Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
No, Pettrix, I don't! Believers are deluged with the grace passages all the time! To suspect that this single article by a pastor most people have never heard of before is going to overwhelm the nearly ubiquitous "be nice to everyone" message that most Christians get every Sunday from their home pulpits is just a little crazy. The article is intended to provoke someone to question the teaching they are getting from every conceivable direction, not to replace the Bible or to serve as anything that could even remotely be considered an exhaustive or even thorough study on the subject of how Christians should handle their personal interactions. It simply is presenting the other side of the coin, sort of speak; the Biblical information that people aren't getting from mainstream Christian teachers and that's all it was intended for.

And, in addition to all of that, even if there are certain individuals who read that article and take it as permission to go and start slugging people over the head with their Bibles, going completely overboard and just judging the pants off of everyone they can find any fault with whatsoever, then I say, and this is my own personal opinion, that such a person is better off than is the person who is nice to the murder, the adulterer, the rapist and the child molester. I'd much rather a person be too salty than not salty at all.

Further, your main argument is that immature Christians should not judge. I disagree. They should judge. To get good at something like discerning right from wrong takes practice. Immature Christian will makes mistakes to be sure, but who doesn't? They will hurt someone's feelings unnecessarily, but who doesn't? They will even do things that some might use as excuse to reject Christ, but who doesn't? The point is that they will learn from their mistakes and I'd rather someone cause someone to perish by having tried to to the right thing and failed than for them to have caused someone to perish by having successfully sat on their hands and done nothing. Of course the ideal would be for them not to have caused anyone to perish but we don't live in a perfect world nor are we perfect. The mainstream Christian teaching about judging has removed us from the game. We are being defeated by our own lack of action and as Bob Enyart likes to point out, when good people do nothing, Satan gets to take a vacation.

Resting in Him,
Clete

If this isn't "Post of the Year" material, I don't know what is.

Well said, Clete.

Context

Status
Not open for further replies.