oikonomía - the administration of a household or estate

beameup

οἰκονομία oikonomía G3622
Classic Greek from Xenophon, and Plato on-down, "the management of a household or of household affairs; specifically, the management, oversight, administration, of others' property; the office of a manager or overseer, stewardship"
Used by Paul in describing God's management of mankind at different stages in the development of God's message to man and the development of civilization.

The beginning of the present oikonomia:
But when the fullness of time was come, God sent forth his Son, made of a woman, made under the Law, to redeem them that were under the Law, that we might receive the adoption of sons. - Galatians 4:4-5
The "Law" was the previous oikonomia

Last edited by a moderator:

beameup

For this cause I Paul, the prisoner of Jesus Christ for you Gentiles, if ye have heard of the dispensation oikonomia of the Grace of God which is given me to you-ward: how that by revelation he made known unto me the mystery; (as I wrote afore in few words, whereby, when ye read, ye may understand my knowledge in the mystery of Christ), which in other ages was not made known unto the sons of men, as it is now revealed unto his holy apostles and [current] prophets by the Spirit - Ephesians 3:1-5

The Dispensation of Grace was preceded by the Dispensation of Law.

beameup

Whereof I am made a minister, according to the DISPENSATION [oikonomia] of God which is given to me for you, to fulfil the word of God - Colossians 1:25

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
@beameup I had to remove the Greek text from the thread title using the Mod CP because the site software locked the thread down, thinking it was a threat. Please only put only English lettering in thread titles.

Also do not use large blocks of bolded and large fonts. They are hard on the eyes. I have removed them from the posts--Don't use them on TOL. They can cause the site software to also lock down sections of the thread. Stick with the default font. Colorizing the text is an acceptable form of emphasis.

genuineoriginal

οἰκονομία oikonomía G3622
Classic Greek from Xenophon, and Plato on-down, "the management of a household or of household affairs; specifically, the management, oversight, administration, of others' property; the office of a manager or overseer, stewardship"
Used by Paul in describing God's management of mankind at different stages in the development of God's message to man and the development of civilization.
Paul never ever used the word οἰκονομία in that manner.
Someone made that up as a doctrine of men around 1830 CE and you have been duped.

beameup

Paul never ever used the word οἰκονομία in that manner.
Someone made that up as a doctrine of men around 1830 CE and you have been duped.
I'm afraid that it is you that has been "duped". "Duped" by Romanism. Romanism suppressed truth.
Just because a "truth" is forgotten doesn't mean that it will never be rediscovered centuries later.

genuineoriginal

I'm afraid that it is you that has been "duped". "Duped" by Romanism. Romanism suppressed truth.
Just because a "truth" is forgotten doesn't mean that it will never be rediscovered centuries later.
I see you are trying to add "false dichotomy" to the list of logical fallacies by claiming only two choices are Roman Catholic and Dispensationalist.

The Dispensationalist hacking and slashing of the Bible is almost as bad as the Roman Catholic worship of Idols.
The Roman Catholic's allowed in too many pagan practices and gave them Christian names.
The Dispensationalists reject that Old Testament should be used for establishing doctrine, for reproof against sins, for correction of theological errors, and for instruction in which actions are righteousness and which are not.

2 Timothy 3:16-17
16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:​

17 That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.

Roman Catholicism and Dispensationalism are not the only choices; there is a better Way.

Acts 24:14-15
14 But this I confess unto thee, that after the way which they call heresy, so worship I the God of my fathers, believing all things which are written in the law and in the prophets:
15 And have hope toward God, which they themselves also allow, that there shall be a resurrection of the dead, both of the just and unjust.​

Jerry Shugart

The beginning of the present oikonomia:
But when the fullness of time was come, God sent forth his Son, made of a woman, made under the Law, to redeem them that were under the Law, that we might receive the adoption of sons. - Galatians 4:4-5
The "Law" was the previous oikonomia

In order to understand the beginning of the present dispensation of the grace of God let us look at the following quotes from the pen of Paul where he speaks of a "dispensation" that has been committed or given to him:

"If ye have heard of the dispensation of the grace of God which is given me toward you"
(Eph. 3:2).​

"Whereof I am made a minister, according to the dispensation of God which is given to me for you, to fulfil the word of God" (Col.1:25).​

"...a dispensation of the gospel is committed unto me" (1 Cor.9:17).​

The "dispensation" which was committed to Paul is in regard to "God's grace", a "ministry", and a "gospel." Here Paul sums up his dispensational responsibility:

"But none of these things move me, neither count I my life dear unto myself, so that I might finish my course with joy, and the ministry, which I have received of the Lord Jesus, to testify the gospel of the grace of God"
(Acts 20: 24).​

There can be no doubt whatsoever that the event which marks the beginning of the "dispensation of grace" is the preaching of the "gospel of grace." Paul did not begin to act on this stewardship until Acts 13 so the present dispensation began at Acts 13. Then later others were given the same stewardship as Paul, as evidenced by the following words of Peter:

"As every man hath received the gift, even so minister the same one to another, as good stewards of the manifold grace of God"
(1 Pet.4:10).​