Pet Peeves

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a fast thinker (sometimes a deep thinker) but almost always a slow talker. As a result my pauses between sentences may be slightly longer than normal. Further, I am constantly getting interupted and what I've said ignored. This has made me a good listener, but it's still frustrating when people don't let me finish my thought, or sometimes finish my thoughts for me and take the credit.

What are your pet peeves? The subject is wide open.

Buzzword

Spelling and grammar.
Even as I understand that prescriptive rules for both are pretty much unnecessary, as long as the desired meaning is successfully conveyed.

Also, the use of any kind of conversation filler ("like," "you know," etc.). It's amazing how much more intelligent a person can seem just from speaking slowly and continuously, letting the brain decide what to say before the mouth can spew anything out.
Conversely, the presence of filler just screams "I HAVE TO KEEP SPEAKING NO MATTER WHAT!"

Spelling and grammar.
Even as I understand that prescriptive rules for both are pretty much unnecessary, as long as the desired meaning is successfully conveyed.

Also, the use of any kind of conversation filler ("like," "you know," etc.). It's amazing how much more intelligent a person can seem just from speaking slowly and continuously, letting the brain decide what to say before the mouth can spew anything out.
Conversely, the presence of filler just screams "I HAVE TO KEEP SPEAKING NO MATTER WHAT!"
Very good. I just heard a woman manager start a new sentence with ummmmmmmm ... Nothing followed. It just hung in the air with no follow-up.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Slow talkers are my pet peeve. Not those who speak slowly, but those who say something, and then stop in mid-sentence.

I shut them out after a while. My brain is screaming. "Wait until you know what you want to say, and then say it!"

Truster

What's........................... wrong......................... with..................... talking....................... slowly?

rainee

I am a fast thinker (sometimes a deep thinker) but almost always a slow talker. As a result my pauses between sentences may be slightly longer than normal. Further, I am constantly getting interupted and what I've said ignored. This has made me a good listener, but it's still frustrating when people don't let me finish my thought, or sometimes finish my thoughts for me and take the credit.

What are your pet peeves? The subject is wide open.

Sigh. Did my Dad tell you to write those things?
Because if he did - this is one of my pet peeves - for people to go behind my back and not tell me!! :mmph:
So please tell him I am trying not do any of those things, and I want to hear the finish, I do really.

Sigh. Did my Dad tell you to write those things?
Because if he did - this is one of my pet peeves - for people to go behind my back and not tell me!! :mmph:
So please tell him I am trying not do any of those things, and I want to hear the finish, I do really.
I guess that's why I enjoy writing on forums -- I get to finish my thoughts. My wife is always interupting me sometimes saying I thought you were finished. Well if she was truly listening to what I was saying instead of planning what she is going to say herself, we'd actually have a conversation. But she has many other admirable qualities that far outweigh "my problem".

I'll tell your dad you got the message but don't ever go behind your back again. Rainee don't like that. :nono:

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
just a few

just saying
long posts
software posts
parroting bible verses
neg reps
it depends on your definition of
stupid thread titles like:
-You Really Need To Know
-All Mixed Together
-Every Christian Should Read This
-HAVE YOU ALL NOTICED THIS ??
-just a question

The Berean

Spelling and grammar.

Wut r u talkin' 'bout, Willis? U no dat, like, eye worked herd en scool so aye kan reed an right so that me kan present meself good. Eye iz smart.

Buzzword

Wut r u talkin' 'bout, Willis? U no dat, like, eye worked herd en scool so aye kan reed an right so that me kan present meself good. Eye iz smart.

Epic-facepalm_zps2254877e.jpg

heir

TOL Subscriber
just a few

just saying
long posts
software posts
parroting bible verses
neg reps
it depends on your definition of
stupid thread titles like:
-You Really Need To Know