Nurse Maria Issues Advisory on Medical Manslaughter Law

Status
Not open for further replies.

Servo

Formerly Shimei!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Granite said:
All this psalm does when speaking of us being "curiously wrought" (I love that phrase!) is the formation of the psalmist's body in the womb. There is no indication whatsoever that "life begins at conception"; if anything, given's the psalm's emphasis on the fashioning of the psalmist's body, quite the opposite.

Then there's always the issue of taking your biological lead from a book written by nomads who didn't--ah, what's the use.:chuckle:

Also Jeremiah 1:5

The Bible says it and science proves it. So you are pro life, unless the life is really small. Nice.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Shimei said:
Also Jeremiah 1:5

The Bible says it and science proves it. So you are pro life, unless the life is really small. Nice.

Remember, your appeal to the Bible means nothing to me (and it speaks vaguely enough, befitting the medical knowledge of the time, to be completely ambiguous). Science doesn't "prove" a thing on this issue (not sure what you're even referring to).

Don't appreciate you putting words in my mouth. So don't. Okey-dokey?

Servo

Formerly Shimei!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Granite said:
Remember, your appeal to the Bible means nothing to me (and it speaks vaguely enough, befitting the medical knowledge of the time, to be completely ambiguous). Science doesn't "prove" a thing on this issue (not sure what you're even referring to).

Don't appreciate you putting words in my mouth. So don't. Okey-dokey?

Life begins at conception. Why can't you acknowledge this?

http://www.prolife.com/FETALDEV.html

Servo

Formerly Shimei!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Granite said:
I do. I question whether a blastocyst can be considered a "human being" in a strict sense of the term. There's a difference.

Well a blastocyst is formed after conception. It is a human life. If not, then what is it? Just a mass of cells that has all the DNA and genetic makeup that shortly becomes an embryo?

When does it become human? After implantation?

Granite

Hall of Fame
As I have said before, repeatedly: I would quantify the beginning of "humanhood" or "personhood" or however you want to put it as when brain waves and heart activity can be detected. That said, I don't support or endorse abortion at any stage or for any reason with the exceedingly rare reason to save a mother's life when all else fails.

Servo

Formerly Shimei!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Granite said:
As I have said before, repeatedly: I would quantify the beginning of "humanhood" or "personhood" or however you want to put it as when brain waves and heart activity can be detected. That said, I don't support or endorse abortion at any stage or for any reason with the exceedingly rare reason to save a mother's life when all else fails.

Most babies have a beating heart around 18 days after fertilization.
So you would be ok killing any mass of cells say, so before 17 days?

Granite

Hall of Fame
What are you smoking? The heart doesn't even start to fuse until the fifth week of pregnancy.

Servo

Formerly Shimei!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Granite said:
What are you smoking? The heart doesn't even start to fuse until the fifth week of pregnancy.

The heart begins to beat before it is fully formed heart. At 21 days the heart begins to pump blood through a the circulatory system. Imaigine that.

I don't smoke.

Now how about answering my question.

Granite

Hall of Fame
I've already said I oppose abortion with one exception, Shimei, so unless you have trouble reading I'm not going to repeat myself. Okey dokey?

Servo

Formerly Shimei!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Granite said:
I've already said I oppose abortion with one exception, Shimei, so unless you have trouble reading I'm not going to repeat myself. Okey dokey?

So it is ok to kill the life before there is heart activity, correct? So termination at or before 17 days is probably ok?

Granite

Hall of Fame
Shimei said:
So it is ok to kill the life before there is heart activity, correct? So termination at or before 17 days is probably ok?

What part of this statement is so hard for you to understand? Read it carefully. (Or just read it, period.)

That said, I don't support or endorse abortion at any stage or for any reason with the exceedingly rare reason to save a mother's life when all else fails.

Get your mind around that, if you would.

Servo

Formerly Shimei!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Granite said:
What part of this statement is so hard for you to understand? Read it carefully. (Or just read it, period.)

That said, I don't support or endorse abortion at any stage or for any reason with the exceedingly rare reason to save a mother's life when all else fails.

Get your mind around that, if you would.

Granite said:
As I have said before, repeatedly: I would quantify the beginning of "humanhood" or "personhood" or however you want to put it as when brain waves and heart activity can be detected.

Shimei said:

Just say "no".

Also, to save the life of the mother. Why would it EVER be necessary to intentionally kill the baby? The baby may die, but when would you have to intentionally kill it?

http://www.prolifepac.com/html/art4lifemom.htm

Granite

Hall of Fame
Shimei said:
Also, to save the life of the mother. Why would it EVER be necessary to intentionally kill the baby? The baby may die, but so you have to intentionally kill it?

http://www.prolifepac.com/html/art4lifemom.htm

Shimei, you're being deliberately obtuse at this point. You know full well there are very rare circumstances where the child endangers the life of the mother. At that point an exceedingly difficult decision must be made; I, for one, would not choose to let both child and mother die if I could save one of them. Quit trying to get me to say something that I won't. I oppose abortion, believe it's murder, and am disgusted by the cheapening of life. What the hell else do you want me to say?

Servo

Formerly Shimei!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Granite said:
Shimei, you're being deliberately obtuse at this point. You know full well there are very rare circumstances where the child endangers the life of the mother. At that point an exceedingly difficult decision must be made; I, for one, would not choose to let both child and mother die if I could save one of them. Quit trying to get me to say something that I won't. I oppose abortion, believe it's murder, and am disgusted by the cheapening of life. What the hell else do you want me to say?

I want you to say that it is wrong to kill the baby once it is conceived.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Never said it wasn't, Shimei.

No wonder why the pro-life movement hasn't accomplished much: infighting and crap like this will bog down any movement.

Servo

Formerly Shimei!
LIFETIME MEMBER
The problem with the pro life movement is legal positivism. Don't change the subject.

Why would you say that you don't think that the baby is human until there is heart activity and then when I ask if it is wrong to kill the baby once it is conceived, all you can say is “Never said it wasn't”?

Is it wrong to kill the baby the day after it is conceived? Yes or no.

If you can’t answer directly then I will assume you really don’t have a problem with killing a day old conceived baby and I will drop the subject.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Shimei said:
The problem with the pro life movement is legal positivism. Don't change the subject.

Why would you say that you don't think that the baby is human until there is heart activity and then when I ask if it is wrong to kill the baby once it is conceived, all you can say is “Never said it wasn't”?

Is it wrong to kill the baby the day after it is conceived? Yes or no.

If you can’t answer directly then I will assume you really don’t have a problem with killing a day old conceived baby and I will drop the subject.

I have already said, repeatedly, that I oppose abortion. If you want to play the part of a pro-life Pharisee, ain't my problem. I don't consider a blastocyst a "baby," but I oppose the destruction of that life.

Servo

Formerly Shimei!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Granite said:
I have already said, repeatedly, that I oppose abortion. If you want to play the part of a pro-life Pharisee, ain't my problem. I don't consider a blastocyst a "baby," but I oppose the destruction of that life.

A blastocyst is a baby, just not yet formed. I am glad you oppose the destruction of that life.

Bob Enyart

Deceased
Staff member
Administrator
Granite says a human "blastocyst" has "nothing recognizably human."

Granite says a human "blastocyst" has "nothing recognizably human."

Turbo and Granite, I'm reposting my comment inserting blastocyst for embryo:

Granite says that a human blastocyst:

Granite said:
doesn't resemble anything "human" in any way, shape, or form.

Turbo, I imagine Granite is unaware of genetics, and the blastocyst DNA's four billion base pairs, which not only "resemble" something human, but are exactly and identically human in every "way, shape [and] form."

But then, that's just genetics, and you can't expect Granite to see much significance in something so tiny.

Then Granite thought he was describing a blastocyst when he wrote:

Granite said:
No sentience, no ability to feel pain, nothing recognizably human.

But Granite's claim--that a human blastocyst is not sentient--is false. And since he is unqualified to find "[any]thing recognizably human" in a blastocyst, I don't think he's intellectually honest enough to process the argument for the tiny one's sentience.

-Bob Enyart

p.s. While I haven't read this entire thread, I get the feeling that Granite is trying to distract from our challenge by splitting hair DNA over terminology:
(Google Web Definitions #1 for: define blastocyst) "The preimplantation embryo of mammals..."
(Google 2 of 163k for: define blastocyst) "the ball of stem cells that develop after a fertilized embryo divides"
(Google 3 of 163k) "cleavage stage mammalian embryo..."
(G4 of 163k) "in mammalian development, cleavage produces a thin walled hollow sphere, whose wall is the trophoblast, with the embryo proper being represented by a mass of cells at one side."

Status
Not open for further replies.