Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I don't mean to be flippant in saying "Post of the year". I truly mean it. I realize that the year is a quite a ways from being over but I'll take my chances in choosing it now because I can't imagine that there could be a better choice.

Originally posted by cattyfan

I'm a late comer to this thread today.

First, thank you for the warning. I was the one who originally requested it (before the lengthy discussion by some other posters) because I became very literally physically ill when yesterday I unexpectedly came across a graphic photo. I appreciate the warning. With the chance to brace myself, I went ahead and read all of the posts from page one.

Secondly, many of you know when I originally came to TOL, I was adamantly and loudly pro-choice. I was badgered, challenged, questioned, threatened, called names, and sent notes. But it was the quiet voices which caught my attention. And it was because of those gentle, thoughtful messages I began to examine my beliefs. I prayed, contemplated, read Bible passages, looked at pictures of my nieces and nephews. I researched, read, and prayed some more.

Then I received the following note:

abortion change of heart

Hi :cattyfan: .

I was wondering about something... I don't mean to pry or anything, but I remember last fall when you were new to TOL you made some posts saying that you supported keeping abortion legal. Then a few months later I read that you had had a change of heart and that you are now against legalized abortion.

(Correct me if I'm mistaken.)

What role, if any, the discussion(s) on TOL played in your change of heart. And if they did play a role, to what extent?

The reason I ask is that I often see debates on TOL that go like this:

Christian: This (law/situation/school curriculum/court's decision/common perception/whatever) is terrible! We've got to stop this!

Scoffer: Then get out there and DO something about it instead of whining about it on the internet.

The way I see it, "whining about it on the internet" IS doing something about it. This is, after all, a public forum set up to facilitate debate. And the people who are here, whether they post or just read, know that and are here of their own volition. And every now and then, someone changes their heart and mind about something based on the discussions here.

For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places. Ephesians 6:12

Thanks for your time,
:turbo:

This is how I responded:

to be honest, Turbo, the discussions on TOL have caused me to question my support of legalized abortion. I am not fully turned, but I am having serious second thoughts about many of the things I've said here and other places.

Part of it has been the gentle words of people like ebenz and Nineveh and others like them...part of it has been the cold words of posters classifying "fetuses" as non-people, when I know from seeing 2 of my nephews born at 5 and 1/2 months and being fully formed little beings that they are, indeed, people. And part of it has been the blatant ignorance of some of the posters in the pro-choice camp.

When I was in college, I was militantly pro-choice. I went to a very liberal school, and that was the accepted viewpoint. Since then, I hadn't been challenged on my beliefs (I'm 37 now), and, because of that, I hadn't examined why I held those ideas. The debate on TOL has forced me to seriously take a look at what I think and why, and, frankly, I didn't like my reasons. They don't seem as sound now, or even, in some cases, logical.

The debates here have caused me to take a closer look at who I was and who I would like to be. Without these discussions, where we get to remain anonymous while learning, I'm not sure I could have reached this point. I still have trouble with the topic, knowing pregnancy would kill me (kidney problems,) but to look at the subject from an objective point of view, I can't say I honestly support abortion…and even personally, knowing pregnancy is death for me, I don't believe I could really terminate. (That's something I've never told anyone, but always felt.)

by the way, Sozo's vitriole did not help...in fact he hindered the process. When faced with that kind of anger, I, like so many, dig my heals in. It's the soft voices, that helped me think.

1 Kings 19:12-13 "...And after the fire came a gentle whisper. When Elijah heard it, he pulled his cloak over his face and went out and stood at the mouth of the cave."

Job 26:14 "and these are but the outer fringe of his works. how faint the whisper we hear of Him! Who then can understand the thunder of His power?"

I hope this answered your question...you're always welcome to ask me anything. I'll try to answer as honestly as I can.

Kindest Regards,

cattyfan

I should have given some credit to Sozo, as it was his anger towards me which originally got my attention.

The pictures on this thread made me sob. The easy dismissal of those same photos by some posters made me sob harder. My time here at TOL has forever changed me, and I am no longer pro-choice. I may be stubborn…but I’m not stupid. Those pictures clearly show children whose lives were ended by unnatural means. That’s murder.

:cattyfan

context

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Knight

And every now and then.... I am reminded why the effort in keeping TOL afloat is all worth it!
Thank you Knight for all your efforts you put in to this place. I, for one, take it for granted sometimes. I realize it can be a headache, now and then, making sure everything is running smoothly. I'm just thankful it's a place that I get to experience reading a testimony like Catty's. TOL's just a cut above.

(Ok, I'm starting to think that Poly's had her quota of mushy stuff for a while.)

Aimiel

Thank God for CattyFan, Poly, and TOL. What a great, rich and powerful God we serve. OK, now I'm getting my keyboard wet. Thanks CattyFan!!! Good pick, Poly. :thumb:

Lucky

Hall of Fame
This deserves a bump. Definitely worthy of Post of the Year.

Too bad Poly already called it. Doh!

Sozo

Anyone else notice that Poly has been missing since about the same time that Martha started serving her sentence?

:think:

Servo

Formerly Shimei!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Very cool thread. My wife and I have been picketing in front of Planned Parenthood every week for almost four years. Hearing things like this keeps us going.

elected4ever

Here I was, thinking I was such a great poster. I was sure put in my place when I read that post. How can anyone top that. Its not easy overcoming years of indoctrination and harder yet to let ones wrongs be aired in such honesty. I tip my hat to you CattyFan.:e4e:

Frank Ernest

Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Sozo

Anyone else notice that Poly has been missing since about the same time that Martha started serving her sentence?

:darwinsm: Now, now!

Excellent pick and I like the :poly: smilie.

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Sozo

HA!

Nah, I've just been really busy lately working out in the "yard".

I thought I might post a new recipe over at Nori's place. Mushroom chicken stuffed with a creamy sharp file...er fillet sauce. Feel free to try it out.....

then send it to me
c/o "Killer Lagowsky". :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.