Ph.D in Pot & the G.H.W. Bush Legacy

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
You're the only one conflating recreational pot smoking when I posted an article...about oil...that treats seizures.

Nope. I've been very clear about what is going on.

Potheads will use any story to justify their addiction. Show us the peer-reviewed papers on smoking pot being a medical help.

I showed you that your own courts and medical providers are explicit: Pot is not medicine.

Learn to engage sensibly. :up:

WizardofOz

Nope. I've been very clear about what is going on.

Potheads will use any story to justify their addiction. Show us the peer-reviewed papers on smoking pot being a medical help.

I showed you that your own courts and medical providers are explicit: Pot is not medicine.

Learn to engage sensibly. :up:
:noid:
So, you don't want to comment on the actual article I posted.

Fair enough...

WizardofOz

Lots of peer reviewed studies are referenced here

Evidence is accumulating that cannabinoids may be useful medicine for certain indications. Control of nausea and vomiting and the promotion of weight gain in chronic inanition are already licensed uses of oral THC (dronabinol capsules). Recent research indicates that cannabis may also be effective in the treatment of painful peripheral neuropathy and muscle spasticity from conditions such as multiple sclerosis [58]. Other indications have been proposed, but adequate clinical trials have not been conducted. As these therapeutic potentials are confirmed, it will be useful if marijuana and its constituents can be prescribed, dispensed, and regulated in a manner similar to other medications that have psychotropic effects and some abuse potential. Given that we do not know precisely which cannabinoids or in which combinations achieve the best results, larger and more representative clinical trials of the plant product are warranted. Because cannabinoids are variably and sometimes incompletely absorbed from the gut, and bioavailability is reduced by extensive first pass metabolism, such trials should include delivery systems that include smoking, vaporization, and oral mucosal spray in order to achieve predictable blood levels and appropriate titration. Advances in understanding the medical indications and limitations of cannabis in its various forms should facilitate the regulatory and legislative processes.

The classification of marijuana as a Schedule I drug as well as the continuing controversy as to whether or not cannabis is of medical value [59] are obstacles to medical progress in this area. Based on evidence currently available the Schedule I classification is not tenable; it is not accurate that cannabis has no medical value, or that information on safety is lacking. It is true cannabis has some abuse potential, but its profile more closely resembles drugs in Schedule III (where codeine and dronabinol are listed). The continuing conflict between scientific evidence and political ideology will hopefully be reconciled in a judicious manner

Smoking specifically?

Studies on Smoked Cannabis
Smoking cannabis provides rapid and efficient delivery of THC to brain. THC can be detected immediately in plasma after the first puff of a cigarette; peak concentrations occur within 10 minutes, then decrease to approximately 60% of peak by 15 minutes and 20% of peak by 30 minutes, but there can be wide inter-individual variation in concentrations achieved [3]. Rapid onset and predictable decay means that self-titration of dosing is attainable.

Chronic Pain
A series of randomized clinical trials at the University of California Center for Medicinal Cannabis Research (CMCR) investigated the short-term efficacy of smoked cannabis for neuropathic pain. Sponsored by the State of California Medical Marijuana Research Act of 1999, and conducted under the auspices of the Department of Health and Human Services, the National Institute on Drug Abuse, and the Food and Drug Administration, this research allocated participants to smoke cannabis cigarettes containing from 1% to 8% THC by weight (4 to 32 mg THC) or to placebo cannabis cigarettes from which THC had been extracted. The total daily dose of THC ranged from 4 mg to 128 mg. Two trials enrolled patients with painful HIV peripheral neuropathy [4, 5]; one consisted of mixed neuropathic pain due to peripheral or central dysfunction of the nervous system (i.e., complex regional pain syndrome, peripheral neuropathy, and traumatic focal nerve or spinal cord injury) [6]. Patients were allowed to continue their usual regimen of analgesics. Results consistently indicated that cannabis significantly reduced pain intensity, with patients reporting 34%-40% decrease on cannabis compared to 17-20% on placebo. Moreover a significantly greater proportion of individuals reported at least 30% reduction in pain on cannabis (46%-52%) compared to placebo (18%-24%) [4-6], which is relevant since 30% decrease in pain intensity is generally associated with reports of improved life quality [7]. The number needed-to-treat to achieve a 30% reduction in pain intensity was 3.5-4.5, a range achieved by standard non-opioid analgesics (i.e., noradrenergic antidepressants and anticonvulsants). Interestingly “medium” dose cannabis cigarettes (3.5% THC) were as effective as higher dose (7% THC) [6]. In this same vein, a fourth trial employing an experimental model of neuropathic pain (intradermal injection of capsaicin) in healthy volunteers suggested that there may be a “therapeutic window” or optimal dose for smoked cannabis: low dose cigarettes (2% THC) had no analgesic effect, high dose (8%) was associated with reports of significant pain increase, and medium dose cannabis cigarettes (4% THC) provided significant analgesia [8]. Separately, another recent placebo-controlled, cross-over study of neuropathic pain due to surgery or injury examined the effect of 25 mg doses of smoked cannabis at various potencies (2.5%, 6%, and 9.4% THC by weight), administered three times daily for 14 days [9]. Results suggested that although lower potency dosing was ineffective, 9.4% THC produced modest but significant analgesic effects compared to placebo, in a sample selected for failure to respond to conventional therapy.

Smoked medicinal cannabis for neuropathic pain in HIV: a randomized, crossover clinical trial.

Among the completers, pain relief was greater with cannabis than placebo (median difference in DDS pain intensity change, 3.3 points, effect size=0.60; p=0.016). The proportions of subjects achieving at least 30% pain relief with cannabis versus placebo were 0.46 (95%CI 0.28, 0.65) and 0.18 (0.03, 0.32). Mood and daily functioning improved to a similar extent during both treatment periods. Although most side effects were mild and self-limited, two subjects experienced treatment-limiting toxicities. Smoked cannabis was generally well tolerated and effective when added to concomitant analgesic therapy in patients with medically refractory pain due to HIV DSPN.

:noway:

Show us the peer-reviewed papers on smoking pot being a medical help.

Done. It took all of ten minutes.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
:troll:

Go troll someone else. I posted an article about oils and you can stop talking about smoking...which had NOTHING to do with the article I posted.

Read much? :nono:

:wave:
Read OP.

I'm right on topic. Potheads will use anything to justify their desire to get stoned.

WizardofOz

Read OP.

I'm right on topic. Potheads will use anything to justify their desire to get stoned.

And this thread is now on its 25th page. Try to keep up with the ebbs and flows of the conversation. :thumb:

Or, if you've got a lot of free time on your hands, keep repeating the same thing over and over as if you're offering something of value to the conversation.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Done. It took all of ten minutes.
We notice that you ran away from your seizures story. There's a reason I asked about that one. That could be a legitimate use of a bone fide treatment. That smoking pot numbs the mind is unargued.

WizardofOz

Effect of cannabinoids on spasticity and ataxia in multiple sclerosis

Abstract
The chronic motor handicaps of a 30-year-old multiple sclerosis patient acutely improved while he smoked a marihuana cigarette. This effect was quantitatively assessed by means of clinical rating, electromyographic investigation of the leg flexor reflexes and electromagnetic recording of the hand action tremor. It is concluded that cannabinoids may have powerful beneficial effects on both spasticity and ataxia that warrant further evaluation.

WizardofOz

We notice that you ran away from your seizures story. There's a reason I asked about that one. That could be a legitimate use of a bone fide treatment. That smoking pot numbs the mind is unargued.
:hammer:
First of all, who is we? :idunno: Strange.

You never even addressed the 'seizure story'. You then asked for "peer-reviewed papers on smoking pot being a medical help" so I found some for you.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Effect of cannabinoids on spasticity and ataxia in multiple sclerosis

Abstract
The chronic motor handicaps of a 30-year-old multiple sclerosis patient acutely improved while he smoked a marihuana cigarette. This effect was quantitatively assessed by means of clinical rating, electromyographic investigation of the leg flexor reflexes and electromagnetic recording of the hand action tremor. It is concluded that cannabinoids may have powerful beneficial effects on both spasticity and ataxia that warrant further evaluation.

Right. There might be legitimate uses for the plant.

However, potheads use these things as a justification for their addiction. I am opposed to decriminalization unless the law is changed to remove the possibility that lawyers can use pot use as a reason for reduced sentences.

The medical discussion is rather irrelevant — except to give potheads something to wail about.

drbrumley

Right. There might be legitimate uses for the plant.

I am opposed to decriminalization unless the law is changed to remove the possibility that lawyers can use pot use as a reason for reduced sentences.

Um, lawyers can't use any drug use to reduce sentences. Maybe where you live but not in this country.

So that's a rather weak argument from someone who I thought was stronger than this.

drbrumley

if a person is taking medication under a doctor's orders, medication that has possible side effects, a judge wouldn't be apt to take that into account as a mitigating factor?

That isn't what he is saying or asking is it? He is saying recreational use yes? Like alcohol, recreational use...there are people in prison now for that same scenario...

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
That isn't what he is saying or asking is it? He is saying recreational use yes? Like alcohol, recreational use...there are people in prison now for that same scenario...

i think you're right - kinda hard to keep track :dizzy:

... the possibility that lawyers can use pot use as a reason for reduced sentences.

what sort of crime did you have in mind stripe?

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Um, lawyers can't use any drug use to reduce sentences. Maybe where you live but not in this country.
Really?

You don't think a lawyer would argue that impaired senses were a mitigating factor in a crime?

So that's a rather weak argument from someone who I thought was stronger than this.

Well, before we go comparing my relative "strength," let's find out if lawyers would really not use such tactics.