New Person Here

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Quite a bit, but if you are asking me if I am an origenist, I'm not. I just admire the man for the breadth of his knowledge.

Origen was a textual scholar, theologian, exegete, and philosoher. It is not an exaggertion to claim that Origen was one of the greatest scholars (of his time). He is considered by many to be the first Christian scholar. Origen was the first textual scholar and therein lies, in my opinion, his importance.

However, I do not accept his three levels of meaning (i.e. literal, moral, and spiritual) and the allegorical interpretations. Nevertheless his intellect cannot be denied.

so what was so bad about him?
I think I know
but
I would rather hear it from you
since
you know him better than I

O

Origen

so what was so bad about him?
I think I know
but
I would rather hear it from you
since
you know him better than I
I don't believe I said there was anything bad about him. I just do not agree with everything he wrote.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Ok, I can't stop staring at this thing...I think I'm hypnotized.

Someone send somebody over to slap my face!
sFun_slapfight.gif

Nanja

I believe that the historical-grammatical method is by the far a superior method. As one scholar has put it: "God chose people to write the biblical text, and people write using grammar, in styles understood by their peers, and with deliberate intent."

Thus the literary genres and languages used by the authors of the Bible have to be understood in their historical, cultural, and theological context not ours. Their perspectives on these things are what matter.

The Biblical Hermeneutic is to compare Scripture with Scripture 1 Cor. 2:13.
That is how we come to Truth!

~~~~~

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
The Biblical Hermeneutic is to compare Scripture with Scripture 1 Cor. 2:13.
That is how we come to Truth!

~~~~~

That's part of it.

Some of it is simply reading Scripture in context and understanding verses in the normal understanding of Biblically defined terms.
Some of it is refraining from imposing a preconceived notion[especially allegory] on what should be understood in a literal sense.

OCTOBER23

Darby and his wife Joan were first mentioned in print in a poem

published in The Gentleman's Magazine by Henry Woodfall in 1735,

The Joys of Love never forgot.
========================
Old Darby, with Joan by his side
You've often regarded with wonder.
He's dropsical, she is sore-eyed
Yet they're ever uneasy asunder.

When Darby saw the setting sun,
He swung his scythe and home he run,
Sat down, drank off his quart and said,