intricately and precisely
correlate
spirit-soul and body with
hypostasis/ousia/physis/soma/sarx/prosopon,
then they should NEVER speak of Theology Proper
or the constitution of man
unless they're inquiring to learn.

Arrrrrgggggghhhhhhh!!!!

The human person, his being and nature, his body and flesh, and his face, which is now but a fallen mask?

All these, you say...??

With the human soul and the human spirit?

You see, you left our person again...

Steeeeeeeeeeerrrraaiiiikkkee TWO!

You simply, my Dear, CANNOT omit reference to Person in ANY of these discussions...

Irreligious of HOW trivial the western understanding of this word has become...

BECAUSE...

It is THE word that ALL understand WITHOUT verbal definition...

We all also understand SELF as both more AND less that PERSON...

Because there is often a conflict between person and self...

And IF you want to follow Christ, there had BETTER be a conflict...

And you had BETTER be on the right side of that conflict...

Theology is pre-eminently practical within one's self, you see...

It is not a matter of you and the OTHERS...

Arsenios

Arsenios

My theology doesn't fail
just because you are utterly incapable of anything
but misunderstanding and misrepresenting it.

Because you are unwilling to use the term person???

And instead you use hypostasis,
which sounds more like a pathogenic diagnosis?

Color me dumb and non-representational...

We MUST use English...

We CAN import Greek understanding to English words...

We CAN on rare occasions use a Greek word when there is NOT one in English...

The term NOUS is right at or on the edge of this...

Person is not...

Western thought simply does not go deep enough with the term person...

We understand the PERSON as MASK, which is shallow, and which egoic self-understanding IS...
But we usually are living in our masks...
We are all existing AS the person hiding behind the mask...

So person is accessible to all...
Mask is not...
Prosopon/mask/face will fly over most...
Fake-face vs authentic face everyone gets...

How's your toes? :)

Arsenios

Last edited:

Arsenios

Unless/until someone can intricately and precisely correlate spirit-soul and body with hypostasis/ousia/physis/soma/sarx/prosopon, then they should NEVER speak of Theology Proper or the constitution of man unless they're inquiring to learn.

Arrrrrgggggghhhhhhh!!!!

You didn't mean some Spirit-Soul, in addition to a BODY here, did you?

Or did you mean spirit AND soul AND body...?

So now there are three to correlate intricately with each of the other six
In multilevel potentials of combinations and permutations?

Not 4 me, thankyouverymuch....

Because THAT would be an INTELLECTUAL exercise...

And the intellect is fallen...

Arsenios

Last edited:

jsjohnnt

Sort of...

In PPS's terms...

That is how I must be...

In MY terms, I am just trying to follow the Patristic teachings which form the Holy Tradition of Christ's Church...

Arsenios
Me trying to be cute. While I do not agree with some of what you say, it drives me back into the written word. Your sincerity is without doubt in my book, and your perspective is not available at my local Baptist church. Hang in there , old man. (Are you as old as your picture?).

PneumaPsucheSoma

TOL Subscriber
OK...

The language needs precision in usage...

I am glad you changed what you had written...

You are like a horse that can't wait to gallop off at racing speed, and unwilling as a teacher to go through the steps it had itself to learn, first to straighten its legs, then to wobbily stand up, then to stagger to nurse from mothers teat, then to start to practicing to walk without falling down, then to take some real steps, then to maybe trot a little... But no - YOU want to forget the reins, forget the saddle blanket and the saddle, and the bridle, and the bit, not to mention the rider, and gallop off showing all how good you can gallop...

and I have asked you time and again, to slow down, to regard me as a 10 year old, to speak like a normal person to normal people, but you spit the bit, throw up your head and toss the reins, and go a galloping...

And THEN, you rotten child!

And THEN, you COMPLAIN when I sit here with an empty bridle and reins and bit and tell you why it is that I am not riding along with you...

This is too fun! :) :) :)

So HOLD them HOARSES, Partner!

They's a Wagon ter pull here!

Iff'n y'er doan' wanna pull'er, then OKEEFINE!

We will all ADMIRE you from afar...

As you gallop off into yoar sunset...

But I should add...

Riding partners deserve better...

But of c'hoarse...

youknewthat!

Arsenios

This is true in many ways, but predominantly because of this venue. I could type for days and still not present that which can be taught verbally in an hour or two with illustrations. Literary tradition is far inferior to oral tradition.

The volume and density and tedium of expression in written form is difficult as a tool to rid others of cognitive dissonance from dogma. So it's hard to toddle along incessantly, attempting to unravel while weaving.

We RECOGNIZE it quite well,
no matter how ingeniously CAMOFLAGED WITH
interstitialhautsyllabicmultisyllabillicisms...
(Say THAT 10 times fast!)

And we UNDERSTAND it as MODALISM...

I'm not representing Modalism in the least, though certain forms and perceptions of Modalism are as close as the Orthodox Trinity and preferable to a conceptual Trinity with multiple minds and wills assigned to the alleged hypostases.

A phenomenon of a person in a mode of action of that person...

Nope. Not even close. Modalism isn't multi-phenomenal. It's uni-phenomenal with multiple sequential manifestations.

You refuse to understand AND assign a misrepresentation. It's like everyone else calling the Trinity three gods. And it's condescending and dismissive from a position of inferior understanding.

I understand the Orthodox Trinity doctrine and all other permutations of Theology Proper. Obscure views many aren't even aware of or familiar with. Yet you want to caricature everything else to some limited projection you insist upon.

You don't recognize and understand that God and His Logos are both uncreated phenomenal and noumenal Self-conscious Self-existence. You simply deny it and then categorize whatever I say by another superimposed and caricatured criteria and concept.

God could appear to you and tell you He's not three hypostases (for NO ONE has encountered the alleged three "persons" simultaneously in plurality), and you'd argue with Him for tradition. That's just not kosher.

A baseball-phenom swings his bat and gets a hit...

So? There is UNcreated phenomenon (God) and created phenomenon (all else). You're arguing from the standpoint of denial that God shines and appears. Yet you still try to apply what I say within the framework of your perception. They're incompatible.

Later, the shower-phenom takes a shower...

Same guy...

Uses up all the hot water, ding-dang nab it all!

Truly funny, but I don't represent Modalism... FOR THE BAZILLIONTH TIME... obfuscator.

Multiple phenomena...

Yeah. UNcreated and created, not quantities of manifestations within the latter. Arrrrrgggggghhhhhh!!!!

And there are tons more after that...

So that was STRIKE ONE...

Nope.

And I have a runner on base...

Too much Abbott and Costello.

He got there on your BALK, remember?

Nope.

You made some other pitches, but I have to go on a job...

So TA!

Arsenios

If only you'd lay aside your caricatures and understand what I say for what it is instead of insisting on what you presume it to be and shallowly reckoning it to be Modalism.

The human person, his being and nature, his body and flesh, and his face, which is now but a fallen mask?

All these, you say...??

With the human soul and the human spirit?

You see, you left our person again...

Steeeeeeeeeeerrrraaiiiikkkee TWO!

I've told you over and over... In English, by definition, ALL persons are beings. You cannot insist on English and ignore that glaring fact. You don't get to demand English usage of terms and then ignore definitions.

IN ENGLISH, ALL PERSONS ARE BEINGS. IT'S A LINGUISTIC FACT. So there can't be a three-person being using English terms, for the alleged persons MUST be contrasted to the one being. You don't get to play both ends against the middle selectively.

And a Trinity with one mind and will STILL means multiple Logoi, jist as multiple minds and wills means multiple beings. Total unresolvable paradox, compounded by usage of English for "person/s".

You simply, my Dear, CANNOT omit reference to Person in ANY of these discussions...

As I said... Denumber the quantification of hypostases for an unquantifiable God and I'll gladly adopt the now-tainted term.

Irreligious of HOW trivial the western understanding of this word has become...

The Easterns are only better in referring to the hypostasis instead of the prosopon in ways, and by insisting the hypostasis underlies the ousia rather than the ousia "having" the hypostasis.

Hypostasis is irreducible. Period. Especially after being corrupted by multiplication.

BECAUSE...

It is THE word that ALL understand WITHOUT verbal definition...

Yeah... As an individuated sentient volitional BEING. THAT's the common understanding. NOBODY understands it, and can't define it.

We all also understand SELF as both more AND less that PERSON...

Nebulous.

Because there is often a conflict between person and self...

And IF you want to follow Christ, there had BETTER be a conflict...

And you had BETTER be on the right side of that conflict...

Nebulous.

Theology is pre-eminently practical within one's self, you see...

It is not a matter of you and the OTHERS...

Arsenios

Yep. And that's why there can't be a heart understanding and belief that God is multi-souled or multi-minded, or multi-Logoi-ed.

God is not three hypostases, whatever they're translated as in any language; but especially not English persons, which are automatically beings by definition.

But you'll ignore that for the infinitudinal time. Look in Webster's or Oxford. ALL persons qualify as beings by every possible definiton.

Because you are unwilling to use the term person???

A hypostasis is the underlying foundational substantial objective reality for subsistence as existence. Without a prosopon, it's not a person. Every hypostasis must have its own proper prosopon.

There is one transcendent uncreated hypostasis and prosopon, and that's UNcreated phenomenon. God shines and appears.

And instead you use hypostasis,

Vacate the unscriptural multiplication and I can agree. God is A person. God is NOT three persons.

which sounds more like a pathogenic diagnosis?

True. And irreducible as long as it's been hijacked and multiplied as a band-aid to compensate for error and omission.

Color me dumb and non-representational...

Not the first; unintentionally, but often maddeningly, the second. The forum venue is diabolically frustrating.

We MUST use English...

Then ALL persons MUST be beings. No selective double standards.

RIP 3-hypostases Trinity fallacy. English destroys your doctrine. Period.

We CAN import Greek understanding to English words...

Sorta. Fine. Hypostasis is person. Then there can't be three.

We CAN on rare occasions use a Greek word when there is NOT one in English...

The term NOUS is right at or on the edge of this...

That's for sure. Nobody seems to know what nous is, but that's true of many words, actually.

Person is not...

Western thought simply does not go deep enough with the term person...

We understand the PERSON as MASK, which is shallow, and which egoic self-understanding IS...
But we usually are living in our masks...
We are all existing AS the person hiding behind the mask...

So person is accessible to all...
Mask is not...
Prosopon/mask/face will fly over most...
Fake-face vs authentic face everyone gets...

I'm copiously and intuitively aware of all of this. The issue is the false multiplication of the hypostases for God.

How's your toes? :)

Arsenios

Covered with the steel-toed shodding of my feet with the Gospel that includes a Unihypostatic Trinity.

PneumaPsucheSoma

TOL Subscriber
You didn't mean some Spirit-Soul, in addition to a BODY here, did you?

Or did you mean spirit AND soul AND body...?

So now there are three to correlate intricately with each of the other six
In multilevel potentials of combinations and permutations?

Not 4 me, thankyouverymuch....

Because THAT would be an INTELLECTUAL exercise...

And the intellect is fallen...

Arsenios

Amazing and sad that all others are presumed to have merely intellectual knowledge instead of any intuitive knowledge, with the criteria being whether they adamantly agree with the early Fathers verbatim.

Infallibility is NOT that specific and cataphatic.

Arsenios

Me trying to be cute. While I do not agree with some of what you say, it drives me back into the written word. Your sincerity is without doubt in my book, and your perspective is not available at my local Baptist church. Hang in there , old man. (Are you as old as your picture?).

About that old, but that is not my picture - That is my avatar, a Russian Monk who lived through the communist persecutions in a Russian Monastery - VERY few did so... Name is Kreistiensen or thereabouts... The pic taken from a book titled "Everyday Saints"... Recently released, but I think he has passed...

Arsenios

Arsenios

Amazing and sad that all others are presumed to have merely intellectual knowledge instead of any intuitive knowledge, with the criteria being whether they adamantly agree with the early Fathers verbatim.

Infallibility is NOT that specific and cataphatic.

I am not in the least questioning the intuitive nature of your insights and knowledge... I never have done so... But the source is very questionable... So I ask questions...

Arsenios

Arsenios

I'm not representing Modalism in the least,

Well, one person in several roles IS modalism...

The Orthodox Trinity ...
with multiple minds and wills
assigned to the alleged hypostases.

It is this ONLY in your mind...
And it is THERE only because you anthropomorphize God to be as man is,
having separate wills and minds according to the HUMAN person thinking and willing...

God is radically OTHER than creation...

THEREFORE:

Mind and will are not applicable to the Hypostases/Persons who God IS...
He has never revealed Himself as multiply minded and willed,
except in the incarnation which was a CONDESCENSION FOR our sakes...

We confess Three Persons, and One God...

BECAUSE...

THAT is what God has revealed Himself to us as...

And we clearly understand that this revelation
is itself a condescension for our sakes,
so that while it is true,
it is not in any way definitive of God...

We do not speculate further
in order to bring it all into some systematically forged and logical framework...
Were we to do so, we would be humanizing theology, you see...
Making it a product of our fallen and systematic thinking...

And human rationality is fallen...

The witness of the Church is from Illumination of the Nous...

And it is consistent for some 2000 years now...

Arsenios

Last edited:

Arsenios

I've told you over and over... In English, by definition, ALL persons are beings. You cannot insist on English and ignore that glaring fact. You don't get to demand English usage of terms and then ignore definitions.

We all know ourselves as persons... You can ostensively define the term... Most people do not have a clue that person means being, even though they do know that they are a human being, and not some other kind of being...

IN ENGLISH, ALL PERSONS ARE BEINGS. IT'S A LINGUISTIC FACT.

It won't hold up in the streets. Are YOU a person? Yes or No? Ask anyone, and if they do not think you are being too wierd, they will say yes if they are sincere... Every one of them... We ALL KNOW in our GUT what Person means, but not all know what BEING means... Are you BEING lazy? Are you BEING snippy? Are you BEING a pig? They all know THAT being...

So there can't be a three-person being using English terms, for the alleged persons MUST be contrasted to the one being. You don't get to play both ends against the middle selectively.

YOU do not get to DEFINE God...

We confess One God in Three Persons...

And a Trinity with one mind and will STILL means multiple Logoi, just as multiple minds and wills means multiple beings. Total unresolvable paradox, compounded by usage of English for "person/s".

Multiple doctrines? Multiple teachings? Multiple capital L - Logoi?
Another befuddlement for me...
I have no idea what that sentence might mean...

Arsenios

Jedidiah

Now there are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit. 5 And there are differences of administrations, but the same Lord. 6 And there are diversities of operations, but it is the same God which worketh all in all.

7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal. 8 For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit; 9 To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit; 10 To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:

11 But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will.​
I never noticed the Trinitarian formula in verses 4-6, but that's neither here nor there.

Does the bold indicate that the Holy Spirit chooses independently of the Father and of the Son when choosing who (Christians) gets what gifts ? I note also that verse 11 says, "He," meaning the Spirit, is a Person; although that also goes with Him having a will.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Now there are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit. 5 And there are differences of administrations, but the same Lord. 6 And there are diversities of operations, but it is the same God which worketh all in all.

7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal. 8 For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit; 9 To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit; 10 To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:

11 But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will.​
I never noticed the Trinitarian formula in verses 4-6, but that's neither here nor there.

Does the bold indicate that the Holy Spirit chooses independently of the Father and of the Son when choosing who (Christians) gets what gifts ? I note also that verse 11 says, "He," meaning the Spirit, is a Person; although that also goes with Him having a will.

good post and noticing the trinity in that scripture. i believe God's Spirit IS God's Will as Christ IS -

PneumaPsucheSoma

TOL Subscriber
I am not in the least questioning the intuitive nature of your insights and knowledge... I never have done so... But the source is very questionable... So I ask questions...

Arsenios

Well... Either I've set my throne above him who set his throne above the Most High, or there must be truth in what I say. There's not much middle ground. And I so closely adhere to so much else, I can't even qualify for any anathema (if I were Orthodox).

Do you really pretend to think that most Trinitarians have intuition of Theology Proper? That would be among the least credible things anyone could say.

I haven't met any Antiochian locally who does, including the Priests. They're nowhere near as informed as you. Not even close.

I don't see much "source" OR intuition amongst professing Trinitarians. Most just declare and assert nominal stuff and then chunk ad hominem by the trainload. So much so, that I allowed it to shape me in that fashion and am still recovering with partial relapses.

And I've never seen you or other professing Trinitarians fuss much at each other over error OR behavior, saving for those who challenge the silly formulaic.

Arsenios

PPS said:
Nope.
Not even close.
Modalism isn't multi-phenomenal.
It's uni-phenomenal
with multiple sequential manifestations.

A manifestation is a phenomenon...

Sequential or simultaneous...

Arsenios

Jedidiah

good post and noticing the trinity in that scripture. i believe God's Spirit IS God's Will as Christ IS -
But you believe that the Father has a will Himself also, right, distinct from the Person of the Spirit ? That the Father and the Spirit are distinct Persons ? :noid:

Arsenios

Do you really pretend to think that most Trinitarians have intuition of Theology Proper?

No...

Just all the Holy Fathers of the Apostolic Faith...

I haven't met any Antiochian locally who does, including the Priests. They're nowhere near as informed as you. Not even close.

I'm a lot like you, PPS...

I am not, you see...

er...

Normal!

I don't see much "source" OR intuition amongst professing Trinitarians. Most just declare and assert nominal stuff and then chunk ad hominem by the trainload. So much so, that I allowed it to shape me in that fashion and am still recovering with partial relapses.

You have to go to the sources, and the local pastors are just that - They are men with a heart for God to take care of souls who come to them, and a lot of them are even clueless about that, let alone about Trinitarian Theology... You want the modern Orthodox sources? Read Hierotheos [still living], or John Romanides, reposed a few years ago, and Thomas Hopko, newly departed...

The problem they will see in you is that your approach to these doctrines you profess was outside the Orthodox Communion, and so they will look askance at the doctrines, as I do too, because of it...

And fwiw, I TOO came to God outside ANY of the Churches... And I had some strange understandings that I had to turn from, and found that the turning was personally (there's that dreaded word again! ")) beneficial...

The Church provides us with the "inside passage" that is safe with obstacles...

I came through the open ocean of storms and dangers...

And am now in those more protected waters...

Just sayin'...

And I've never seen you or other professing Trinitarians fuss much at each other over error OR behavior, saving for those who challenge the silly formulaic.

The dogmatics are pretty well beyond debate within Orthodoxy -

Ironed out across 2 millennia...

We are more concerned with praxis and Ecumenism and such matters...

Arsenios

Lon

Do you really pretend to think that most Trinitarians have intuition of Theology Proper? That would be among the least credible things anyone could say.

That is because the two above go together (your point). They don't because you are correct. Your own journey attests to the facts. I do think scripture portrays correctly, that such might be a spirit-intuition as it were, but such comes from careful study, I concur.

I was looking over our numbers. Per posts, it is one of the higher 'attended' threads rather than 'participatory.' That was one goal in its inception, of which, I've also been a passive participant/learner. It is an important thread. Thanks for contributions to date (everyone).

-Lon

PneumaPsucheSoma

TOL Subscriber
Well, one person in several roles IS modalism...

The Son and Holy Spirit aren't "roles". They're qualitative hypostatic distinctions rather than individuated hypostases.

AGAIN with the Modalism. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Why provoke constantly? It's not like I don't know what Modalism is in a number of different forms.

Incessant caricaturing. Why not consider that maybe I'm not saying what you're inferring? Why not consider that maybe I'm presenting something you have no grid for, because you deny God appears and shines as uncreated phenomenon?

It's pretty hard to represent what you keep insisting is something else.

It is this ONLY in your mind...
And it is THERE only because you anthropomorphize God to be as man is,
having separate wills and minds according to the HUMAN person thinking and willing...

God is radically OTHER than creation...

Then there goes your ultra-mega-mondo-super-duper-anthropomorphic English term "person/s". So be it, I guess.

The irony of your unparalleled infinitudinous anthropomorphization coupled with this statement screams... "I get to make the rules and have inequitous double standards for any term/s I want because I'm Orthodox and it's mystery when I can't explain or validate what I say.

THEREFORE:

Mind and will are not applicable to the Hypostases/Persons who God IS...
He has never revealed Himself as multiply minded and willed,
except in the incarnation which was a CONDESCENSION FOR our sakes...

We confess Three Persons, and One God...

BECAUSE...

THAT is what God has revealed Himself to us as...

And we clearly understand that this revelation
is itself a condescension for our sakes,
so that while it is true,
it is not in any way definitive of God...

We do not speculate further
in order to bring it all into some systematically forged and logical framework...
Were we to do so, we would be humanizing theology, you see...
Making it a product of our fallen and systematic thinking...

And human rationality is fallen...

The witness of the Church is from Illumination of the Nous...

And it is consistent for some 2000 years now...

Arsenios

And mandated so. And yet none has encountered all three alleged hypostases simultaneously.

There are more ancient religions that are equally consistent and rigorous. Tenure just means being in error longer. Not much to brag about when I've clearly demonstrated the paradoxes that you have to resort to double standards to deny.

The ANFs and ECFs started their formulaic post-procession and post-creation to include both. The result LOOKS and FUNCTIONS like there could be three hypostases, but it's layers of NON-MODAL phenomenal existence.

It's like you drawing a Rubik's Cube on a sheet of paper. It's impossible to represent the former by the latter. Same here.