ECT Our triune God

PneumaPsucheSoma

TOL Subscriber
OK, so in answer to my question about what words you use instead of hypostasis or person (the Pope equates these two), you use prosopon...and person?

No, it's not delineated. The problem is that Mutlihypostatic Trinitarians caricature everything else through their own concepts as the main filter for attempting to comprehend anything else.

And me trying to constantly compare to "the Pope" is pointless, since I don't know exactly what the Pope says, nor do I care. He's a guy. There is no valid Papal position for the Church. That was a Latin fabrication, and it's the fundamental reason for the 1054AD Schizm with the truly Orthodox of history.

Ousia is essence or nature. If substance is referenced for ousia, then the comparable reference for hypostasis is subsistence. They're not the same thing, though they're closely related synonyms.

Hypostasis is substance (or subsistence if substance is prescribed in English for ousia). This underlies the ousia, and is presented visibly and tangibly by the prosopon (person/face/presence/appearance).

Prospon is that which is presented as the observability to any observers. Face to face is prosopon to prosopon. The outward appearance of the hypostasis is the prosopon.

All three are in play, regardless of the formulation and quantitative or qualitative distinctions. They all have the same individual applicable definitions, or at least they should.

My challenge is that scripture only presents one hypostasis and one prosopon relative to the one ousia. And that is reflected in the procession (singular) of the Logos and the Pneuma.

If you don't understand ontological versus economic in relation to procession, most of this will be futile for the the most part.

Ontology is inherent existence of being. There is no "movement" for ontology. Movement is the energies of God rather than the essence of God. In His essence (ousia), God must be static in all His intrinsic attributes. God's essence is the "fountain" of His energies, and His energies were the causal activity in creation.

No ontology may process from God. We can never know God by/in His essence, but He reveals Himself by/with/through His energies. His creation can only comprehend Him energetically, and not ontologically. Otherwise, His ontology is attributed to His creation in some manner via emanation, effluence, or exudation, etc. The result of that is Pantheism or PanENtheism in some form or to varying degrees of postulate (among other world religions).

If one miniscule portion of God's ontology is shared with/in creation, that creation is Divine in ontology. But since everything had a beginning as created, then nothing can or does participate in God's ontology. Things with a beginning are not inherently eternal with no beginning, so they cannot ever have Divine ontology.

Anything else is a world religion of creation BEING God or being IN God as conjoined to Him ontologically.

You said that hypostasis is not person, but here you do say if I'm readying you correctly, that using person is proper when referring to the distinctions among the Father, Son & Holy Spirit?

NO! The Logos and Pneuma are qualitative distinctions of the singular hypostasis. There is only ONE prosopon, just as there is only one hypostasis. The prepared body of the Incarnate Logos is the prosopon, though conjoined to the hypostasis (via Orthodox Chalcedonian Christology).

So then by special ousia you mean what the Pope calls the Trinity's substance, essence, and nature?

No. Substance and essence should never be used together for ousia, since hypostasis/es must always be contrasted to ousia. Essence or nature for ousia, with hypostasis/es as substance/s; or ousia as substance/nature, with hypostasis/es as subsistence. Using substance in English for both ousia and hypostasis is to be avoided. There's enough intricate potential confusion without interposing an English term for two in Greek that are the core of any possible distinction.

So again for clarity, where you use hypostasis, the Pope uses substance, essence, and nature, correct?

So again for clarity, I don't know and don't care what minutiae of misexpression the Pope uses. I'm not contrasting to Popes.

Ousia is essence (or substance relative to hypostasis as subsistence).
Hypostasis is substance (or subsistence relative to ousia as substance).
Prosopon is face/presence/appearance/person in the outward sense.

Hypostasis underlies the ousia, and prosopon presents the outward of the inward. The prosopon is the apparent reality, while the hypostasis is the true reality of underlying existence, since the prosopon (for humanity) will pass away in physical death (then taking a glorified form in everlasting).

I prefer essence for ousia and substance for hypostasis, because the essentiality of existence is ousia and the substantiality is the hypostasis, by which the prosopon is presented.

Mixing them in triplicate just clouds the issue.

I don't follow how "the flesh is dust" connects with the Trinity, since he is not flesh? Perhaps this isn't central to the issue...

I'm not sure what you're referring to, other than that the hypostasis took on literal human flesh of the dust of the ground when the Logos became flesh.

My understanding was the opposite, that one substance, essence, and nature, "underlies" three hypostases or persons.

That's part of the problem. Ousia doesn't mean to stand under. Hypostasis means stand under. That which underlies is the hypostasis. This may reflect some difference between Latin and Greek Orthodoxy, as I've heard others refer to this who were Latins (which you evidently are).

The idea being, that we never really approach or perceive what "underlies" the Trinity; we only interact with him as his persons, which is how he reveals himself to us.

That's a silly inversion that doesn't even represent the terms themselves. And this non-uniformity is the pattern by which such further scattered lack of uniformity has occurred over the ages. That's part of the impetus for my reformulation, regardless who recognizes it or accepts it or not.

We can say (and do) that whatever "underlies" the Trinity, is one. Is this wrong?

Absolutely. First "the Trinity" isn't just the (alleged) multiple hypostases TO be underlied. Even in this inversion, the ousia IS part of the Trinity; so it can't underlie "the Trinity" in some external fashion and still be integral TO the Trinity; yet it's vital for the Trinity to even be conceptually valid. "Persons" MUST be contrasted to "being/s". This leads to other criticism, but I'll defer it for now.

This is just all kinds of jacked up, which is why I've spent years dissecting it to identify all these incongruous and inconsistent anolmalies.

Hypostasis means "to stand under", "to underlie". Ousia does not. Regardless of the quantity or quality of the hypostasis/es, it/they underlie the ousia and not vice versa.

Hypostases are the particular, whereas ousia is the general special designation of type of essence. One must be a species just as one must be an individual within that species. (There are no particular individuals OF a species with no species.) But the individuality underlies the species for particular existence. "What" AND "which".

All humanity shares a singular species of ousia, but each has particular existence that is individual. That individuality is their distinction of existence apart from other humanity with the same species of ousia. And that underlying hypostatic distinction also designates each ousia from others as "beings" rather than "persons" or "dogs" rather than "Rover".

And each particular human individual with underlying reality of existence has a human logos and pneuma. So a human hypostasis has qualitative distinctions of logos and pneuma (and psuche) while being a singular hypostasis. That's because we're in God's image and likeness. There's no need to make God's Logos and Pneuma into individual hypsotases for distinction. Perhaps that will open some small door of understanding to my formulation.

OK, so here, where the Pope uses the words hypostases or persons for the distinction among the Father, Son & Holy Spirit, you use prosopons or persons for the Father, Logos & Pneuma? I'm trying my best to follow...

No. God (who is also the Father) is a transcendent hypostasis underlying an ousia. God inherently has a Logos and Pneuma, since He IS Spirit and is the ground of all sentience and cognition.

God, His Logos, and His Pneuma all have inherent and eternal ontological Self-existence. In this pre-creational state, there is NO where, when, or what because nothing has been created. No heaven, no time, and no "whats" or "whos". There is only God as a singular ousia underlied by a singular hypostasis. This is His ontology of essence and its underlying substance. There is no prosopon, for there is no beholder for beholdablity. He is the unseen and unseeable God because there are no seers to see Him, not because He cannot present Himself to be seen.

All creation occurred by the energies (movement) of His essence (ontology). Everything relative to His ontology must already be static and immutable, including His Logos and Pneuma. That's why the exerchomai and ekporeuomai procession had to be represented by Orthodoxy as INternal and ontological. If not, the Logos and Pneuma would be created rather than UNcreated. Multiple hypostases required this, because there had to be the compensatory band-aid of "eternal begottenness" and "eternal procession" prior to any creative energy. This does violence to the text.

With the Logos and Pneuma correctly and scripturally being qualitative distinctions of the singular hypsotasis (just like man in God's image), the procession can be EXternal and economic just as exerchomai and ekporeuomai indicate in the inspired text. This contrasts with the unscriptural quantitative multiple hypostases being ontological, with no economy to have presence within creation in multi-omni fashion relative to God's inherent attributes. The exerchomai and ekporeuomai have already been "used up" for INternal ontological procession; but the ex- and ek- are mandatorily economic, and it secondarily also leaves no economy for God to inhabit His own creation.

This confuses me. Whether or not there is a qualitative or quantitative distinction, there are three distinct...things...to the Trinity, right?

No, not in the sense of hypostases at all. Are your logos and pneuma distinct from you as additional hypostases? Are you multiple hypostases because you have a logos and a pneuma? No. You're pneuma-psuche-soma as one hypostasis (outwardly presenting a prosopon).

What I mean is, even if the distinctions are qualitative and not quantitative, we can still number them, and that number is three, right?

No. Distinctions are not "parts". And in this regard, God is more aptly trichotomous than triune, but both are just terms to depict "threeness". There must be a simplicity to God that He is not comprised of "parts". That's why qualitative distinctions weren't considered in favor of quantitative distinctions; but it's actually the inverse problem. Multiple hypostases ARE "parts".

You're too confined to a finite mind and mathematics that are relative to only temporal significance. There was NO quantity before God created, so multiplicity is less accurate than immenstiy in any sense of plurality for God. God shouldn't be "numbered" by components of His inherent constitution.

Monotheism shouldn't need such a large asterisk as the Multihypostatic Trinity doctrine. God is ONE. All distinctions are qualitative relative to God's constitution as the uncaused cause.

So I guess my question is, how can there be qualitative distinction without there being quantitative distinction, since the qualitative distinctions can be numbered?

Because God in His ontology is beyond temporal equations dependent upon mathematics. God isn't quantified. God is qualitative existence as Spirit. NONtemporal. Applying temporal aspects to God is the height of fallacy.

I can see, since you use hypostasis where the Pope uses substance, essence, and nature,

Somebody needs to make up their mind. Ousia AND hypostasis cannot both be substance and essence; and hypostasis isn't nature at all. In fact, nature is best left to physis in this sense, leaving it apart from both ousia and hypsotasis.

So... No.

But Popes will be Popes. It's too bad the Pope is clueless about Theology Proper, even according to Orthodox formluation. But Vatican II is antichrist far beyond preceeding RCC error anyway, but that's another subject for another day with others who don't have their faith erroneously in a Papacy, so I'll leave it at that.

that there would be a problem from your point of view with his articulation of the Trinity.

Huge problems. And all other dilution comes from this problem to create an epidemic of problems. But nobody will touch it because they don't know their own doctrine. Most just regurge a few sentences and fight to the death verbally over semantics they're ignorant of.

The worst is the pan-epidemic, especially among Protestant sects, of Triadism; where each of the alleged individual hypostases each have a sentient cognition and volition. That's three minds/wills, which is three souls. This makes three beings, which would be multiple ousios rather than multiple hypostases as one ousia. It's outright Tritheism, and it's pagan; but it's becoming the default among many of the sectarians, especially the Charismatics (who are also predominantly Kenosists, as well).

I definitely did not follow you in your explanation of "ontology," "economy," "exerchomai" and "ekporeuomai," but hopefully I can get closer to understanding you upon your response to this post.

Thanks. :)

It should be much clearer from my content above. If not, I'd suggest you speaking with someone Orthodox (Eastern) to get a better understanding before filtering my criticisms and accessing my reformulation.
:cool:

Last edited:

Lon

Nick M - Thus saith the Lord...Jesus is God

Nick M - Thus saith the Lord...Jesus is God

It is over 400 times the prophets said "Thus says the Lord". In late modern English.

The Lord Jesus Christ never said it. He said...."I say to you".

meshak

BANNED
Banned
Originally Posted by Nick M View Post
It is over 400 times the prophets said "Thus says the Lord". In late modern English.

It is YHWH which is Jesus' Father, not Jesus.

The Lord Jesus Christ never said it. He said...."I say to you".

He did not say "I am God".

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Son of God=God (same nature; equality).

Jesus did claim to be God or it was said about Him that He is God. A modern person might miss it, but the Jews did not miss Jewish Jesus' claims.

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Son of God=God (same nature; equality).

Jesus did claim to be God or it was said about Him that He is God. A modern person might miss it, but the Jews did not miss Jewish Jesus' claims.

Sons of God of the Bible are always men,

And it is something to attain to--

Joh 1:12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:

LA

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Please follow the links and spam those threads, not this one. Thank you.

You despise Christians and say hateful things of them because your seminary gods taught you God is more than one person.

They lied to you.

God is one person.

heis one is a masculine one, and when conjoined with theos by grammer can only be one person/personage and never is represented by three, theos is one a sole one as a person and not three persons/beings 'one' heis-in the greekthayer- a cardinal numeral; one, where it takes the place of a predicate it means one person.pg 186 a grk lexicon of the n.t. a.t.robertson-one when masculine sets forth the idea of the cardinal numeral 'one' when referring to people or beings always the numeral one is implied.pg 186 vol 5 word pictures of the grk n.t. andpg 526-527 vol 4,pg299 vol4 word pict..n.t. bauer-masculine 'one' a single one pg 230 bauers greek lexicon gingrich- equivalent to protos first, only one; single pg 57 shorter lexiconof grk n.t. now hen -0ne youngs one hen when neuter means one thing, pg 719 youngs anaylyticalconcordance of the bible, thayer one when neuter means to be united,in one will or spirit. pg 186-187ibid a.t.robertson one when neuter shows a unity;a oneness of indentity pg 526vol 4 ibidpg 186 ibid vine- one/hen when neuter may be used to show a numeral one of a thing or it may be used to show unity of more than one or someone or thing. 'heis'(the power of the masculine one) a. t. robertson eph 2:14: verse 14 for he is our peace, who hath made both one...(hen)hath made both one 'one' is neuter. "hen" two peoples become one. unity is understood in light of the neuter one. word pictures of the n.t. vol. 4. page 526 & 527. robertson galatians 3:28;verse 28 there is neither jew nor greek, there is neither male nor female; for ye are all one in christ jesus.'one' is masculine. "heis" no word for man in the greek. yet, man is understood because of masculine 'one' - heis. vincent: "one moral personality" word pictures in the n.t. vol. 4. page 299 'heis'(the power of the masculine one) joseph henry thayer galatians 3:20 & 28;..but god is one..for ye are all one in christ. the word 'one' is masculine; heis thayer: "ye that adhere to christ make one person, just as the lord himself." 'hen' (examples of the neuter

continued--

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
one) the form of the numeral used when two or more persons are said to exist as 'one' is the nominative neuter form "hen"
1. jn. 11:52 and not for that nation only but that also he should gather unto one (hen) the children of god that were scattered abroad. (many people were to be made one, therefore hen was the proper word to use).
2. icor. 3:6-8 i have planted, apollos watered but god gave the increase, so then neither he that planteth is anything, neither he that watereth, but god that giveth the increase. now he that planteth and he that watereth are one(hen).a. two people are said to be one.b. (hen) not heis is used because two people are said to be one in the sense of unity.
3. eph. 2:14 for he is our peace, who hath made both one (hen) and hath broken down the middle wall of partition between us.a. 'both' jews and gentiles b. two croups of people 'one' person c. (hen) is required to describe the oneness as a unity. 'one'(heis and hen)(masculine and neuter)
facts to consider:
1. the nominative masculine form 'heis' is used throughout the n.t. for one person.
2. scholars confirm that 'heis' means one person
3. no other evidence in scriptures or otherwise has been presented in trinitarian controversies to indicate that 'heis' ever refers to persons.
4. whenever two or more persons are stated to be one in scripture, their state of unity is described by 'hen'. this form is used to dipict the "one body"which consists of many members. icor. 12:125. scholars verify that 'hen' is used when persons are involved.6. "hen" is never used in scripture to modify god.
7. each time the greek n. t. speaks of god as being one, it employs "heis"to describe

continued--

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
that oneness. thsu, eleven (11) times the n.t. speaks of god as one person.
8. the above facts might be contested, but they cannot be disputed. in plain simple greek, god conveys to the world that he is one, and the evidence is overwhelming that the word chosen by him to assert his unity means "one person" or "one single being"
the big eleven(heis)a. each time the gk. n.t. uses the word 'one' in reference to god it employs the numeral "heis" b. the gk. numeral "heis" declares god to be one person.
1. mk. 2:7 why doth this man thus speak? he blashemeth; who can forgive sins but one (heis) even god? asv
2. mk, 10:18 and jesus said unto him, why callest thou me good? there is none good but one (heis) that is god.
3. mk. 12:29 and jesus answered him, the first of all the commandments is,hear, o israel; the lord our god is one (heis) lord.
4. lk. 18:19 and jesus said unto him, why callest thou me good? none is good,save one (heis), that is, god.
5. rom. 3:30 seeing it is one (heis) god, which shall justify the circumsion through faith.
6. icor. 8:4 concerning therefore the eating of things sacrificied to idols,we know that no idol is anything in the world, and that there is no god but one asv.
7. icor. 8:6 but to us there is but one (heis) god, the father, of whom are all things, and we in him.
8. gal. 3:20 now a mediator is not a mediator of one, but god is one (heis)
9. eph, 4:6 one (heis) god and father of all, who is above all, and through all and in you all.

LA

Lon

A great verse of truth from Right Divider

A great verse of truth from Right Divider

Joh 5:21-23 KJV For as the Father raiseth up the dead, and quickeneth them; even so the Son quickeneth whom he will. (22) For the Father judgeth no man, but hath committed all judgment unto the Son: (23) That all men should honour the Son, even as they honour the Father. He that honoureth not the Son honoureth not the Father which hath sent him.
You can't honor the Son EVEN AS you honor the Father unless you HONOR THEM BOTH THE SAME.

This is another of the many, many claims of DEITY that the Lord Jesus Christ made.

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
None would be honoring the Father if they claim the Father is not greater than His Son.

Joh 14:28 You have heard Me say to you, 'I am going away and coming back to you.' If you loved Me, you would rejoice because I said, 'I am going to the Father,' for My Father is greater than I.

1Co 11:3 But I want you to know that the head of every man is Christ, the head of woman is man, and the head of Christ is God.

1Co 15:28 Now when all things are made subject to Him, then the Son Himself will also be subject to Him who put all things under Him, that God may be all in all.

Joh 13:16 Most assuredly, I say to you, a servant is not greater than his master; nor is he who is sent greater than he who sent him.
Joh 13:20 Most assuredly, I say to you, he who receives whomever I send receives Me; and he who receives Me receives Him who sent Me.

LA

Lon

Daniel1611 says: "Bible Clearly Says Jesus Is God."

Daniel1611 says: "Bible Clearly Says Jesus Is God."

Apparently there are people that say the Bible does not say that Jesus is God. This is a lie. If you don't believe Jesus is God, that is your choice. But the Bible clearly says he is, so you must derive your belief otherwise from something else. This is by no means a complete list.

1 John 3:16 - Hereby perceive we the love [of God], because he laid down his life for us: and we ought to lay down [our] lives for the brethren.

John 1:1- In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

Isaiah 9:6 - For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counselor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace

John 20:28 - And Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God.

John 8:58 - Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am.

Hebrews 1:8 - But unto the Son [he saith], Thy throne, O God, [is] for ever and ever: a sceptre of righteousness [is] the sceptre of thy kingdom.

Matthew 1:23 - Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us.

Revelation 1:8 - I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty.

John 1:3 - All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made

Matthew 28:9 - And as they went to tell his disciples, behold, Jesus met them, saying, All hail. And they came and held him by the feet, and worshipped him.

1 Timothy 3:16 - And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.

John 14:9 - Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou [then], Shew us the Father?

We agree with you, Daniel. :thumb:

Lon

Right Divider rightly divides here

Right Divider rightly divides here

Why do so many of you ignore the fact that Zechariah says that the LORD (yehôvâh) will STAND on the Mount of Olives with HIS FEET?
Zec 14:3-4 KJV Then shall the LORD go forth, and fight against those nations, as when he fought in the day of battle. (4) And his feet shall stand in that day upon the mount of Olives, which is before Jerusalem on the east, and the mount of Olives shall cleave in the midst thereof toward the east and toward the west, and there shall be a very great valley; and half of the mountain shall remove toward the north, and half of it toward the south.
This matches completely with Acts 1.

Act 1:9-12 KJV And when he had spoken these things, while they beheld, he was taken up; and a cloud received him out of their sight. (10) And while they looked stedfastly toward heaven as he went up, behold, two men stood by them in white apparel; (11) Which also said, Ye men of Galilee, why stand ye gazing up into heaven? this same Jesus, which is taken up from you into heaven, shall so come in like manner as ye have seen him go into heaven. (12) Then returned they unto Jerusalem from the mount called Olivet, which is from Jerusalem a sabbath day's journey.
There is no reason to remain ignorant that Jesus is the LORD.

meshak

BANNED
Banned
There is no reason to remain ignorant that Jesus is the LORD.

According to the Bible, Jesus is Lord, not LORD.

No one is denying Jesus is Lord.

Trinitarians are making Jesus and His Father relationship complicated. Jesus makes is clear who they are.

It is sin to add your own assumption than what it says.

Jesus says He is Son of God and Savior of the world. and He was sent by His Father.
He also says His Father is His God.
He also says His followers are His brethren.
He also says HIs Father is our God.
He also says He cannot do anything His own.
He also say HIs Father is greater than He, Jesus.

These are clear statement of Jesus. Why do you need to add more?

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
According to the Bible, Jesus is Lord, not LORD.

No one is denying Jesus is Lord.

Trinitarians are making Jesus and His Father relationship complicated. Jesus makes is clear who they are.

It is sin to add your own assumption than what it says.

Jesus says He is Son of God and Savior of the world. and He was sent by His Father.
He also says His Father is His God.
He also says His followers are His brethren.
He also says HIs Father is our God.
He also says He cannot do anything His own.
He also say HIs Father is greater than He, Jesus.

These are clear statement of Jesus. Why do you need to add more?
The Prophet Muhammad (PBUH&HH) could not have said it better.

:down: