Why does God give a general call by the preaching of the gospel or by Romans 1:18-22 and people's conscience? So they will be responsible for their free will choice.

What about 'fairness' in all of this? Here is what the Bible says:
Romans 9:12-26
12 it was said to her, “The older shall serve the younger.”[a] 13 As it is written, “Jacob I have loved, but Esau I have hated.”
14 What shall we say then? Is there unrighteousness with God? Certainly not! 15 For He says to Moses, “I will have mercy on whomever I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whomever I will have compassion.”[c] 16 So then it is not of him who wills, nor of him who runs, but of God who shows mercy. 17 For the Scripture says to the Pharaoh, “For this very purpose I have raised you up, that I may show My power in you, and that My name may be declared in all the earth.”[d] 18 Therefore He has mercy on whom He wills, and whom He wills He hardens.
19 You will say to me then, “Why does He still find fault? For who has resisted His will?” 20 But indeed, O man, who are you to reply against God? Will the thing formed say to him who formed it, “Why have you made me like this?” 21 Does not the potter have power over the clay, from the same lump to make one vessel for honor and another for dishonor?
22 What if God, wanting to show His wrath and to make His power known, endured with much longsuffering the vessels of wrath prepared for destruction, 23 and that He might make known the riches of His glory on the vessels of mercy, which He had prepared beforehand for glory, 24 even us whom He called, not of the Jews only, but also of the Gentiles?
25 As He says also in Hosea:

“ I will call them My people, who were not My people,
And her beloved, who was not beloved.”[e]
26 “ And it shall come to pass in the place where it was said to them,

‘ You are not My people,’
There they shall be called sons of the living God.”[
If God is not sovereign He is not God. He is perfectly fair and just in ALL that He does, which includes predestination and election.
Here is what John Calvin taught in a brief summary and is essentially in line with scripture.1. Man is totally lost in sin and cannot choose salvation apart from grace. 2. Unconditional election: God chooses who He will. 3. Limited atonement: Christ died savingly for the elect. 4. Irresistible (effective) grace: God's grace produces the effect for which it was intended. 5. Perseverance of the saints. All those God calls and saves will endure to the end. (This is not once saved always saved because salvation is a walk (enduring) not just receiving Jesus, getting baptized, and joining a 'church'.) Please know that the next breath, for both the saved and unsaved, is dependent upon God's grace!
Hyper-Calvinism has perverted Calvin's teaching into fatalism which results in no evangelism, little prayer or intercession, and carelessness of living for Jesus.

There is no free will if all has been predetermined.

As you pointed out, God has foreknowledge.

Knowledge of the future.

If you have knowledge of the future you can make choices based on that knowledge, if you wise, which God is.

God chose based on His foreknowledge. He foreknew who would exercise their free will to choose to believe and who would not.

He, foreknowing who would choose to believe, chose, predestinated/marked out beforehand, those believers.

He chooses/chose those who choose to believe.

Foreknowledge precedes predestination/marking out beforehand.

oatmeal

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber

1. The first and most obvious of these doctrines is the foreknowledge of God. Whatever metaphysical explanation may be given of this divine attribute; however we may ignore the distinction between knowledge and foreknowledge, or however we may contend that because God inhabits eternity, and is in no wise subject to the limitations of time, and that to Him nothing is successive, still the fact remains that we exist in time, and that to us there is a future as well as a present. It remains, therefore, a fact that human acts are known before they occur in time, and consequently are foreknown. But if foreknown as future, they must be certain; not because foreknowledge renders their occurrence certain, but because it supposes it to be so. It is a contradiction in terms to say that an uncertain event can be foreknown as certain. To deny foreknowledge to God, to say that free acts, because necessarily uncertain as to their occurrence, are not the objects of foreknowledge any more than sounds are the objects of sight, or mathematical truths of the affections, is to destroy the very idea of God. The future must be as dark to Him as to us; and He must every moment be receiving vast accessions of knowledge. He cannot be an eternal being, pervading all duration with a simultaneous existence, much less an omniscient Being, to whom there is nothing new. It is impossible, therefore, to believe in God as He is revealed in the Bible, unless we believe that all things are known unto Him from the beginning. But if all things are known, all things, whether fortuitous or free, are certain; consequently certainty must be consistent with freedom. We are not more assured of our existence than we are of our free agency. To say that this is a delusion is to deny the veracity of consciousness, which of necessity not only involves a denial of the veracity of God, but also subverts the foundation of all knowledge, and plunges us into absolute scepticism. We may just as well say that our existence is a delusion as that any other fact of consciousness is delusive. We have no more and no higher evidence for one such fact than for another. Men may speculate as they please, they must believe and act according to the laws impressed on our nature by our Creator. We must believe, therefore, in our existence and in our free agency; and as by a necessity scarcely less imperative we must believe that all things are known to God from eternity, and that if foreknown their occurrence is certain, we cannot deny that certainty is consistent with free agency without involving ourselves in palpable contradictions. This argument is so conclusive that most theistical advocates of the doctrine of contingency, when they come to deal with it, give the matter up, and acknowledge that an act may be certain as to its occurrence and yet free. They content themselves for the time being with denying that it is necessary, although it may be certain. But they forget that by "moral necessity" nothing more than certainty is intended, and that certainty is precisely the thing which, on other occasions, they affirm to be contrary to liberty. If from all eternity it is *fixed* how every man will act; if the same consequences follow invariably from the same antecedents; if the acts of men are inevitable, this is declared to be fatalism. If, however, it be indeed true that the advocates of indifference, self-determining power of the will, power of contrary choice, or by whatever other name the theory of contingency may be called, really do not intend to oppose the doctrine of certainty, but are simply combating fatalism or physical necessity, then the controversy is ended. What more could Leibnitz or Edwards ask than Reid concedes in the following passage:

There is a little word in all of this, the word "fixed" this word has connotations of which I disapprove if fixed here means that God fixed it so. God foreknew certainly but with regards to sin He did not fix it, that is to say He did not plan it or predestine it so. Foreknowledge and the certainty of man's fall is every bit as much a fact without that God should have planned it.

In foreknowing that man would fall God predestined and preplanned His creation first to manage and contain sin once it had been committed and secondly to redeem man back to Himself out of it.

We must be very careful not to make God in any way the agent of sin.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
Hello, this is Judy of Lesjude...Les went home to be with Jesus 5/24/2013.)He died exactly the way he lived, worshipping Jesus,passionate for God's and loving people. Leslie and I knew each other for 50 years, were married almost 47, have seven adult children that he trained to do two things, not to let anyone do their thinking for them and to seek God with all their hearts. We walked together in one accord with Jesus for 35 years. Les was a remarkable man and would tell you that all he did or knew was due to the amazing grace of God almighty demonstrated by the mighty Holy Ghost through the wonder filled cross of Jesus Christ. Just before Les closed his physical eyes for the last time he raised his hands and said" Thank You, Jesus!" Turned to me and said, Don't you quit! " This occurred after he had been dead an hour and come back to be with us for an hour! I told you he had a remarkable life! And he dearly served our sovereign , holy, loving, just God...thank you , Judy Flinn

Thank you for your testimony and praise God for the testimony of your belovéd....."all by grace was his testimony"