LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
From World Net Daily:

Official: Hezbollah used U.N. as 'shield'
Observer killed in strike wrote e-mail
contradicting accusation against Israel

Posted: July 27, 2006
5:00 p.m. Eastern

The United Nations post in Lebanon at the center of controversy over a deadly Israeli attack likely was being used as a "shield" by Hezbollah to fire rockets into the Jewish state, according to a former U.N. commander in Bosnia.

U.N. Secretary General Kofi Annan has accused Israel of deliberately targeting the post where four officials of the world body were killed in an Israeli airstrike on the southern Lebanese village of El Khiam Tuesday night.

But retired Maj.-Gen. Lewis MacKenzie points to an e-mail by one of the observers killed in the attack that backs Israel's claim that it was targeting Hezbollah, reported the CanWest News Service of Canada.

The dead observer, Maj. Paeta Hess-von Kruedener, wrote an e-mail last week to the Canadian television network CTV that alluded to Hezbollah's tactics.

"What I can tell you is this, we have on a daily basis had numerous occasions where our position has come under direct or indirect fire from both (Israeli) artillery and aerial bombing.

"The closest artillery has landed within 2 meters (sic) of our position and the closest 1000 lb aerial bomb has landed 100 meters (sic) from our patrol base. This has not been deliberate targeting, but rather due to tactical necessity."

MacKenzie said Hess-von Kruedener was indicating Israeli strikes were aimed at Hezbollah targets near the post, the Canadian news service reported.

"What that means is, in plain English, 'We've got Hezbollah fighters running around in our positions, taking our positions here and then using us for shields and then engaging the (Israeli Defence Forces)," he said.

There's a little more at the site. But, this is proving what a lot of people have said: Hezbollah is using civillians as shields.

CapnFungi

allsmiles said:
Civillians don't get killed when you don't fire rockets at them.

So are you saying that the Israelis should let them hide behind civilians and continue to fire at them? How dare them Jews defend themselves is getting to be an old and tiresome argument.

GO ISRAEL

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
allsmiles said:
Civillians don't get killed when you don't fire rockets at them.

Tell that to Hezbollah too. They're firing, purposely, on civillians.

allsmiles

CapnFungi said:
So are you saying that the Israelis should let them hide behind civilians and continue to fire at them? How dare them Jews defend themselves is getting to be an old and tiresome argument.

GO ISRAEL

You are just itchin' for a fight 24/7 aren't you? Tenacity and unpleasantness runs in your family.

Rockets won't kill civilians if they aren't fired at them. I never said that Israel shouldn't defend itself, but that's not what it's doing right now. Hezbollah still has power, they're still firing rockets over the border, people are dying by the bushel over there. Israel's strategy isn't working.

eisenreich

ebenz47037 said:
Tell that to Hezbollah too. They're firing, purposely, on civillians.
Yes, but Israel has proven much more effective at killing civilians than Hezbollah. (16 vs. 600).

It's not like Israel isn't giving advanced notice though..

The call that tells you: run, you're about to lose your home and possessions
http://www.guardian.co.uk/israel/Story/0,,1832183,00.html
Conal Urquhart in Gaza City
Friday July 28, 2006

The voice sounded friendly enough. "Hi, my name is Danny. I'm an officer in Israeli military intelligence. In one hour we will blow up your house."

Mohammed Deeb took the telephone call seriously and told his family and neighbours to get out of the building. An hour later, an Israeli helicopter fired three missiles at the four-storey building in Gaza City, destroying the ground floor and damaging the upper storeys.

Mr Deeb was on the receiving end of a new Israeli tactic of using telephone, radio and leaflets to warn Gazans of impending attacks. The army claims it is an attempt to minimise civilian casualties, but Palestinians say it is a new way of terrorising the population.

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
eisenreich said:
Yes, but Israel has proven much more effective at killing civilians than Hezbollah. (16 vs. 600).

It's not like Israel isn't giving advanced notice though..

The call that tells you: run, you're about to lose your home and possessions
http://www.guardian.co.uk/israel/Story/0,,1832183,00.html
Conal Urquhart in Gaza City
Friday July 28, 2006

The voice sounded friendly enough. "Hi, my name is Danny. I'm an officer in Israeli military intelligence. In one hour we will blow up your house."

Mohammed Deeb took the telephone call seriously and told his family and neighbours to get out of the building. An hour later, an Israeli helicopter fired three missiles at the four-storey building in Gaza City, destroying the ground floor and damaging the upper storeys.

Mr Deeb was on the receiving end of a new Israeli tactic of using telephone, radio and leaflets to warn Gazans of impending attacks. The army claims it is an attempt to minimise civilian casualties, but Palestinians say it is a new way of terrorising the population.

At least Israel is letting civillians know that their homes are targets (due to terrorist activity in the area). Are the terrorists calling Israeli civillians to let them know that their homes are targets or just firing on them?

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
eisenreich said:
The army claims it is an attempt to minimise civilian casualties, but Palestinians say it is a new way of terrorising the population.
Call me crazy, but I think it woud be a bit more terrifying to be inside the house!

Last edited: