Pope allows forgiveness for abortions...

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
trad - how come the pope is willing to forgive the sin of murder when it comes to pregnant women, but not sicilian mafioso?

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
trad - how come the pope is willing to forgive the sin of murder when it comes to pregnant women, but not sicilian mafioso?

Both can be forgiven. In fact, as far as I am aware, murder as such doesn't carry the penalty of excommunication latae sententiae. Under ordinary circumstances, it's not, as far as I'm aware, necessary to go to the bishop to receive pardon and for the ecclesiastic penalties to be lifted. The parish priest can absolve the penitent of murder with no special permissions.

The penalties for abortion are actually heavier.

Note, however, my previous comments. Every sin can be forgiven so long as the penitent still draws breath and he's sorry for his sins.

Cedarbay

The only reason you would have difficulty with this is because you don't understand it.

Why don't you familiarize yourself with how to pray the Rosary?

Gloria patri et filio at spiritui sancto. Sicut in principio et nunc et in saecula saeculorum. Amen.
With respect to you, I would not contemplate for a second, to pray the rosary.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Both can be forgiven. In fact, as far as I am aware, murder as such doesn't carry the penalty of excommunication latae sententiae. Under ordinary circumstances, it's not, as far as I'm aware, necessary to go to the bishop to receive pardon and for the ecclesiastic penalties to be lifted. The parish priest can absolve the penitent of murder with no special permissions.

The penalties for abortion are actually heavier.

Note, however, my previous comments. Every sin can be forgiven so long as the penitent still draws breath and he's sorry for his sins.

seems to me that earlier this summer the pope excommunicated the sicilian mafia en masse

can't search the way I want - crappy ipad

:think:

seems to me there's a haiku in there...

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
seems to me that earlier this summer the pope excommunicated the sicilian mafia en masse

can't search the way I want - crappy ipad

:think:

seems to me there's a haiku in there...

Ah. I googled it. Yes, even they can be forgiven. All they have to do is to resolve to stop being in the mafia (and any other mortal sins they may be committing) and seek absolution and the lifting of these sanctions from the pope (or whoever canon law indicates is competent to do so).

Excommunication shouldn't be seen as an act opposed to mercy. It's a very powerful prompt for the excommunicated party to amend his life.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
are mothers who have murdered their children held to the same standard?

They must be sorry for their sins, resolve to sin no more, and seek absolution and lifting of church sanctions from the competent ecclesiastical officials.

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
are mothers who have murdered their children held to the same standard?

Good question. For that matter, what about fathers?

I don't like abortion, but I also don't believe that abortion is murder. I don't believe that so-called "pro-lifers" really think that abortion is murder either. Here's why I say that: If you (anyone) knew that a murder was about to take place, you would probably do everything in your power to stop it, including using lethal force. But most anti-choice don't lift a finger and the few who do use lethal force are regarded by the rest as psychopaths (e.g., James Kopp).

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
I know it quite well and now decline it as a way of salvation, pardoning of sin, power over evil, way to Christ, etc.

Adlibet. If you want to do more research on what the rosary is and how Catholics pray it, I've given you a link. :idunno:

At any rate, if you want to dissuade me or anyone else from praying the rosary, you'll have to tell me the following:

1. It is not good to contemplate the life, passion and glory of Jesus.
2. It is not good to pray to Jesus.
3. It is not good to praise the Most Blessed Trinity.
4. It is not good to ask Jesus for mercy, pardon and salvation.
5. That Jesus has not promised to answer our prayers.

I could go on, but pray tell, which of these do you affirm?

Cedarbay

Adlibet. If you want to do more research on what the rosary is and how Catholics pray it, I've given you a link. :idunno:

At any rate, if you want to dissuade me or anyone else from praying the rosary, you'll have to tell me the following:

1. It is not good to contemplate the life, passion and glory of Jesus.
2. It is not good to pray to Jesus.
3. It is not good to praise the Most Blessed Trinity.
4. It is not good to ask Jesus for mercy, pardon and salvation.
5. That Jesus has not promised to answer our prayers.

I could go on, but pray tell, which of these do you affirm?

Oh come now, Traditio, I can hardly concentrate on our Lord, and Scripture during prayer, and much less while praying a Hail Mary as well.

What do you see as the sense of saying the Hail Mary over and over? Then a few seconds on the life of Christ, and then back to 10 Hail Mary's....

This is why I reject it.

Cedarbay

I could somewhat understand repeating the Our Father or Apostle's Creed many times for meditation.

I still pray the Glory Be. The Magnificat from Scripture is Mary's true heart toward God.

Sorry to be way off topic.

Cedarbay

Anyone who has had an abortion has sinned. This sin has taken the life of another. The consequences of this sin are deep and abiding. If you believe you are a sinner, in need of a Savior, pray for faith to believe in Jesus Christ, and for His grace to forgive you.

Those who suffer from the effects of abortion are in our prayers. This includes the child's mother and father, grandparents, family and friends.