OPEC declared war on Texas ...

fzappa13

... But, somehow, your TV didn't tell you.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...-20-oil-as-glut-overwhelms-storage-sites.html

Problem is, the shale reserves will still be there when they inevitably have to stop over producing and prices will eventually recover and the entrepreneurs they sought to quash will re-appear when they do. This is the weakness and the strength of a "free market" economy.

Truth is, though, it is not "free market" as it concerns oil in that you have a consortium of countries acting in unison to prevent the emergence of what would otherwise be one of the worlds largest oil production regions while our so called national government stands by and does nothing. No, wait, they did something some time ago. It was called NAFTA and GATT whereby our nation cannot legally tax imported oil any more to prevent such high jinx.

theophilus

Hmm...

I have a pen-pal in Abu Dhabi who claims Dubai is running out of oil. How EVER are they going to pay their "terrorist tax?"

*Don't mess with Texas. They have guns AND Rangers.

fzappa13

Hmm...

I have a pen-pal in Abu Dhabi who claims Dubai is running out of oil. How EVER are they going to pay their "terrorist tax?"

*Don't mess with Texas. They have guns AND Rangers.

Well, we have guns but the Rangers were neutered some time ago. About all they are good for these days is writing tickets and memoirs.

How've you been gal?

fzappa13

I'm good.

Moved into the country with lots of woods and changed jobs because I'm not able to wrestle the big dogs anymore.

I am a pretty happy camper.

:)

How about you?

Married into a ready made family and tried to clean up the town of their nativity ... almost most did it. That's how I found out about the ineffectuality of the Texas Rangers and the week link in our judicial system ... namely, prosecution.

theophilus

Married into a ready made family and tried to clean up the town of their nativity ... almost most did it.

Well CONGRATULATIONS! on your nuptials! I pray God's blessing on you and yours!

That's how I found out about the ineffectuality of the Texas Rangers and the week link in our judicial system ... namely, prosecution.

Hope you have your CCL.

:)

fzappa13

Still in Rock Springs?

No. Having succeeded in getting a good Sheriff and good Judge in place but failing to get a prosecutor in place I foresaw the criminal element I had been publicly flogging reacquiring power and using it to go after those I hold dear. That's what cowards do. So, we moved. But we are still in the Hill Country of Texas. One of the state's best kept and most beautiful secrets. Much better school system as well.

fzappa13

Anywho, back to the topic at hand:

Venezuela lobbied Russia last year as it sought to coordinate action with non-OPEC producers to halt the collapse in oil prices. Global supply and demand is best balanced by the market, Russian Energy Minister Alexander Novak said Saturday in Tehran.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-crude-in-mid-20s-if-opec-doesn-t-take-action

So, once they became collateral damage in OPEC's war on Texas, Venezuela wants to hop in bed with Russia who spurns their advance claiming to be champions of a free market economy ... that's "communist" Russia folks. Are any of you would be political ideologues paying attention to this stuff?

fzappa13

"This is just an effort on OPEC's part to see if they can outlast shale oil exploration and production in the United States," said Ron Ness, president of the North Dakota Petroleum Council, an industry trade group. "It's a strong signal back to Congress that it needs to find a way to get that crude oil export ban eliminated."

How about taxing imports the way we did before NAFTA and GATT you dipstick?

http://news.yahoo.com/shares-u-shale-oil-producers-plummet-opec-decision-163122047--finance.html

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Truth is, though, it is not "free market" as it concerns oil in that you have a consortium.

A large portion of the US economy is not a free market. The left has won. They care not about actually winning an election, only advancing the agenda.

fzappa13

No they didn't and that's what leads me to disagree with the author. They were looking to prevent the U.S. from acquiring any of their market share after the shale oil plays in Texas, North Dakota and Colorado and forgot to account for Russia in their plans. Their play wasn't going to last long either way because so much of their economy is based on oil and gas income.

I suspect prices will stay low for quite so time in that OPEC has a bazzillion tankers off our shores waiting for the price to rise and shale oil producers have been drilling and capping wells waiting for that day as well.

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
No they didn't and that's what leads me to disagree with the author. They were looking to prevent the U.S. from acquiring any of their market share after the shale oil plays in Texas, North Dakota and Colorado and forgot to account for Russia in their plans. Their play wasn't going to last long either way because so much of their economy is based on oil and gas income.

:plain: I find it more likely that the author is correct. That the Saudi's were in fact working with the blessing of the Obama Admin. on this one. Texas is the collateral damage, not the other way around.
The loss of jobs in Texas and the discomfort this is causing in American oilfields is nothing compared to the destruction the U.S and other western democracies economies were to incur if the petrodollar system collapsed.
This game is allot bigger than who sells the most oil.

fzappa13

A large portion of the US economy is not a free market. The left has won. They care not about actually winning an election, only advancing the agenda.

I quit seeing this as the result of one side of the left/right paradigm prevailing when NAFTA/GATT was passed. Those treaties had been worked on since 1947 (a very interesting year) by each successive administration and upon the occasion of its passage Bill Clinton took to the mike with the last 4 living presidents behind him. It occurred to me that whoever arranged for that visual had these boys at their beck and call.

With the passage of NAFTA/GATT We could no longer tax imports. Being now unable to protect American manufacturing from predatory foreign pricing by taxing it ( kinda hard to compete against 60 cent an hour labor) we lost our manufacturing base.

At this point it also occurred to me that these folks don't see themselves as members of a country but rulers of the planet. As such, the folks they put in power have no allegiance whatsoever to the country they are in and will cooperate with their handlers in sacrificing whoever and whatever to achieve their goals.

fzappa13

:plain: I find it more likely that the author is correct. That the Saudi's were in fact working with the blessing of the Obama Admin. on this one.

Of course they were.

Texas is the collateral damage, not the other way around.

You might feel differently if you knew the amount of reserves we are talking about. If prices and drilling went on unchecked there were about to be a scary number of brand new sheikhs in Texas. We're talking about that much oil. The only way OPEC could stop it is to do what they did. They had to put the drillers on their heels because once a well is drilled it is a non perishable proven asset to be used when one wanted as well as be borrowed against.

The loss of jobs in Texas and the discomfort this is causing in American oilfields is nothing compared to the destruction the U.S and other western democracies economies were to incur if the petrodollar system collapsed.

Well, yes, this is true but Texas is much better situated to survive that scenario due to the diversity of our economy. That said, when the rest of it goes down the toilet folks will flood into Texas and collapse its economy through shear numbers. Successive administrations have been working toward this already with their immigration policies.

This game is allot bigger than who sells the most oil.

I concur.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Also, Saudi Arabia and Kuwait do not stand to gain or benefit from a strong Iran or Venezuela. Both of which want OPEC to do what they can to get oil at 100-150 a barrel. Those countries are on a faster track to collapse than even the US.

A strong US economy is in the best interest of Saudi Arabia and Kuwait.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I quit seeing this as the result of one side of the left/right paradigm prevailing when NAFTA/GATT was passed.

Well, you are wrong. This is not about Democrat/Republican, because that is a fake issue. It is in fact left and right. The opposite of right being both left and wrong. :)

The left does not want a strong thriving free middle class. They want a ruling class of which they belong, and the servant class. That is the agenda to which Obama and Boehner both want.