Per Romans 10:9-10, what things are not required for us to receive salvation?

oatmeal

Romans 10:9-10 is very clear and simple

9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

Verse 9 tells us plainly what the two requirements we have to meet for us to receive salvation from God.

Verse gives us some background and explanation.

The two requirements or prerequisites listed in verse 9 is as follows:

1. thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus

2. shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead

It is that simple.

That takes us some effort to learn about those two truths but that effort does not earn us salvation for we know that it is a gift, not wages. But like any gift, ie, something we did not earn, we still have to do the work to receive it, Ie, maybe hold out our hands to receive it.

What are some of the things that private interpreting people like to add to the requirements that are not there?

Please feel free to add to the list below

1. Works

2. An altar or altar call

3. Emotions, crying out, blubbering about sweet Jesus

4. Declaring that we are sinners

5. Confessing sins

6. Going to church, whether a denominational or nondenominational group

7. Getting water baptized

8. Speaking in tongues

9. Receiving the Holy Spirit

10. Believing that Jesus raised himself from the dead as opposed to believing that God raised him from the dead

11. Believing in a trinity, whether you believe in one or not.

12. Reading the gospel of John

13. Confessing with your mouth out loud, or so others can hear you say it

14. Believing in Calvinism, open theism, or whatever beliefs someone else holds

15. Seeking mercy from God.

16. ______________

This about receiving salvation, this is not about putting salvation to use so that we benefit in the here and now not just to receive the gift of eternal life and then forget about it.

Ephesians 2:10

10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

It is clear that salvation, as a gift, is more than just a gift we put in a closet somewhere, unopened, collecting dust. We are to put it to use.

This thread is not about that, but the original receiving of the gift of salvation. By putting it to use we receive more.

If you wish to discuss the effects and what more we receive from putting our salvation to use, please refer to my next thread, in which I will present a few verses about that

oatmeal

Another useless activity that does not get you saved is

Accepting Jesus as your savior or some variation of that.

It is confessing with your mouth the lord Jesus, not accepting him as your savior

Bradley D

Another useless activity that does not get you saved is

Accepting Jesus as your savior or some variation of that.

It is confessing with your mouth the lord Jesus, not accepting him as your savior

What is the difference between Accepting and Confessing!

oatmeal

What is the difference between Accepting and Confessing!

Do you want a dictionary definition?

If so, do you have a dictionary?

If not, it would be a good idea to acquire one, and if someone gives you one as a gift, that you accept it.

Confessing that you have a dictionary but not using it because you do not see the benefit of it.

You apparently are serving or have served in the armed forces. I would seem that from your photo it was the Navy.

Did you accept your orders as given to you?

If a superior asked you what your orders are, did you simply say, I accepted them but I am not going to tell you what my orders are, how will that work for you?

You might end up getting demoted for insubordination.

What is the difference between a savior and a lord?

If you fell off your ship into the ocean and if the lowest man in rank on board jumped in to save you does that mean he is the Admiral?

No, cook or whatever that saved you is not your boss, the Admiral is definitely one of your many bosses. Maybe not your direct boss but certainly a lord over many men and others of higher rank than you.

In the armed forces are you required to address a superior as "sir"? If they are a commissioned officer, I believe that is correct.

If I am wrong about that as far as the Navy is concerned, I will accept your insight.

Would I be wrong if I did not address a commissioned officer as sir? I am not in the military and never have been, so I am not compelled to call them sir, though I would want to show them respect as a leader in our military

If your orders are handed to you in a sealed envelope but you never open nor read your orders, have you accepted them?

Yes, in the sense that you have them in your possession. But can you tell someone else or say or even speak or confess what your orders are?

Without reading them or in some other manner learn what your orders are, it would be impossible for you to confess them

If confess means the same as accept then I John 1:9 takes on a different meaning altogether

9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

Does it say we are to accept our sins then "he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness."

or does it say we are to confess our sins, then "he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness."

I trust with this explanation, you see that thee difference is tantamount to our righteous living

Last edited:

Bradley D

I also see it as confessing my wrongs and accepting/acknowledging that I have done wrong.

Accepting: believe or come to recognize (an opinion, explanation, etc.) as valid or correct.

Confessing: to acknowledge (sin) to God.

oatmeal

I also see it as confessing my wrongs and accepting/acknowledging that I have done wrong.

Accepting: believe or come to recognize (an opinion, explanation, etc.) as valid or correct.

Confessing: to acknowledge (sin) to God.

Confessing has several meanings, it most certainly does include confessing our sins, but most certainly includes confessing truths as well.

When I agree with and state that we are more than conquerors through him the loved us, I am confessing truth that is true and positive, assuring and edifying that ministers grace to the hearer.

We most certainly want to get busy confessing truths

Bradley D

Confessing has several meanings, it most certainly does include confessing our sins, but most certainly includes confessing truths as well.

When I agree with and state that we are more than conquerors through him the loved us, I am confessing truth that is true and positive, assuring and edifying that ministers grace to the hearer.

We most certainly want to get busy confessing truths

And living them!

God's Truth

9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

Verse 9 tells us plainly what the two requirements we have to meet for us to receive salvation from God.

It is that simple.

That takes us some effort to learn about those two truths but that effort does not earn us salvation for we know that it is a gift, not wages. But like any gift, ie, something we did not earn, we still have to do the work to receive it, Ie, maybe hold out our hands to receive it.

What are some of the things that private interpreting people like to add to the requirements that are not there?

1. Works

5. Confessing sins

8. Speaking in tongues

10. Believing that Jesus raised himself from the dead as opposed to believing that God raised him from the dead

16. ______________

This about receiving salvation, this is not about putting salvation to use so that we benefit in the here and now not just to receive the gift of eternal life and then forget about it.

10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

It is clear that salvation, as a gift, is more than just a gift we put in a closet somewhere, unopened, collecting dust. We are to put it to use.

This thread is not about that, but the original receiving of the gift of salvation. By putting it to use we receive more.

If you wish to discuss the effects and what more we receive from putting our salvation to use, please refer to my next thread, in which I will present a few verses about that

Jesus tells us what to do to get saved.

If we say with our mouth that Jesus is Lord, then we had better be obeying him.

Luke 6:46 "Why do you call me, 'Lord, Lord,' and do not do what I say?

Matthew 7:21 Not everyone who says to Me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of My Father in heaven.

Read how many of the Greeks also came and confessed their evil and then were saved:

Act 19

17 And this was known to all the Jews and Greeks also dwelling at Ephesus; and fear fell on them all, and the name of the Lord Jesus was magnified.

18 And many that believed came, and confessed, and shewed their deeds.

19 Many of them also which used curious arts brought their books together, and burned them before all men: and they counted the price of them, and found it fifty thousand pieces of silver.

20 So mightily grew the word of God and prevailed.

beloved57

It is that simple.

1. Works

5. Confessing sins

8. Speaking in tongues

16. ______________

Work Salvation being taught here. Salvation by the work/effort of man !