OPEC declared war on Texas ...

fzappa13

One of the more interesting aspects of the article above, for me anyway, was that the Carlyle group, et al, were waiting in the wings to scoop up the majority of the independent producers when they fell by the wayside. This was the plan all along. The Board of Directors of the Carlyle group and the Saudi's are in bed together. When most of the mid-level independents hung in there it threw a giant monkey wrench into these folks plans. I don't think most folks realize how significant this development is. Much like the Japanese in WW2, I think the Saudis seriously underestimated the assets, resolve and creativity of their chosen adversary.

On the other hand, I don't know that there was much else they could do other than be passive observers and folks facing loosing their sheikdoms are seldom inclined to do that.

Long term I think we will see some increasingly bizarre activity on the part of national political leaders affiliated with and/or backed by the Saudis as their plight becomes more desperate. After all, that is what campaign contributions are supposed to buy.

Last edited: