Newton transmitting to Voyager from Kitty Hawk

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThePhy

On January 9th of 2004 in his BEL program (titled “”Can I Get a Big Mac Please?”), starting a little after 53 minutes in, Bob makes a point that he brings up occasionally:
So at any rate, the earth is young, and Isaac Newton was right when he was responding to a scientific theory of his day. It said the solar system was formed by a cloud of gas that condensed, and it was swirling, and that formed the sun and the planets. And Isaac Newton said, “Uh, no, not quite.” The planets are orbiting the sun the way they are because God set them in motion. That’s why. That’s why. That’s what Isaac Newton said. That doesn’t mean it’s true because he said it, but he’s the greatest scientist whoever lived.
Many scientists are jealous. Of Newton. They wish they had the insight and mental clarity that Newton had. And many of them can beat him silly in a scientific contest.

Big talk? No. It’s just that since Newton, the knowledge that underlies science has expanded very literally a hundred-fold. Typical engineering students take mathematics classes that weren’t even conceived of when Newton lived. One problem that Newton worked on for a couple of decades was about how the gravity changes as you descend into a planet. Freshman or Sophomore Physics students solve that same problem today.

It may be that Newton, if he could be time-warped to today, could soon advance to the forefront of science once again. But is it likely that in so doing he would come to a conclusion diametrically opposite the army of today’s astrophysicists who feel that there is an immense amount of theoretical and observation evidence that solar systems can and do form from gas and dust clouds? Are today’s astrophysicists uniformly deluded?

Bob goes clear back to Newton for support against solar systems condensing out of clouds, rather than accepting the judgement of hundreds of physicists today. So if Bob had a question about how to carry hundreds of people across the ocean at 40,000 feet altitude in air conditioned comfort, who would he turn to? Not Airbus or Boeing – but to the Wright Brothers. Yeah, they are the ultimate authorities on flight, since they helped to start the field. And faced with a need to communicate with the distant Voyager spacecraft, certainly we should not ask Rockwell-Collins or Raytheon, but Marconi. After all, wasn’t he one of the fathers of radio?

Carver

So, are you talking about Newton, or about Voyager? Please stick to one topic. Also, it's not at all clear that you're asking a real question. It seems that you're posting rhetorical questions just to post the information. Which is it? And if it is a real question, could you please try not to make it such a loaded question so that there can actually be some discussion? Thanks

Adam

Hall of Fame
Bob focuses on current scientists too.

AiG comes to mind. So does Walt Brown.

I think that one reason Bob goes back in time to pick certain 'accepted' scientists for discussion is because you don't like the current ones he picks.

Jukia

truthman said:
Bob focuses on current scientists too.

AiG comes to mind. So does Walt Brown.

I think that one reason Bob goes back in time to pick certain 'accepted' scientists for discussion is because you don't like the current ones he picks.

AiG and Walt Brown = science? Oxymoron alert!

The Berean

ThePhy said:
On January 9th of 2004 in his BEL program (titled “”Can I Get a Big Mac Please?”), starting a little after 53 minutes in, Bob makes a point that he brings up occasionally:Many scientists are jealous. Of Newton. They wish they had the insight and mental clarity that Newton had. And many of them can beat him silly in a scientific contest.

Big talk? No. It’s just that since Newton, the knowledge that underlies science has expanded very literally a hundred-fold. Typical engineering students take mathematics classes that weren’t even conceived of when Newton lived. One problem that Newton worked on for a couple of decades was about how the gravity changes as you descend into a planet. Freshman or Sophomore Physics students solve that same problem today.

It may be that Newton, if he could be time-warped to today, could soon advance to the forefront of science once again. But is it likely that in so doing he would come to a conclusion diametrically opposite the army of today’s astrophysicists who feel that there is an immense amount of theoretical and observation evidence that solar systems can and do form from gas and dust clouds? Are today’s astrophysicists uniformly deluded?

Bob goes clear back to Newton for support against solar systems condensing out of clouds, rather than accepting the judgement of hundreds of physicists today. So if Bob had a question about how to carry hundreds of people across the ocean at 40,000 feet altitude in air conditioned comfort, who would he turn to? Not Airbus or Boeing – but to the Wright Brothers. Yeah, they are the ultimate authorities on flight, since they helped to start the field. And faced with a need to communicate with the distant Voyager spacecraft, certainly we should not ask Rockwell-Collins or Raytheon, but Marconi. After all, wasn’t he one of the fathers of radio?

Give Newton equal access to the scientific and engineering information of today and I'm sure he' do quite well against any modern scientist.

Johnny

Give Newton equal access to the scientific and engineering information of today and I'm sure he' do quite well against any modern scientist.
I agree. I don't think ThePhy would argue either: "It may be that Newton, if he could be time-warped to today, could soon advance to the forefront of science once again. "

Ecumenicist

If someone has to dispute scientific evidence to support their own faith, their faith is severly
limited and lacking.

ThePhy

The Berean said:
And, unless the modern scientific world has turned into a bunch on incompetent morons, Newton's new work would advance, not contravene current understandings.

The Berean

ThePhy said:
And, unless the modern scientific world has turned into a bunch on incompetent morons, Newton's new work would advance, not contravene current understandings.
Of course. Perhaps he might help solve some of the current "riddles" of modern science and engineering. Can you imagine Newton having access to a computer, modern software, and all the experimetal equipment of today? It boggles the mind. :noway:

ThePhy

The Berean said:
Of course. Perhaps he might help solve some of the current "riddles" of modern science and engineering. Can you imagine Newton having access to a computer, modern software, and all the experimetal equipment of today? It boggles the mind. :noway:
Which means he would be doing exactly what the scientific community is doing right now - extending our knowledge into new realms.

Presuming he was interested in the advancements in the fields he helped define, he would be working on quantum gravity (advanced relativity and quantum mechanics), astrophysics (billions of years old galaxies), and so on.

The Berean

ThePhy said:
Which means he would be doing exactly what the scientific community is doing right now - extending our knowledge into new realms.

Presuming he was interested in the advancements in the fields he helped define, he would be working on quantum gravity (advanced relativity and quantum mechanics), astrophysics (billions of years old galaxies), and so on.
Of perhaps he would get bored with physics, drink beer :cheers: and watch The Simpsons all day.

The Berean

koban said:
:darwinsm:

Very possibly.
On a serious note it quite possible and likely that Newton would spend a lot of time reading and writing about theology. He wrote quite a bit of books on the subject.

One Eyed Jack

ThePhy said:

Because the current understanding is the correct one, right? Sounds like a statement of faith to me...

Frank Ernest

Hall of Fame
Let me see ...

If Newton were alive today, he would come to the same "current understandings."

And if 21st-century Newton showed those "current understandings" to be erroneous?

Statement of faith? Sounds pretty dogmatic to me.

ThePhy

One Eyed Jack said:
Because the current understanding is the correct one, right? Sounds like a statement of faith to me...
If you mean faith in the sense that it is used in religious faith, then no.

One Eyed Jack

Frank Ernest said:
Let me see ...

If Newton were alive today, he would come to the same "current understandings."

Of course. How could he possibly come to anything else?

And if 21st-century Newton showed those "current understandings" to be erroneous?

No way -- that could never happen!

Statement of faith? Sounds pretty dogmatic to me.

Isn't it amazing how they don't see it?

fool

Hall of Fame
If Newton was brought back to life, and became a YEC, I'm sure The Phy would be more than happy to write an elaborate, detailed post on why he's wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.