Nori's top ten of 2012

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Wow! That time of year again? It doesn't seem like it's been a year since the last one.

Before I give my list, I have to nominate a thread for Nori's top thread of the year 2012. In this thread, you can see method to the madness that so many see in some of TOL's members. I actually gave nine POTDs out of this thread. I think that it deserves to be placed in the TOL Hall of Fame. Open rebuke is better than love carefully concealed is, in my opinion, the best thread we've had on TOL in a very long time.

I don't necessarily agree, theologically, with every person on my list. But, when I see truth spoken, I have to give it credit.

Thank you, everyone, for putting up with me as a moderator on TOL. I love the job. :)

Now, for my top ten:

Number 10:

Nick M

Rebuke is love. That is one problem you don't understand. Love is an action, not an emotion. As defined biblicaly. It is a simple concept really. If your neighbor's house was burning down, would you tell them?

Number 9:

Bybee

If one loves then one will have occasion to openly rebuke.
It is the manner in which the rebuke is given that requires thought.
I have noticed that most of us do not care to be rebuked.
Nevertheless....:nono::think:

Number 8:

Mary Contrary

Do you think I'm an idiot? And am I?

Well, then yeah! How else am I gonna know? :idunno:

Dumbass. :nono:

:mock: chrysostom

See how that works? :D

Now, how harsh you are in saying that should depend on harsh you need to be, of course. Like, I think you miss some great opportunities to debate and make a good point to people who need it quite often. And how I find that frustrating because I think you have the capability of doing that and you waste it.

So, to you I'd probably say...:think:

Well, yeah, actually that. :up:

And, so, I just showed the love I have for you, rather than carefully concealing it.

Number 7:

Stripe

...biblical:

Proverbs 27:5
Open rebuke is better Than love carefully concealed.

Proverbs 9:8
Do not correct Chrysostom, lest he hate you; Rebuke a wise man, and he will love you.

Revelation 3:19
As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten. Therefore be zealous and repent.

Number 6:

Guy Smiley

It is saying that openly rebuking someone (in a righteous way, such as telling an adulterer that they are immoral and their actions are sin) is better than carefully concealed love (such as inwardly worrying and caring about the adulterer but saying nothing)

Its better for you, because you are performing actual love (love is a verb), and its better for the person you rebuke, because they are faced with the immorality of their actions. They may stifle their own conscience, but when rebuked they must face it, even if for only a moment.

Because open rebuke is expressed love, if done righteously.

No, it is open love
and
people need to be reminded of that
because
in our polite society its considered mean to point out others mistakes
but
lets not do it hypocritically. (I channeled my inner chrysostom)

Number 5:

Vegas Cowboy

There are great spiritual dangers in this life.

Trust me, I know.

God loves His children, and He wants us to understand the Gospel.

To lovingly correct someone who is in error is not to hate them. It is to love and respect them.

We spit on the work of Christ by not doing so. We defile the sacred nature of His sacrifice by allowing people to go astray in the name of "acceptance."

To say that all know and understand the Word, rightly divided, simply because we wish to remain impartial and inclusive, is to diminish His love for us and deny His work.

We cannot do for ourselves what He has already done for us. We can, however, lovingly correct those in error. Why would we ever want to do otherwise?

We do no favors by allowing others to be led astray in the "name" of God.

We do not love by being accepting of all creeds and doctrines.

We love by being right and leading people to the truth through His guideance, His Word, and the Holy Spirit of truth.

Being right and rightly correcting are not signs of arrogance, they are signs of love.

Number 4:

Cleekster

Eze3:18-(NIV)

When I say to the wicked, 'O wicked man, you will surely die,' and you do not speak out to dissuade him from his ways, that wicked man will die for his sin, and I will hold you accountable for his blood.

i don't see how a sincere Christian could not openly rebuke.....but there is a right way and a wrong way to go about it.....and on TOL imo there a many who go about it in the wrong way

Number 3:

Guy Smiley (again)

Well Matt 7:1 is not the end of the story. Read on . . .

7 “Judge not, that you be not judged. 2 For with what judgment you judge, you will be judged; and with the measure you use, it will be measured back to you. 3 And why do you look at the speck in your brother’s eye, but do not consider the plank in your own eye? 4 Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me remove the speck from your eye’; and look, a plank is in your own eye? 5 Hypocrite! First remove the plank from your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.

In verse 5 we are told to remove the speck from our brother's eye. In context, we are not supposed to judge hypocritically. If I'm an adulterer, I shouldn't rebuke you for it. But of course we are supposed to judge! We are commanded to "judge rightly" (its not some guy's name! I'll look it up if you want :) )

Here's a test for churches that teach Matt 7:1 and stop there. Take money out of the offering plate, and see if they judge you.

No, some rebukes are just mean spirited, inaccurate, and emotionally driven. On this forum? Some are, some aren't.

I can't read minds, so I dont know how often a person considers his sin. But the principle is sound, and Biblical.

I've never counted, but off hand I think its done self-righteously too often. But this is a forum for debate. It refreshing to have a place where people can speak more freely (than less freely). That comes with a down-side, but everyone here should be big boys and girls and understand the situation. The alternative is to kill open honest debate. There are plenty of other forums for that already.

It can be. When I was a kid, I didn't feel loved when I was being spanked, but in hindsight it was good for me. As a teenager, I didn't feel like I was being protected when I lost my driver's lisence for wreckless driving, but in hindsight, it was fair and just.

Number 2:

Nang

Denial of the Trinity, is denial of the deity of Jesus Christ.

Which denial proves to be anti-christian.

And unbelief in the gospel and redeeming work of Jesus Christ, as exhibited by all non-christians participating on this site, also exhibits the spirit of anti-christ.

The day that Knight assigns moderators who prove to be anti-christs in any way, shape, or form of unbelief and denial, is the day TOL destructs.

Nang

And, Number 1:

Spitfire

Traditio: You have to do your part too. It doesn't make any sense to have the flippant, snickering attitude about these things that you've had in nearly ever rep comment you have ever sent me, then act like your problems are the fault of everyone else the next. You yourself have to really commit to taking your own purity more seriously before it becomes a matter of sizing up others as a threat.

Everyone else: This isn't as completely ridiculous an issue as you think. It is monumentally stupid for women to dress provocatively and then complain about how they're objectified. Women who want to be seen as more than a sexual opportunity or sexual competition need to take things into their own hands by not flaunting their own sexuality to influence men or pull rank over less attractive women. Dressing modestly doesn't have to go to ridiculous extremes. But people want to have their cake and eat it.