No Creed But Christ...

mmstroud

Silver Member
Silver Subscriber
In just over 10 months here at TOL, I’ve discovered what appears to be a recurring theme, a common thread if you will, among the majority of those who are professing Christians: “No creed but Christ!” While I’m not sure anyone here has ever used that exact phrase, the sentiment is the same: “I don’t follow any man’s religion”, “I just read the Bible and believe it.”

A creed is nothing more than a statement of what a person - or a group of people - believes and teaches. The historic Christian creeds were responsive to serious errors that threatened the early church, such as Gnosticism and Arianism. The Apostles' Creed is a brief statement of gospel truths taught by the apostles. It was not formulated by theologians, but out of the needs of the Christian church. Christians used it to tell others what they believed and also to confess their faith with one another as they met for worship. The Nicene Creed was written around a.d. 325 in defense of the true Christian faith. The Council at Nicea developed it, expanding on the deity of Christ, in order to safeguard the apostles' teaching.

Visit any church’s website or request an “About us” brochure when you visit in person and you will undoubtedly encounter the church’s creed. It may be cleverly disguised as a ‘Doctrinal Statement’, a ‘Statement of Faith’, or even the more subtle ‘What we Believe’, but be assured – every church has one. Even the church that proudly proclaims, “We have no creed but Christ!” will tell you, if asked, that they either affirm or reject certain aspects of the Christian faith – even if only on the basis of not following any man’s religion and just reading the Bible and believing it. But hold on folks, I smell a creed:

The No Creed But Christ Creed​

I don’t follow any man’s religion.
I just read the Bible and believe it
.​

Examine the Nicene Creed below. Is this not a statement of faith that every born again follower of Christ should affirm?

The Nicene Creed

I believe in one God, the Father Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth, and of all things visible and invisible.

And in one Lord Jesus Christ, the only-begotten Son of God, begotten of the Father before all worlds; God of God, Light of Light, very God of very God; begotten, not made, being of one substance with the Father, by whom all things were made.

Who, for us men and for our salvation, came down from heaven, and was incarnate by the Holy Spirit of the virgin Mary, and was made man; and was crucified also for us under Pontius Pilate; He suffered and was buried; and the third day He rose again, according to the Scriptures; and ascended into heaven, and sits on the right hand of the Father; and He shall come again, with glory, to judge the quick and the dead; whose kingdom shall have no end.

And I believe in the Holy Ghost, the Lord and Giver of Life; who proceeds from the Father and the Son; who with the Father and the Son together is worshipped and glorified; who spoke by the prophets.

And I believe one holy catholic and apostolic Church. I acknowledge one baptism for the remission of sins; and I look for the resurrection of the dead, and the life of the world to come. Amen.

And Amen.